Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of building the Stealth Mobile, I took the performance parts off my 87 GN and put it back to stock. Now, it wont run unless I'm threading the throttle. It will start and fires right up, but after a second it dies unless I quickly depress the throttle and then keep tapping it. If I leave the throttle in one position it will die. It seems to be running rich. I checked replaced the fuel filter and checked the TPS readings and they seem consistent.

The parts that changed were:
MAF
Injectors (stock injectors were cleaned and flow before re-install)
Stock Chip re-installed.
Turbo
Downpipe
Put the Cat back on.

Your ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Sounds like a big vacuum leak. Check all hoses.

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
try another maf

Does it run with the maf unplugged?

Vacuum leak would make it lean, but...spray carb cleaner or wd40 around the base of each injector to see if the idle suddenly changes...and around the plenum base, check the pcv line for leaks....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Double check your IAC settings. The stock chip does not have very good cold start and idle tables, so it may need some extra tweaking of the IAC and TPS to get to behave.

Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

PTE 44 turbo @ 20psi on pump gas. Jay Jackson’s 62 mm throttle body, ported and polished plenum and intercooler. Solid MAF pipe, K&N Filter. Blue tops. Hot wired 255 L/hr Holley inline FP., AFR. AC CR43’s. Type II coil pack and module. 8.5 Magnecor’s. Hand made TH style DP, 3” exhaust split to two 2 ½ inch Magnaflows.

Built 200 4R tranny, B&M cooler, stock D5 converter, B&M Megashifter.
Chopped Ford 9” four link setup @3:25 posi rear with a 300 ZX disk brake setup. Air bags, Bilstein Rally shocks.
85 Supra 57 mm piston 10” vented rotor front brake setup. Hurst Roll control. Tokico race struts, heavy duty coils. Nissan 300 ZX 15/16 master cylinder.
Dunlop SP 5000 205/50ZR 15’s, Ford power steering rack.

DirectScan, Caspers Knock gauge, Autometer 30/30 boost/vacuum gauge, Autometer tranny temp gauge. Jay C’s 94, Red’s 100, Thrasher 92, and my own chips

1 - 5 of 5 Posts