Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 82 Regal. I want to install an 84-87 delco radio.

Somebody cut the wires to the radio. :rolleyes:

I have the connectors out of an 82 Regal parts car.

Here are the wires for the 84-87...

orange (12v)
yellow (ignition)
black (ground)
gray (dimmer)
brown (parking lights)

Hoe much of it is the same for the 82? Like memory for example, the 82 didn't have it, it had the old school manual tuner with the 2 big knobs.

Does anyone have the 82 wiring color / connector breakdown?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

You mean the orange (memory 12v) AND brown (parking lamps) is new correct?

It's the additional / seperate external 2 wire connector.

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
I believe the brown wire is aleady there somewhere since the old radio had a light that was connected to the dash lights. I only remember hooking up a constant hot wire to the cig lighter.

Maybe I'm wrong (it's been a few years) and you have to tap into the dash lights as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There shouldn't be any brown or orange to radio in 82.

Here is how I understand it in 82 with manual tuner...

Group 1 connector = yellow, black, grey (power, ground, dimmer)
Group 2 connector = lt green RF+, dk green RF-, lt brown LF+, gray LF- (front speakers)
Group 3 connector = dk blue RR+, lt blue RR-, brown LR+, yellow LR- (rear speakers)

The yellow power wire would also light up the radio at all times, gray dimmer wire would dim when you turned the headlight knob to dim the dash.

Here is 84-88, still 12-pin, upgraded to illuminated, digital clock, and memory...

Group 1 connector = yellow, black, grey (power, ground, dimmer)
Group 2 connector = lt green RF+, dk green RF-, lt brown LF+, gray LF- (front speakers)
Group 3 connector = dk blue RR+, lt blue RR-, brown LR+, yellow LR- (rear speakers)
NEW Group 4 external connector = orange, brown (memory, parking lamps)

With the newer style digital radio, GM left the setup alone for the most part and just added an external connector to accommodate the newer radio technology. Everything works the same, only the illumination gets a dedicated feed from the parking lamp circuit (brown) and is able to keep it's memory (orange.)

No?

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
You might try looking for the retained power supply plug on your wire harness. I'm thinking the top of the line cassette radios in 1982 needed that wire as they had a digital display and clock. I know the full size cars did it this way, maybe the Regals did too. Usually the factory used black tape and they were just taped to the nearest part of the wire harness.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
I know what wire you mean now. I dont know what it is for. It isn't hooked up to any of the cars I have. There is even one on the Delco/Bose system on my Riviera and it isn't hooked up either. And IIRC there isn't anything in the shop manual either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It isn't hooked up to any of the cars I have.
On your 84, 85, 86?

If your 2 wire external connector, with brown and orange isn't hooked up, then it can't light up, won't keep time or presets stations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts