Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see this weeks National Dragster? There is a ad in there (page 36)about a legal SS/DX, 87 Grand National making a 7.98 pass at 167.44. Making it the first seven second super stock car in the world... The car also holds the MPH record at 171.31. Thats flying for anything but a LEGAL super stocker!!! Anyone have any info on this car?? Owned by John Gallina, but I can't find anything about the car...

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Sure, John and Marka have been tearing them up for a long time. Duttweiller used to have a lot of input with their cars and may still have. They were members of the mailing list and probably still are.

Here is their site.

http://www.fastbuicks.com/ :)

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Did you notice it is 207ci?

Dave Wicks from Orlando had his SS/DX car at Reynolds last Nov and ran it for the first time in a couple of years. Think it went 8.60 after breaking a rocker at the 1/8-mile. Dave's setup is a 215ci TT.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
what i dont get tho is that in stock your not aloud to change the stroke or bore of your motor and gotta run the factory amount of cubes. i'm dying to see this car in etown tho for a nhra national event

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
I never understood the classes of racing either.

Nothing is stock about a 7 second Buick expect maybe the emblems on the car.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
the car must be stock appering. and SHOULd have the stock bore stroke but your aloud to use all upgraded parts for stock.

ie. you go stock in a 85 z28. should be stock bore, stroke and the stock carb. your aloud change gears but not trannys eather. (i THINK.) i looked in to making my gn a car for stock but its too much.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can't tell you anything about the rules for the classes but their class is know as "experimental". Believe me, regardless of the name of the class the car does not look stock in any way shape or form. If I remember correctly John told me last year that the only thing left on the car that is actually from the stock GN is the windsheild. yup

It is a Duttweiler built stage II twin turbo motor. Kenny still does pretty much all of the tuning, even by phone (John has his # programmed in his cell phone :p )

That run was at my home track in Mission BC. I skipped out of work early but I missed the pass by about 5 minutes. I spent most of the rest of the day with John and the guys though.

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: c&cgn ]</small>

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hi Don,

I saw the title of your post and I thought you would be talking about your car. wink

Say 'hi' to Irela.

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: GNCOL ]</small>

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Jim, I can't go 7.98 cause I won't give up the A/C LOL.. Irela says HI... powersix

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Steve, Thats a pretty cool website John has. powersix

·
Registered
683 Posts
Tell me where you can buy a Pontiac GAm with a 500 cu in. engine stock or monte Carlo with the same cube engine! Point made is factoring to run in that class? Buddy Engersoll ran low low 7's and 200 mph in his car years ago! His was a small Indy Block with rollerized cam bearings and all the good stuff from Buick and they (Buick Eng.) helped him make it run right! Running a small cube Buick V6 makes it an even race running against a 500 cube V8?!!! Kinda like a Mustang running a Turbo that they never came with stock against a TR! Gene

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
He is running SS/D X

It has nothing to do with stock. Experimental :)

Anyone remember the '60s and the Experimental classes? Nah, did not think so. frown

<small>[ June 20, 2003, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Steve Wood ]</small>

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
ILBCNU6:
Tell me where you can buy a Pontiac GAm with a 500 cu in. engine stock or monte Carlo with the same cube engine! Point made is factoring to run in that class? Buddy Engersoll ran low low 7's and 200 mph in his car years ago! His was a small Indy Block with rollerized cam bearings and all the good stuff from Buick and they (Buick Eng.) helped him make it run right! Running a small cube Buick V6 makes it an even race running against a 500 cube V8?!!! Kinda like a Mustang running a Turbo that they never came with stock against a TR! Gene
the NHRA rules for superstock is that you need to run stock bore and stroke....

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
the NHRA rules for superstock is that you need to run stock bore and stroke....
Don't know about the rest of the SS classes, but from speaking with Dave Wicks, SS/DX is based on weight and displacement and if memory serves me right, I recall 16lbs/ci. John's car with a 207ci engine is a little lighter than Dave's running a 215ci. One other amazing thing is that the turbos are limited in size and real tiny! I believe Dave says he twists his up to 8800!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Anyone remember the '60s and the Experimental classes? Nah, did not think so.
nah Steve...but i DO remember reading about it. wink :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Long as it was not your grandfather that told you about it! LOL

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Steve, I not only remember the experimental classes but I raced in both b/xs and c/xs...back in the early 70's (showing my age)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Sounds like you are still a kid!

You member Kelly Chadwick? I met an old couple downtown the other day that are friends with him. They said he was thinking about moving here. He must be really desperate or they have never sent him a picture of this place!

:)

those cars did not post times like ours do these days but there were sure a lot of interesting factory backed offerings in the '60s-early '70s.

Arnie Beswick was a favorite of mine before I went overseas to work.

Shut up, Zap, you would not know tech if some one nailed to your sloping forehead. loser

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back when I ran in super stock (SS/F) you had to use the correct block, heads, compression ratio, even the correct carb, you could change the intake but it had to resemable the stock intake, headers were premitted, camshaft change was permitted but could not be a roller cam, any gear ratio and rear tires up to 14x32. With that mindset the though of this Grand National in super stock really shocked me. But now after seeing the rule book and understanding the experimental part I can better understand the car and why its so fast.. Still wouldn't take anything away from what John has done with this car. This car is just amazing..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts