Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I put this 70 mm plenum on the car with a stock throttle body? I am going to put a bigger tb. on the car when I get the money.Just wanting to put it on so it is not laying around the house. Will I see any gain with it on?

·
9 Second Wannabe
269 Posts
You won't notice any gain going from a stock TB to a 70MM except MAYBE when you are running in the 10's.

------------------
78 Malibu 3.8 Turbo
New Best Time! 8th mile: 1.45, [email protected]
TURBO WONDER
TE-70, Stock Ported Iron Heads and Intake
2.5 Stock Intercoolers
86 Fiero GT
3.8L Turbo Project in the works!
Vernon Swindell, Jr.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Actually, I think the question was if he can use that plenum with the stock TB... right? Sure you can. As long as the opening of the plenum is bigger than the TB there will no longer be that darn step that GM built into the stock plenum! As far as noticing a gain, you might not with just the plenum change, unless maybe it is one of the "redesigned" ones and may help with a more "even" air distribution. As far as whether or not you'll see a gain with the bigger TB, yes, that is dependent upon your car and/or your combo. I'll not state any further as I am obviously of a biased opinion and there has been much debate on this in the past.

Last comment: I have a bigger TB on all three of my cars!

------------------
Jay Jackson
(the 62MM TB guy!)
http://hometown.aol.com/ygettv8/myhomepageindex.html

"YGETV8" '86 gray T-Type 94K... high tens...?? (STILL "some assembly required"!) Girdled stock block, Stealth turbo, 20 row IC, 65mm "stock" TB, PI 9.5" 7-disc, Jimmy's Trans, P&P heads, 218/218, Hooker Headers, 3" D.P., HKS w.g., thumbwheel chip, and more... (previously ran [email protected] with the stock long block, DOTs, thru the muff, & on pump gas!)

'86 GN "Beater"... 139K driver w/ P&P stock turbo, 21.5 psi boost, K&N, 3" DP and ported elbow, Z93 chip, 30# inj., Walbro 307, AFPR, new valve springs, alum. drums, 2.5" IC neck, 62mm TB/upper, and that's about it! Best ET: 12.61 (on 215/65 all season radials!); best MPH: 111.97! Now: pump gas and alky, Z100 chip, and GNX wheels w/ Radial TAs = 12.60 @ 110.87!

'87 WE4 59K ... stock combo: [email protected] on 265/50-16 radial TAs on it's maiden voyage to the track!! Now with: 62mm TB, P&P elbow w/ 3" DP, TA61, and a MJ 17 row IC!

·
Registered
243 Posts
It was my understanding that a stock TB wouldn't completely cover the 70mm hole in the upper plenum. This is what I was told when someone returned a 70mm plenum that I sold them. I guess I need to bolt a stock TB to it to verify.

------------------

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oops! Didn't even think of that! Easy enough to verify though, I guess. Good point, Cal!

Jay

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you check it let me know.
I will wait to get a 70 mm throttle body before I do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts