Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had the brake warning light light up about a month back.

The pedal was feeling a little soft before, and the brake fluid level was fairly low.

Topped off with fluid, brake warning light went off, pedal feel returned to normal.

Never any brake issues with this car while I've had it over the past four years.

Today the brake warning light came on at startup and it has stayed on so far.

Brake fluid level not near Minimum at all.

Key off and pumped brake pedal 10 times and the brake fluid rose up to near top of reservoir as expected.

There was no soft brake pedal feel beforehand, street driven car, no passes on the strip, no severe braking conditions at all.

Any thoughts on what's happening here?

Thanks in advance for input and direction.

Attachments

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
Powermaster?

Any puddles under car?

Check rear drums.. make sure wheel cylinders aren't leaking.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
So if you do not have any leaks get all the fluid out of the resivor it should be changed if it gets dark in color. Pump your brakes to depressurize the system put your key in turn the key to accessories on position. Your brake light should be on. Time how long your motor on the power master stays on. I believe anything more than 7 seconds the Black brake bowl would need to be replaced. main thing is keep the brake fluid clean otherwise convert to Vacuum brakes.

Stefan

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow,
Thanks very much to the collective MAGNA braintrust.

When I tried it again last night, the brake pedal was rock hard with very little give at all. I can't imagine the brakes stopping the car at all at any speeds higher than just crawling along.

Another friend in the area who has had these cars for 20 plus years agrees spot on with all of you sight unseen that the problem is the accumulator bowl.

Whew, a big relief to what the other possible problem could have been.

Thanks again guys & Motor On!

·
Registered
97 Posts
:headbang:
hard pedal means there is no assist , if the pump was running and accumulator is popped there would still be assist pressure just no reserve and motor would run constant
most likely the pump motor stopped running or its running and the pump section of the motor is done and there is no pressure output

if you buy the accummulator at 175.00 you own it
if it doesnt work youll be on the hunt for a new PM unit

for that much you can buy the vac booster - master and a pedal and convert to vaccum and never worry about the pump or accumulator again
:headbang: Great advice. My trouble shooting tree is ...... Light comes on------> Add vacuum brakes.:sw:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts