Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that now that I have 50# injectors on my car, I can not run unleaded gas in it. Just racing fuel.....is this true??

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
No, that's not true. Whoever told you that..don't listen to them anymore. There are folks running 50lb injectors in their daily drivers, some use alcohol, but that's not necessary, it just adds to the fun. You can use any size injectors with unleaded gas, and use unleaded gas with any size injectors.

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
hahahah who told you that? Don't listen to another word they say. lol

Now, if you have a racechip with the boost turned up you can't run pumpgas or you will put the crank in the street.

------------------
-Mike

1989 Turbo Trans-Am
[email protected] w/ 1.56
New Motor at the machine shop.

1998 LS1 Trans-Am 6-Speed
[email protected] Factory Stock

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh, its a guy that doesnt know a lot about GN's. But now I do have a chip in it....I dunno about it being a racing chip, the guy I bought the car from made one for me in order for me to run my 50's and my boost is set at about 20 psi right now. I just got the chip so I havent had time to mess around with the car yet. I didnt know if there was any truth to the gas statement or not.

Anywho you are saying that if I turn up the boost and the chip is a racing chip then I cant run unleaded? Just clearing up the air.....

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I hope you are watching for detonation with a scan tool or knock alarm. 20# on pump gas can be detrimental to head gaskets and bearings.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh I have a scanmaster.....but in conclusion...can I or cant I use pump gas with my 50# injectors?

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Absolutely.I've been doing it for two years.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yes you can with a low timing chip and low boost. As TTA89 said, if you crank up the boost and the timing you will need race gas or alcohol injection to prevent knock retard.

------------------

Jim: 87 GN with: TA-49/PTE .63 housing; stock motor, transmission and converter; MSD 50#; CAS V-4; 3" DP; ATR 2.5" SS exhaust; 62 JJ TB/stock plenum; RJC power plate; Translator w/3" MAF; Bigmouth air system; SMC alcohol; Walbro 340; BFG DRs; and Extender 100 chip with 23* timing. Best ET/mph with w/93 octane + alcohol were 11.961/117.05.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright.....thanks everyone

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
I was on the edge of detonation with 19psi and 94 octane.

Are you getting knock at 20psi on the scanmaster? Id be really suprised if your not.

Leaded or unleaded has no effect on any injectors. Lead does affect the Cat (which should be gone anyways) and it will kill 02 sensors.

------------------
-Mike

1989 Turbo Trans-Am
[email protected] w/ 1.56
New Motor at the machine shop.

1998 LS1 Trans-Am 6-Speed
[email protected] Factory Stock

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have #50 injectors on my car, and I set my max boost at 18 lbs. and I don't get any knock. I run 93 94 octane depends where I get gas, and it runs good. If youre not sure about your chip have Jin Testa make you one, he made mine for me. Good luck. Tarey D.

------------------
87GN Stock Motor 50 K mi.TE 60 with.63 ext.housing #50msds. 62mmTB. by Jay Jackson, Powerplate,Jim Testa chip, Hotwired XP.KB.adj. FP reg. PTE Front Mt. Boxed upr.&lr. cont.arms, Urethane bush. Carrera shocks,Mike Kurtz Racing trans,2800stall.GNX rear seat brace. GNX trans cooler. 4core rad.Cyberdyne Digital Dash. Casper Knock Gage .BGC Exht. elbow &3"downpipe. 2 3/4"dual exht.Kirban springs & Chrome stuff. Spectre Braided Stainless hose&Alum. Fittings Ramchargers Translator,Scanmaster 2, Westech EGT. gage & more mods on the way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Originally posted by TTA89:

Now, if you have a racechip with the boost turned up you can't run pumpgas or you will put the crank in the street.

Yes, BUT...as you know Mike..sometimes it doesn't matter...the crank...and other stuff, ends up all over the street anyways...

And also, when DIDN'T you drive around without race gash?

------------------
RandyCustomShop
"Firechicken"
1982/84/86/87/88/89 Firebird
V6 Turbo
11.31 @ 121.11 w/a 1.67
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts