Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dont visit foreign SITES
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4.1 is destined for the GTA
Here are a few pics. Engine is in the car now and hoping to light off tomorrow or Sunday.
This project wasn't the smoothest evolution....I spewed so much profanity this last week, I wont ever cuss again....cause I'll be empty. :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Looks nice. I like the 6 on the intake

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
can't wait for mine to be done, looks good :yup:

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Looking Good! Are you running the Hypers?

·
Dont visit foreign SITES
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good grief.

OH MY GOD...
Lots of cussing today! (I drew on reserves) I got the engine in the car, mounts bolted up, trans bell housing bolts, balancer, crank sensor set, water pump, pulleys on, and I was ready to insert the cam sensor.
So I grabbed my oil pump priming tool attached it to my drill. The cordless drill was struggling to keep up against the heavy fluid and then I notice a tiny stream of oil shooting out :crazy: :confused:
It looked like it was from the oil pressor sensor/brass.
I stop and get the flashlight start the drill again and SOB! there is a smaller than a pinhole in the front cover's passage that leads to the block ; right in the seam :rant: .
It was a used GM cover I had laying around that I inspected super carefully (I guess not enough) it was glass beaded and cleaned thoughly and painted.
Everyone seems to be having front cover issues latley why should I be the exception. :dunno:
But that sucked it set me back 5 hours I had to drop the pan not (easy on the F-body) and even replace the pan gasket which I got lucky by sneaking it in and past the pick up some how. What a PIA.
I wound up using the old cover from the 3.8 that I pulled out of the car it worked good just had 8K on it. But what a set back! I guess it could have been worse I could have put the ALT, tensioner Intercooler and fans all in place then found out....
I made a little more progress after I got it all buttoned up like crossover and tourque convertor bolted up. Hopefully tomorrow I get to light it off.
I am using the Speed pro Hypers with the dry film lube coating on the skirts.
And as for the studs they are ARP for 85 and earlier dont remember the P/n off hand.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
That's good. What were you specs for piston to wall and ring gaps? Total Seals I hope :D

·
Irish ****
1,716 Posts
That looks mint! Hey, did you have your inj rail chromed or did you buy it like that?

·
Dont visit foreign SITES
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didnt verify piston to wall clearance I let the machinist measure and bore to specs.
I'm not using total seals. I am using the Sealed Power premium moly ring

The rail was chromed years ago, looks good but I wouldnt recommend doing it though, it is flaking off in some areas. I dont know if they did a crap job or not.

I havent fired the car yet. I think I set the cam sensor wrong (180) when I pulled the front cover and reinstalled the hub I lost track of rotations and was rushing to get finnished before the place closed.
Will verify today. & post more pics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts