Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i was wondering has anyone done a 5 speed conversation on a grand national? i have a 96 camaro 3.8 bell housing tranny and clutch and pedal asembly with all the lines, woudl it bolt on to a 3.8 gn motor??? if anyone has any info on this please email mee or reply thanksss
jimmy

·
Registered
464 Posts
i dont know about "conversations" but i would think you could do a conversion :D since they are both GM's. hopefully someone smarter than me will reply about it. one thing i've always thought about with that tho, is the fact that you could lose some boost between shifts, even if you are a master-shifter. so if in a race, it could be hard to stay consistant. just my $.02

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did a search on this early this week. I though a 5 speed would be alot of fun behind a GN motor. Turns out the nature of the motor doesn't cater to a manual trans. The RPM range is low on our cars and power is actually lost in a 5 speed. Do a search there is one good thread that explains it.

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
A friend of mine spent alot of money putting a G-Force 5 speed trans in his 87GN.It was very expensive and not worth the time and money(paid more than 3k more than 10 years ago) eek!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Like Ed said, it's not going to work. An auto is the ultimate in a turbo car. I have held 15psi while driving next to a big block and released the pedal and showed him my tail lights quick. Your going to lose boost on every gear change, launching will be tricky. There is a reason these cars came with autos.

·
Registered
345 Posts
A '96 3800 would have a Front Wheel drive bellhousing while a 3.8L would have a BOP bell housing.

Our motors would suck with a manual:

1. The don't spool the turbo until 2400 RPM and only rev to 5000 RPM.

2. When the turbo does spool, even a stock motor can make 500 lbft of torque.

The car will either be dog unspooled or break the trans/smoke the clutch spooled.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I remember correctly, Buddy Ingersol ran a clutch and Lenco years ago and ran so hard that the prostock boys wouldn't let him compete. He didn't have any shift/spool problems nor any launch problems when I saw it run at Denver. He just set the revlimiter somewhere above peak torque and let it fly. I didn't ask him what rpm he ran. Maybe a Lenco or a Jerico with the clutchless option is over the top, but it shure would be fun!

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
You really can't compare a pro car to what someone wants to try in the street. Jet cars run good too at the track but would suck in a parking lot eek! I read somewhere that he was leaving between 8000 and 9100rpms. I'm sure he came out on motor until the spool kicked in. Cool traction control :cool:

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Warp6:
I wish someone would do this and put the whole idea to bed.
I was working on it. But, realized that I have a need for a real life outside of cars.

So if anyone needs a balanced flywheel for a Buick Turbocharged 3.8L drop me a line. All of my parts are going. Maybe my clutch and pedal assy. too.

What isn't for sale are the research and cognitive property that are required for the swap.

It would be cool... :beer:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Warp6:
I wish someone would do this and put the whole idea to bed.
Myself and Lee (Corvair hybrid) have done this, and after a lot of aggravation, time and $$$, let me tell you from first hand experience...It ain't worth it. thumb_do My car is much quicker with the auto tranny. I ran a bunch of 4spds (Saginaw's and Muncie's) with the best of shifters, and a couple of Borg Warner T5's, and fried a bunch of clutches trying to get it to work right and be street-able. (The motor would just overpower the clutch eek! ) I ended up with a heavy duty clutch/disk setup, that kinda worked on the close to stock motor, but I wanted the car to be able to be daily driven. It got to be a pain in the left leg trying to drive that type of setup in traffic. ugh
All the cons that everyone listed are true. IMHO if you really want to shift that bad, put in a manual valve body, or...buy an import.
And while I'm on my rant rant ... Please do not make comparisons to other cars with completely different engines. (Not directed at you Joe :) ) Our engine is quite unique, with the placement of it power band and redline.
Now for all the sceptics who still don't believe us... Please, spend the time and $$$ and report back with your findings.

Paul canada

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
My GN is a 5 Speed, seems to work ok... :D It is all in the tuning!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Even if someone found a clutch to withstand the abuse I would be worried about my puny little thrust bearing on the 3.8 crank. Surely it's not stick friendly.

Also one would have to purchase a DFI at $2k because there is no way the stock ECM will deliver the correct fueling/timing going in and out of PE mode during a WOT pass. Little stuff to think about but it all adds up. powersix

·
Registered
396 Posts
Exactly what Paul said!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts