Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my A/C compressor started making noises, whats happening is when the A/C is off the clutch squeals a bit and turns a bit too. When I kick the A/C on the Clutch engages right away, the noise goes away, but when it cycles off it makes the noise again and starts to turn slowly. Also I have a Serp belt one size smaller than the stock one. and still the idler pully is very close to the bolt that hold the A/C compressor.
Idler pully bad?
any other ideas?
Best place to get an A/C compressor?

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
TA-49, 009's, Hooker cat back, 3' BGC Downpipe with ported elbow and all the other usual stuff

·
Registered
743 Posts
One tip of advice that I can give is don't put it off. I put it off for a couple of years in my Cavalier and one day it locked up(not a pretty sound).

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She locked up on me today, didnt sound pretty. not somthing I can really do myself, I've never had any expirence with A/C. Looks like Its going to be around $500 to fix including everything. I just dropped it off.

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
TA-49, 009's, Hooker cat back, 3' BGC Downpipe with ported elbow and all the other usual stuff

[This message has been edited by Grannynational (edited January 23, 2002).]

·
Kicking Butt Intercooled
73 Posts
That sucks man. The compressor probably ran pout of oil. Mine did that to me last year. Not a pleasent sound, or small to boot
A/C compressors are pretty expensive unless you can find a decent used one. And if you haven't already, its probably best to convert to R134a refergerant. HTH

------------------
The Black Buick Knight.
'85 WH1 with the Grand National package added.
Ta33 turbo, 2.5"Uppipe, walbro 307 FP, Adj FP reg, Ultratrans rebuild with performance mods, 2800 stall convertor, Art Carr RV shift kit, Hooker 2.5" duel exhaust, no cat, no times. My Daily Driver!

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Work has been completed, I switched over to R-134a and it blows 48 degrees out the vents

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
is there any way to prevent that?

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
have your system checked for leaks, whent he refrigerant leaks out so does the oil. and if not when you have your system recharged make sure the through the refrigerent oil in too.

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National

·
Registered
88 Posts
My A/C system has been apart and off the car for about 4 years. It is going back together with a rebuilt engine. What should I do to get the AC operating again? Do I replace all the o-rings? Is there a kit to do this or one made when going to R-134a?
Can I check things out ahead of time before I get everything put together? Thanks

paul

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just get a complete Retro fit for 134, and it should come with everything.

Joe

------------------
1986 Buick Grand National
TA-49 Turbo, 42.5lb 009 injectors, Hooker cat back, Charged Air Systems V4 Intercooler, BGC 3'' Downpipe with ported elbow and all the other usual stuff.
Buick, Go fast with class

1 - 9 of 9 Posts