Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been searching for aHonda XR650 and haven't had any luck-I did see a Honda CR500 on ebay that was made street legal and I thought that would work out great for the type of riding I want to do

so what do you think-keep searching for the 4 stroke XR650 or get a 2 stroke and ad the parts to make it street legal ????

·
Registered
112 Posts
keep looking for a 4 stroker. i bought a xr600R (1998 - baja designs dual sport kit) last fall and just love it. minimal maintenance of a 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke. also nice low end torque. not saying that a 2 stroke doesnt haul but i wouldnt always want to be up in the powerband. i just regeared mine to a 15 tooth front sprocket so it really cruises nice at 70 mph. lost a little low end but its easy to change back to the 14 tooth if i go out to hit some trails. i havent tried the 13 tooth that came with the bike yet.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have never owned a 2-stroke, but I have ridden them. If any amount of street were involved, I would buy 4-stroke.

I may have bias. My first bike was a '62 Triumph Thunderbird, my last was a '88 Yamaha V-Max. I rode a new Hayabusa today(monday).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a Yamaha XT600 from 1990 to 1997 it was a great bike but I sold it for cash when I had to quit a crappy job

so after reading tons of info on the Honda XR650R -they say the XR is way ahead of the XT in power and handling

I also owned a Honda CR250 from 1986 to 1995 now that was a fun bike for the trails and hillclimbs

guess I'll keep searching for an XR

·
Registered
112 Posts
are you set on a xr650? i've never personally rode one so i cant say if its tons better than the xr600. lots of good discussion on both on Thumpertalk.com. they both share a forum:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22

the 600 will be cheaper and its a very proven design. lots and lots of aftermarket stuff. dont know if they are any more readily available then a 650. around here both are really scarce

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts
2 strokes haul but are high maint, the top end will get tired in the 2 stroke while the 4 stroker keeps going.

4 stroke gets better gas mileage, quieter, only fuel and crankcrank oil no 2 stroke oil.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts