Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im now a new owner of a 85 t type and ive noticed that that manifold and turbo set up is different than the 86 and 87 what is the difference between an 85 to a 86 or 87 ? anything that will helpout i will apreeciate any info oh and where can i go to to see what this engine produces HP and torqu along wit turbo statistics its all bone stock an info is welcome a little help plz

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
84 and 85 Turbo Regals are what we call "Hot Air" cars.
They have no intercooler.
86 and 87 TRs on the other hand are intercooled.
Stock intercooler is bout the same size as a Big @$$ box of cornflakes.

If I remember the old 85 GN commercial correctly. They are 200 Horse Power (no time for chrome)..... Sorry. Went back in time for a second.

Try the following url for more info on Turbo Regals.
They will have lots of valuable info for you to soak up.
http://www.gnttype.org./

And Welcome to the Family.
My TR is an 84 T-Type..... But It has a 87 GN Drivetrain in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what ur sayin is that i can setup an intercooler in mine? and if soo where and how can i do it, to do it and find the intercooler and ducting for it?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Originally posted by turbobooster:
so what ur sayin is that i can setup an intercooler in mine? and if soo where and how can i do it, to do it and find the intercooler and ducting for it?
Yes you can put an IC in your car...... And no you can't.
I stated that my car was an 84 with an 87 GN engine.

You still have the 85 engine in your car.
Which means you would have to change the intake and everything on it. Headers and certain sensors on the fender well. And if I remember right. The ECM has to be changed as well.
In short. Alot of $$$$.
Best bet is to find a 86 or 87 Turbo engine that is complete and get the engine wiring harness as well as the ECM and such.

·
Registered
25 Posts
on contrar, my friend, Poston enterprises has a intercooler setup for stock 84-85 buick tr, expensive though, $1188, but is supposedly easy to install. you can call them and get a catolog free of charge at 1-800-635-9781. Nice catalog, 130 pgs of buick tr stuff for 84-87 trs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts