Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys! Quick backstory. Traded my 55 Chevy 210 4door July 2 for this 87 GN that I have now. Day after I took delivery the car started smoking out of the exhaust. The 2nd time I started it never even drove it and it was smoking. Took the car to Jim Dunn who went over it with me and came up with a bad turbo. Car has 87k miles on it and looks good for original paint. So with needing a turbo and in the current condition I was wondering what the value would be? Might consider selling. Maybe. Also has a small tear in drivers seat bottom. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Pics:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Honestly they aren't doing much in the $$ department right now. For what a factory turbo goes for used, it would definitely benefit you to just bolt a good working unit on the car if your going to try and sell it.

My .02 cents, (fix that turbo!) then put the car on Craigslist...the guys on the "other" site want everything for next to nothing...if that doesn't pan, possibly Ebay. i do believe these cars are going to see their day and go up in value just not in the near future and the original examples will pull the $$'s. As for a price, I would never tell someone what to sell their car for....start scanning Craigslist (you can go to SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search. and search all craigslist!), check Ebay, Autotrader and so forth and gauge your price from there. I was going to sell mine very recently but after driving it and thinking about it....I can't get anywhere the performance for the $$ and....it's a Black 87' GN :) My teenage dream car :6:

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
With this economy, they are worth what someone is willing (and has the cash in hand) to pay for it. Somewhere in the 8K to 15K range I would guess. The more "Stock" looking/appearing they are, the faster they sell. It's been a buyers market for so long now with this crap economy so your going to get beat down to nothing most likely. Like Bob said, fix it, keep it and enjoy it for a few years. Keep in mind this December they will release the Buick GN movie. There should be a pretty good jump in sales on the Grand National's just because that movie is going to open some eyes to these cars. So even if you still don't want to keep it I would get it fixed up and sell it in the spring.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the reason i really was asking is my wife is getting laid off after 20 years at her job at the end of this week!! I don't REALLY wanna sell it, but if it comes down to it my house/family are more important than any car ya know? I'm hoping that my wife can just transition into another shop(she's a hair dresser) and we hopefully wont miss a beat, but never know what might pan out. I do LIKE the car a TON and have always been a fan of the G body cars. I have a "mod/recommendation" list from Mr. Jim Dunn and just need to get the money together to have her fixed up right. Jim has a used turbo for me so thats no problem. There's a few other things i's like to address that he recommended so i'd like to do alot of it in one shot. Hoping i can save over the winter and have her going in the spring.
I havent met ANY of you guys in person because me being new to the group, but ya'll seem like a great group of guys and i hope to meet some of you someday soon and stick it out with the car, but selling it would be last ditch effort/worse case scenario! Thanks for the advice thus far.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also would be interested in trading wheels/tires with anyone if they'd be interested HAHA. Not feeling the 15x8 all around NASCAR look LOL. Can ya tell the car came from the south? KY to be exact lol. Wheels/tires have about 600 miles on them from what i was told

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'll put your turbo on for free...just grab one, that'll save you a few $$. Keep it if you can.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've changed Subaru turbos before so i think i would be able to handle it. I can't remember EXACTLY what Jim said he would do while the turbo was off but said it was easier to do while the turbo was off the car.

This is what i'm talking about with the guys in this group! You don't know me from Adam and are willing to help me for free!! THANKS so much for the offer i'll keep it in mind, but I know there was something else Jim wanted to do while turbo was off. $1500 total for all parts and labor gets me going to where i'd feel good about the car. Then save for other things little by little

·
Registered
829 Posts
Best group of people you will ever meet...another reason I couldn't part with my car.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Best group of people you will ever meet...another reason I couldn't part with my car.
LJ, listen to Bob everything he said is dead on. It's a terrible time to sell.

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Keep the car if your not going to race it keep the stock turbo they are fun. Don't sell you car right now you will be taking a loss. I just bought my T type last year and I got people telling me that I robbed the guy but cash talks. Most of us have way to much money in our cars to turn any profit any how. I would have to part out my other GN to make a penny. Hope your wife finds work and soon.

Stefan

·
Registered
123 Posts
Agreed; this seems like a good time to be a buyer, but not so good for the sellers.

There's an unspoken value in having a hobby that you enjoy; the value goes up when you find like-minded people. If you can make it to a meet and get to know some folks, it's worth your time. I've only met a few of the MAGNA folks, but they've all been great so far. In fact, 99% of the GN people I've met seem like good company.

Hope your wife finds something soon. Good luck to both of you.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
This is what i'm talking about with the guys in this group! You don't know me from Adam and are willing to help me for free!!
Welcome to MAGNA! :cheers:

Chances are he probably wanted you to upgrade the downpipe, which is a popular upgrade. That said - just to keep it going for now for a minimal cost, the stock downpipe is fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THANKS so much guys! Sounds like my wife might be getting a new job offer! Find out tomorrow for sure. That's a good thing and will def aid in the car staying around!! I'm gonna try to get to the oct meet at red robin to meet some of you guys as long as ya don't mind a 97 Legacy GT or an 06 Rav 4 parked near the GN's haha.

As far as what Jim suggested the turbo is DEF a must and he has a good used unit for me. The next issue is the car is running hot and therefore running rough and wanting to stall at red lights etc. and the other thing id like to do for piece of mind is the full system. A fuel pump, hot wire kit, injectors and a chip. All that is where the $1500 parts and labor comes from. I REALLY want a boost, temp and oil press gauges as well and a scanmaster but that will have to wait.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Welcome LJ :). This group has some of the nicest and most helpful people your ever going to see in a club. If you still wind up needing a turbo, I have the stock one off of my car I would let go cheap. The fuel system and chip parts new will run about $500 but could all be done in an afternoon if your mechanically inclined.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Now that I think about it...I think thats how I found out about the club...Greg helped me to install the hotwire, FP, and he was upgrading the injectors/chip in his car which he sold to me to get me off the rusty stock stuff.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya'll sound like a great group of people like i've already mentioned and hope to meet some of ya someday soon and gain more knowledge about these cars.

I've owned a few turbo Subaru cars and i LOVE Suby's but that scene has alot of immaturity in it if ya know what i mean. Feels good to be around what i think thus far is a much better crowd and at 33 i feel like im on the younger side of the group LOL

We should find out something today with a new place for my wife to work at so keep your fingers crossed for us guys. I REALLY wanna keep the car, but i'm bummed about its current condition and not having the cash to fix it right now. I just wanna drive it so bad haha. If she gets this job hopefully we dont miss a beat and can hopefully save a few pennies in the GN fix it jar and just let the GN hibernate for winter and get her going by spring.

Dont know how anybody feels about trades, but i have an HPI Savage X gas powered RC truck with TONS of upgrades/extras that i'd be willing to trade for parts or anything GN related.
And like i mentioned before i'd like to trade my wheels/tires to if possible.

·
aka Street Lethal...
268 Posts
LJLawrence said:
Well the reason i really was asking is my wife is getting laid off after 20 years at her job at the end of this week!! I don't REALLY wanna sell it, but if it comes down to it my house/family are more important than any car ya know? I'm hoping that my wife can just transition into another shop (she's a hair dresser) and we hopefully wont miss a beat, but never know what might pan out...
Wouldn't unemployment cover her until she finds something else...?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Prob would help some but def not what she's capable of making actually working.
Like I said we should know more about her future after today. Hoping for the best and that the GN can stay!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it looks like my wife was offered another job!! She starts Tuesday! Hoping that most if not all of her clients will follow her to the new place and it will be a smooth transition. That being said financially we've gotten a little begind and it will take some time to get back on our feet so to speak. The GN is here to stay!! Looks like she might have to hibernate for the winter and hopefully by spring if not before i'll get the money together to show her the little bit of love she needs!!
Gonna try to get out to the Red Robin get together in a few weeks to meet some of you guys!

On another note whats a good price for a stock turbo? A guy on the "other site" has a takeoff with supposedly 30K miles. I offered him $100 plus shipping but havent heard back. Prob a hell of a lowball haha

·
Registered
829 Posts
Gonna try to get out to the Red Robin get together in a few weeks to meet some of you guys!
Do that...join the brotherhood :6:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts