Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me what the factor "STOCK" 87 Buick T Types run in the 1/4 mile? From their best times to average. I'm strictly looking for stock not including exhaust cold air or anything like that. If anyone has times with boltons like CAI, catback, fuel pump, regulator, etc please let me know.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
That's a loaded question! First of all, where are you going to find a 'Stock' GN? They are 15 years old.. :)

With that said, I am sure a lot of us can take a 'Stock' GN and get it into the 12's. It's all about tuning and boost, things that don't require much, if any, modifications. usa

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
87MONTECARLOSS:
Could anyone tell me what the factor "STOCK" 87 Buick T Types run in the 1/4 mile? From their best times to average. I'm strictly looking for stock not including exhaust cold air or anything like that. If anyone has times with boltons like CAI, catback, fuel pump, regulator, etc please let me know.
Stock? ehh 13.8-14.5ish depending on location and car.

$500 bucks in parts.. Mid 12s are the norm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Orlando_87GN:
That's a loaded question! First of all, where are you going to find a 'Stock' GN? They are 15 years old.. :)

With that said, I am sure a lot of us can take a 'Stock' GN and get it into the 12's. It's all about tuning and boost, things that don't require much, if any, modifications. usa
not a loaded question pretty point blank really. I'm not looking for a 15 yr old car I just want to know the 1/4 ET's from the factory stock and with the boltons I listed.

<small>[ June 27, 2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: 87MONTECARLOSS ]</small>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TTA89:
87MONTECARLOSS:
Stock? ehh 13.8-14.5ish depending on location and car.

$500 bucks in parts.. Mid 12s are the norm.
500 in parts?...could you be more specific? A full second drop from say 13.8 to 12.5 or 12.8 for 500 bucks sounds hard to believe. Clarify if you would please as to what addons would give you that. Thanks

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
fuel pump/hot wire kit, chip, adjustable fuel regulator adjustable waste gate... done

·
Registered
284 Posts
Where are you shopping? Rice a roni auto parts?
The parts he listed are about $180, you can make an adjustable actuator for nothing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FROST:
Where are you shopping? Rice a roni auto parts?
The parts he listed are about $180, you can make an adjustable actuator for nothing.
again...not shopping for a 15 yr old car, wanted to know the average 1/4 et's and slightly modded et's. not sure wtf rice and roni auto parts is but whatever, not shopping for parts either, just sounded steep. I figured the chip alone cost at least 150. I'm really looking for statistics here not all the bs but maybe some more will chime in with 1/4 et's.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I never ran mine bone stock, but go to www.gnttype.org I think there are period magazine articles supporting 14.5-13.9.

I had:

9" K&N filter - $40
Test pipe - $45
fuel pump - $99
Homemade hotwire - $20
Thrasher chip - $25
Mark Martone FP regulator - $65
I cut and threaded my wastegate rod and added a coupler - $5
Paperclip to lock the tcc

On pump gas [email protected]

Added Thrasher 108 chip - $25
Race gas - $25

[email protected]

Mike

<small>[ June 27, 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: VIN7 ]</small>

·
Registered
633 Posts
Rice-A-Roni parts LMAO...$500 is a high estimate but people might sway from the norm and buy different parts. It can be done cheaper...let him be an UN-B E L I E V E R !

GSS340M
Fuel Pump Kit
with
Plug n' Play
Wiring Harness - $154.99*

Chip - $25 to $75 depending on brand

Adjustable FPR - Accufab billet aluminum $110.00

Adjustable W/G rod - free or kit is $20-ish.
--------------------------
Add that up - $ 289.99 - 359.99

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
87MONTECARLOSS:

500 in parts?...could you be more specific? A full second drop from say 13.8 to 12.5 or 12.8 for 500 bucks sounds hard to believe. Clarify if you would please as to what addons would give you that. Thanks
Your used to bolting on parts that do nothing, this is a turbo car. Increase the boost and you pick up 100hp.

My Turbo T/A (GN Drivetrain) has been in the 11s for $1000 bucks.

V8 guys don't understand till you try it.

<small>[ June 27, 2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: TTA89 ]</small>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VIN7:
I never ran mine bone stock, but go to www.gnttype.org I think there are period magazine articles supporting 14.5-13.9.

I had:

9" K&N filter - $40
Test pipe - $45
fuel pump - $99
Homemade hotwire - $20
Thrasher chip - $25
Mark Martone FP regulator - $65
I cut and threaded my wastegate rod and added a coupler - $5
Paperclip to lock the tcc

On pump gas [email protected]

Added Thrasher 108 chip - $25
Race gas - $25

[email protected]

Mike
yeah I found that site already but thanks. It appears from what I gathered there these cars ran a low 14 to mid 13 and with minor boltons low 13 to high 12's. My research is being used in a statistical analysis on turbo brand variation specifics related turbo v6 comparisons. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Yeah, bone stock, anywhere from 13.8-14.7. Remember weight plays a factor as well. One of my cars weighs 3800lb and the other weighs 3300lb.

But if you have a good specimen to begin with it takes little money to put them in the low 12s and if your lucky high 11s. Obviously the elevation of the track and the weather play a big part.

Mmmmm, rice a roni! It's the San Fransico treat, you know! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
forzfed:
Yeah, bone stock, anywhere from 13.8-14.7. Remember weight plays a factor as well. One of my cars weighs 3800lb and the other weighs 3300lb.

But if you have a good specimen to begin with it takes little money to put them in the low 12s and if your lucky high 11s. Obviously the elevation of the track and the weather play a big part.

Mmmmm, rice a roni! It's the San Fransico treat, you know! :)
lol yes sir I agree with the altitude. I'm amazed at some of the ET's you guys are running with minimal mods.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
In 1988 bone stock and street tires [email protected] 102 (not sure on mph) With a homemade adj wastegate rod ( $2.00) Got the boost up to surging and knocking point( no boost or knock gauge) with 100NL race gas 13.1 ( don't remember mph)
with 26x9 slicks.Added Hypertech and Kenne-Bell chips and removed cat and installed testpipe. With boost gauge at 24 with 110 racegas [email protected] Now with more tuning knowledge and a Reds race chip I went [email protected] I had a bad injector and switched to 36*Bluetops and upgraded fuelpump and went 12.35. This is with stock turbo and downpipe. I blew the turbo on a crosscountry trip and installed a T49. Now most runs went between 11.87 and 12.3 I added Kenne-bell ram-air but just looked good no gains. the only real cost needed to get in the 12's are race slicks and a good chip. Other parts needed now are for age replacement not for performance gains to hit the 12's

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ULYCYC:
In 1988 bone stock and street tires [email protected] 102 (not sure on mph) With a homemade adj wastegate rod ( $2.00) Got the boost up to surging and knocking point( no boost or knock gauge) with 100NL race gas 13.1 ( don't remember mph)
with 26x9 slicks.Added Hypertech and Kenne-Bell chips and removed cat and installed testpipe. With boost gauge at 24 with 110 racegas [email protected] Now with more tuning knowledge and a Reds race chip I went [email protected] I had a bad injector and switched to 36*Bluetops and upgraded fuelpump and went 12.35. This is with stock turbo and downpipe. I blew the turbo on a crosscountry trip and installed a T49. Now most runs went between 11.87 and 12.3 I added Kenne-bell ram-air but just looked good no gains. the only real cost needed to get in the 12's are race slicks and a good chip. Other parts needed now are for age replacement not for performance gains to hit the 12's
thank you for the detailed rundown, great info here, these are some helacious cars. I've considered doing a big GM crate engine in my 87MonteSS with turbo and I can just imagine what a huge turbo on a big V8 would do if a little V6 is producing these numbers you guys have posted. By the way how long did the GN hold the fastest production car title? It started in 87 right? But then how long did they go and what topped the GN for fastest Prod model?

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
87MONTECARLOSS:
By the way how long did the GN hold the fastest production car title? It started in 87 right? But then how long did they go and what topped the GN for fastest Prod model?
I think the next title went to the 89 TTA (13.4)
But This is good info for internet bench racing since most of the road tests were not done under the same conditions or environment. There must be 100 lists floating around with the fastest production cars of all time. Each one is different. Like the Z06 Vettes, they say 12.4 But at the track all the stock ones I see go low 13's in street trim.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
tuning is alot... ed can tell you how much i've learned (thanks ed) and how my car has changed with time as far as et.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts