Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I've found an '87 T near my home for $5000. I want a Turbo Buick that I can drive every day.
It says:
*white w/blackout pkge.
*posi
*only 4268 made
*all orig.
*high miles
*little rust
Did the '87 T's have posi's?
Is the prod# correct?
Is this a fair price for it with over 100K miles.(orig motor)
Was the rear an 8.5" too.

[This message has been edited by 90rocz (edited March 30, 2001).]

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
The price is a little high for a car with any rust on it at all. my suggestion is dont buy the first one you see. Look around for a bit, then buy. Good Luck

Joe

------------------
1986 Grand Natinal
K&N and a paperclip

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I went and looked at the Turbo-T and drove it.
It has: 156K miles,
*leaking oil from almost everywhere
*rust coming "through" the door bottoms and trunk lid lip, and many paint cracks.
*rust on door jams, radiator support and misc chassis, mostly surface.(maybe sat outside for a long time??)
*leather wrap wheel coming off
*busted front speaker grills
*vertical tear down the drivers seat, cig.burn in rear seat.
*A chunk missing from the pass.front wheel.
*headliner sagging

GOOD POINTS:
*Runs strong w/NO knocks or pings, but misses a little at idle.
*everything seems to work except fact.boost gage, but it has a pillar mt. VDO 30/30 "T-ed" in at the factory gage hose connector.(11 psi was the max I noticed)
*Leaves 2 black marks 12ft long at a 4psi take-off shifts smooth, but no chirp to 2nd.
*No SES lights, Powermaster recently repaired. (the round black thing?)
*Has a digital dash.
*power windows and locks.
*GM am/fm/cassette w/equalizer.(speakers lame tho, vibration)
*reasonably clean, some staining.

QUESTIONS:
Is this what they call a WE4?
(small black squares on fenders with red "T"'s in them near where GN badges would be on a GN, digital dash, bucket seats, white color w/blackout package.)

I'm thinking of offering him $3800 he was asking $5000, what do you think it's worth?
I don't mind a little work, and I plan to drive it daily. Not much I can't do mechanically, but if I get it I'll have to search the archives for a lot of turbo specific tech. Namely "cleaning, flushing prev-maintanace and ofcourse modds.

Thanx for your help..

------------------
1990 IROC-Z 5.7L TPI/A4/3.23's
Stock:heads,cam,intake,short-block, the usual bolt-ons.Best ET:[email protected] street tires.

·
Registered
35 Posts
WE4's are black with the black out trim (WE4 is in the opt.sticker in the trunk)

Sounds ruff for the $$ I have been looking for parts cars(for a eng swap) and have considered cars that sound better than that for less $$
Be careful and don't get sucked in by the "low" price. it could eat you up QUICK!!!
think about it.....(with you doing most of the work)
1500 -body work (cheap)
500 freshen the eng and tranny
750 clean up the interior (rug ,steering wheel,seat recovering ect.)
tack that on to the price and you are in the territory of a sweet 80,000 car($7000-$9000)
I know that if you don't have the extra $ this does not help but you will spend it any way ....IMO....now or later! and you will not hate the car to boot!

There out there take you time

Good luck
Chris

------------------
Original owner
PTE 44,THDP,868's,port matched heads/intake,ported stock intercooler,14in K&N,every thing else stock!!
Best 1/8 7.87 @87.4 mph with Pep Boy Tires and 2nd slipping!!!!
Eng and trany apart...will be back soon!!

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
You might be better off looking for one thats not rusted all the way through. In my opinion fixing rust is like curing cancer, its just a little tuff to do. (I resurected a 1969 Cadillac deville convertable and two gallons of bondo later it waves at me like a crowd at the track
) But if your looking for a project and can get it at the right price go for it.

Buyer beware
Joe

------------------
1986 Grand National
K&N and a paperclip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts