Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by someone that the 5.7 TT operates on a 160 thermostat basis or something like that? Is that true?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking about doing a Fbody Rad and new hoses. I have the Original rad and it crept up to 200 today. I'm thinking a new Rad and 160 thermostat.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
I've got an F-body rad and a 160° thermostat in my car and the hottest it got on Friday afternoon was 167° in stop and go traffic with the AC running. Once I got out of traffic and was moving it was right back down to 161°. :headbang:

The F-body rad is a great deal. :yup:

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've got an F-body rad and a 160° thermostat in my car and the hottest it got on Friday afternoon was 167° in stop and go traffic with the AC running. Once I got out of traffic and was moving it was right back down to 161°. :headbang:

The F-body rad is a great deal. :yup:
Paul, you could probably go with a 180*stat in there and she'd stay around 180-185 I bet.
Wouldn't mind doing the F body rad myself. Had the T out for a nice long drive yesterday and it was creeping above 200* in stop n go with the AC on.
Once cruz'n on the hwy, temps would drop back down to 185-190*
I have the stock rad in there now with the oil cooler hooked up

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm how much would the whole conversion to Fbody rad cost? And what is the benefits of the motor running at a constant of 160 rather then 180-185?

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Paul, you could probably go with a 180*stat in there and she'd stay around 180-185 I bet.
Wouldn't mind doing the F body rad myself. Had the T out for a nice long drive yesterday and it was creeping above 200* in stop n go with the AC on.
Once cruz'n on the hwy, temps would drop back down to 185-190*
I have the stock rad in there now with the oil cooler hooked up
Jim,

I realize that I could run a 180° stat in the car, but I prefer to run it a little cooler to help keep detonation away. I realize I MAY be getting a little more wear with the 160° stat than a 180 but I prefer the chance of a little extra wear over the chance of a little detonation. :yup:

Hmm how much would the whole conversion to Fbody rad cost? And what is the benefits of the motor running at a constant of 160 rather then 180-185?
The F-body rad cost ~ $140 at Canadian Tire when I got it and I think that was all I needed. There is a step by step section here on this site and Vortex (Steve Woods Site) that talks about using an external oil cooler but I didn't use an external oil cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.