Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, any of you have the procedure for replacing the timing chain set for a 87 buick lesabre? The car has a 3.8l engine in it. Is the procedure pretty much the same as our buicks? I dont remember where the procedure for our cars was on Steves page. If someone could help me out with this info that would be great.
Thanks
Charles

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I have not done a chain since I started the site...it should be basically the same as our cars...

disconnect the battery, drain the radiator, pull the hoses and the water pump...take off the alternator and its bracket....if it has a distributor, take it out. Pull the damper off, then take all the bolts out of the timing cover...look for bolts that come in the bottom of the front lip of the oil pan...take the cover off

Line up the timing marks on the two gears....pull the oil slinger off...take the camshaft gear off and crank gear

Maybe someone else can add whatever I missed :)

be sure you open up the oil pump and pack it with vaseline when you put things back together to make sure it primes...

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you are unsure of yourshelf, use a straight edge to line the timing marks.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, isnt there something else you have to do after you line the two dots up?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
FWD or RWD Lesabre? VIN C or VIN 3 if FWD? The RWD ones are similar to doing them in a GN/T but the FWD is different.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NJBuickRacer said:
FWD or RWD Lesabre? VIN C or VIN 3 if FWD? The RWD ones are similar to doing them in a GN/T but the FWD is different.
its a FWD,
I know someone that did that installed a timing set and cant get the car running. They lined the dots up and all, but I thought that it may have been something that was left out.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Then never mind! :crazy:

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
If it's like my 91 Riviera (3.8 fwd), then one of the sprockets (cam sprocket...I THINK) has a magnet attached to it that is read by the sensor on the front cover) They are prone to break off. Mine broke off. Threw a code...but still started though.

If it's not like my 91 Riviera (3.8 fwd), then :dunno:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
The only thing really different is the cam sensor is mounted in the front cover. It uses a magnet simuliar to what Zap has. Only yours has a mounting bracket attached to it. It is held on with one of the cam sprocket bolts. Make sure you use the correct copper washer when you bolt everything back up. If you dont than the sprocket becomes magnetized over time and causes problems further down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts