Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been wanting a gn for all my life, so its time to make a move. actually the one i have always wanted was parked by the firedepartment by my house, but for a while i havent seen it, till yesterday when i saw it with a for sale sign. only bad news is that its an 85 and i wanted the intercooled good motor. and advice you could give me on getting this thing in. it has the 200 and a posi, and it should just drop in, but what about wiring, vacume and any thing else. any advice or websights please let me know, i want to go pick that thing up. thanks
(if this post comes up twice, sorry, new here)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If you get it cheap enough. Then get it.
Swapping in an 87 engine isn't to bad.
You will need the computer, whole wiring harness under the hood, all sensors under the hood.
And I think some of the under dash wiring is different as well. I believe you will also need to do some shopping at a vender on this site. Caspers Electronics. Or at least contact the guy running it. He can tell you about everything you will need.I know it sounds like a PITA to do. But.... At least you don't have to rewire it like some people had to do when they put it into a car other than a regal.
I'm sure there are other things you will need.
Take your time in getting these items. Don't rush and hack the wires. (I've seen it happen)
Then you swap your hot air power plant and wiring into an S-10. And enjoy the Hp and fun you can get from that vehicle as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man. yeah, i heard something before about the under dash wireing needing to be changed. too bad i am horrible with wires and hoses. thats why i was hopeing someone knows a websight or someone lives in illinois and would like to help.
anyone know where i could get a vacume diagram and know how to read a vacume diagram, as well as a wireing diagram?

·
Post Ho
3,628 Posts
If you going to swap to an 87 wire harness.The only thing you need to do under the dash is plug the harness into the heater a/c unit and there is a vacuum line for the heater and plug in the ECM.I didn't need extra parts.It was plug and play.There would be a little more involved if the 85 has electronic touch climate control like mine did.Not too bad just a bunch of junk to remove.The 87 harness won't run etcc.

<small>[ April 06, 2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: MR Buick ]</small>

·
Lotsa G-Body Parts
1,411 Posts
Mr Buick did you get your ECC to work or just swap out to an 87 Heat & a/c controls?I'm thinking of putting in a 85 ECC into an 87 any insight would be nice,Thank's Brian

·
'84 Moonroof GN Owner
373 Posts
I converted over my '84 GN and did it in a residence 2 car garage with hand tools. headbang

Vacuum brake conversion (a bolt in) and S10 manual steering took care of the 1984 power steering/brake nightmare. The brakes are now the best they have ever been, and as for having to use some additional effort while driving you (manual steering) it assists in working off the calories of all the beer I drink.

White Racing provided the alternator relocation kit and it overcame any of the missing pieces pulled off from the power brakes setup on the motor.

Casper's Electronics provided the engine bay harness. It was pricey but well worth the investment. I probably could have gotten away with using their 231 V6 motor swap kit setup instead of requesting the '87 harness.

If you have any questions I can be reached at [email protected]

You'd think there would have been a great article in the GNTType website to help others in their conversion? hmmmmm... powersix

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just made the change (I/C motor in a Hot Air car) and it is tough and expensive.

I would recommend the change in 2 cases only.

First, if the car has strong sentimental value to you. This does not appear to be the case.

Second, if you have a wrecked 86-87 I/C car setting in the garage. Otherwise, you will be killed with the MANY $50 & $100 parts that are different from the hot air part that you will HAVE to find and buy. You would be $'s and time ahead to wait for a 86-87 to become available.

Conrad Carter

·
Post Ho
3,628 Posts
Exactly,that's how I did mine.I bought a wrecked 87 cheap,with good drivetrain and everything else I needed.I was having trouble finding a solid body and my nephew decided to sell his 85GN and he gave me a good deal on the 85,which did have sentimental value.So originally I did the swap and had it up and running for about $5k.I have since gone crazy on the car and have much more into it now dunno
alphaenvirmgt:
I just made the change (I/C motor in a Hot Air car) and it is tough and expensive.

I would recommend the change in 2 cases only.

First, if the car has strong sentimental value to you. This does not appear to be the case.

Second, if you have a wrecked 86-87 I/C car setting in the garage. Otherwise, you will be killed with the MANY $50 & $100 parts that are different from the hot air part that you will HAVE to find and buy. You would be $'s and time ahead to wait for a 86-87 to become available.

Conrad Carter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts