Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they both the same?
How much do they hold?

or is My dang Digital dash gauge is messed up. showed 10 gallons left & I pumped in 11.75 gallons.

·
prostitution for TR parts
1,477 Posts
18 gallon, but only 17 usable. pump doesn't reach last gallon in the tank.

·
Registered
108 Posts
FWIT most gas gauges are very inaccurate from 3/4 (15 gal) down to 1/4 (4 gal) tank, and some are worse. You should be able to hear the fuel pump when you get down to 2-3 gal left in the tank.
I don't like letting the fuel level get that low because the fuel helps to keep the pump cool.
Plus it increases the possibility of running out of gas, if you temp forget about the low level of fuel.
After each filling up, I reset the trip meter, I know that I can safety put 250 miles on the tank based on previous history. Between this and the fuel gauge I know about how much fuel is left in the tank.

Gary

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
SDsr said:
or is My dang Digital dash gauge is messed up. showed 10 gallons left & I pumped in 11.75 gallons.
Yep. I haven't figured out why, but on the digitals when they crap out they go from a linear reading to a non linear reading. In others words when they are working correctly you should see the "F" with a full 18 gallons in the tank and then it should go through the numbers at an even pace. What happens is they read "F" forever than go through the numbers at an accelerated pace. You may drive 50 miles before you see 17, than 45 miles before you see 16 etc and by the time you see 2 or 3 gallons you actually have 1 gallon. I've been playing around with the sending units seeing if they can be repaired or calibrated correctly. I suspect the wire windings pick up to much resistance as they age which causes the problem. I'm still experimenting with cross breeding parts off of other cars that use the same basic sending unit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
turbofish38 said:
Yep. I haven't figured out why, but on the digitals when they crap out they go from a linear reading to a non linear reading. In others words when they are working correctly you should see the "F" with a full 18 gallons in the tank and then it should go through the numbers at an even pace. What happens is they read "F" forever than go through the numbers at an accelerated pace. You may drive 50 miles before you see 17, than 45 miles before you see 16 etc and by the time you see 2 or 3 gallons you actually have 1 gallon. I've been playing around with the sending units seeing if they can be repaired or calibrated correctly. I suspect the wire windings pick up to much resistance as they age which causes the problem. I'm still experimenting with cross breeding parts off of other cars that use the same basic sending unit.
How about when I saw 6 gallons the mother ran out on the highway :(

I would love to shxtcan this casper reworked digi dash for a normal gn one.
You think the GN one would fit with ease?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
My digital dash is pretty accurate. The numbers are right where they are supposed to be and when it flashes 'E' it's not kidding. Guess I got lucky with one that works.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
For some reason I have a knack for buying turbos with the digital dash. Both Regals and Rivieras. They are pretty accurate for the most part. My favorite Riv that was my 13 second daily driver was by far the most accurate out of the bunch. Flip them over to the metric scale and you can have some real fun. Now my 86 GN is the weird one. I thought it was pretty accurate too. I went to the Reynolds race in November 2000. On the ride back home I was seeing about 23 miles between the numbers. Went to work the following Monday with 3 gals showing and ran out of gas! I put 2 gals in and jumped on the rear bumper a few times thinking that it was stuck by chance and still saw 3 gals displayed. I was so pissed off that I was 30 minutes late so I ordered up a new part. Now that one is acting funky. Put 5 gals in and it shows 9. It seems to be reading in 1/2 gal increments. I just picked up another Riv and it is totally screwed up even with a good used part in it.Hence my non-linear comments. I probally shouldn't blame the sending unit. Now that I think about it, it might have something to do with whatever processor they use in the cluster itself. I swap around clusters quite a bit only because I have some extras as spares and its cheaper for me rather than sending them out to Caspers to be reman'd. I wonder if that is possible? I mean the processor screwing up.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
when mine reads 9 gal. it takes 9 gal to fill it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts