Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
other night me and my buddy wit an early 90s 300zxtt decided to hit up the car show over at saddle brook bennigans. on our way there we were messing around a bit but too much traffic so didn't get to line up. decent show nothing crazy maybe 35 cars and i was the only GN there. on our way back we jump on one of the local highways and decided to do a few pulls. all the following runs were from 55 mph. my mods:kirban 3'' dp, 3''testpipe w/ dump, 3'' maf pipe with 9'' k and n, rjc powerplate, and nitto 555r's out back. his mods:(stage IV?) boost controller set at like 14psi, intake, full exhaust 3'' back, short throw, and some other lil ****. first run he jumped a lil and started reeling em in very slowly at about 75 ish and he ended up at my door. second run we hit it both at the same time and i pulled just over 1 car length before he let out. 3rd and final run we hit it at the same time and he ended up at my rear bumper until 100+. 2nd race was the 350z vs GN. completely forgot my buddy just put cams in his car so he wants to go from a 40 mph roll. been in his car before the cams and hi flow cats so i said sure and off we go. he has an 03 350z with: headers, hi flow cats, catback, intake, spacer, lighter 19'' rims(yes 19s that are lighter than stockers), short throw, pulleys?, and nismo cams. i was begging to go from a stop but he refused so we do it from a 40 roll. had the dump open so first run totally screwed because he said he couldn't hear the honks. so after a bunch of botched runs we finally hit it both at the same time at 40. instantly puts 2 cars on me and creeps another 1+ for a total of 3 by 100+. same results everytime. i'm guessing that is a perfect roll for him because i said lets up it to 55 and he wouldnt do it and wouldnt do a slow 1st gear roll off. were gonna go again once i put the rest of my mods on saturday.(ported turbo elbow, 009 injectors, 340walboro with hotwire, boost gauge, adjustable wga, fpr, fp gauge, and casper thumbwheel chip. gonna order the scanmaster mid june and a dutt neck as well. then i'll be saving up for an alky kit and a ta49 for late summer early fall. hopefully upping the boost will get my back at least those 3 cars so we shall see.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Some quick math (approximate):

300zxTT- somewhere around 4k in mods (less rims/tires) :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:
350zx - somewhere around 3k in mods (less rims/tires) :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:
you - somewhere around $750 in mods (less tires)

Get the picture? :yup:

Now, get real sneaky with your mods, keep it stock looking, and go hurt 'em!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i'm not too upset. im going for the clean stock appearing look with mid to high 11s with the ta49 and alky. the 300zxtt has over 3k in mods i know that. and the 350z has over 5k in mods. his rims were 3100 with tires... yea bit expensive. i have less than 500 in mods right now.

Greg

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd be real careful about pushing the car too hard without a scan tool, especially after you put on your new parts.

That being said, great story!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Let's see what that 350 Z does when it's almost 20 years old.....

I'm sure you'll spank him with very few other mods, I'll second the scan tool mentioned above.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Run them from a stand still or don't run them at all is what I say.
Outside of a scantool the only thing you need for 11s right now is the hotwired fuelpump and a dam good tune. You realize that your Nittos do you no good from roll. Make use of them sticky tires and leave them Z-cars sitting still.

OK maybe 11s is pushing it for your basically stock set up but you can be DEEP into the 12s.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm hoping for deep 12s on the stock turbo. yea i got a call tonight my buddy in a mildly modded srt4 wanted to go from 55 mph punch and the z wanted to go again but i'm packing up to move so pretty busy. i told em i'd be glad to go from a stop but everyone complains about hooking. not my fault they can't launch for ****... i'll let ya know how the car feels once i put all the bolt ons on saturday. scantool is next after this damn visa bill gets paid off. creditors are the devil in disguise :devil: :devil:

Greg

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
My buddy just bought a 78k mi 95 300zx twin turbo wrecked for $1500. He just did the usual spring cleaning and new timing belt, water pump, t stat, etc.

His mods:
Dual pop chargers, Stillen intercoolers, Jim Wolfe ECU, N/A rear (better gearing), one piece drive shaft, stock turbo's/downpipes (from what he knows)Gutted cats and some aftermarket exhaust, Blitz BOVs and all stillen hardpipes. Its a 5spd and my buddy can drive the hell out of a stick. Its in the body shop getting the dents and body straight to be painted.

He claims he is gonna give my Buick a run for my money, but I keep telling him

"Buicks only need one turbo, unlike your jap crap!"

I know it will be fast but it won't keep up with the WE4. :6: I think were gonna do it legally and take it to the track so I will have proof in timeslips. Maybe we'll do some highway blast for shits and giggles.

What kills me is this is my buddy who built a bad ass 89 trans am(350, 5 spd)-sold it, a worked Fo*d Mustang Saleen-sold it, and now a f'ing import. I keep trying to get him to come back to at least domestics, but now this TT stuff has him sucked in.......He gets a chubby from the sound of BOV's...go figure!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I used to work for Stillen Motorsports in SoCal, and we (and others) used to build some devastating 300zxTT street cars. They ride and handle great (especially compared to a Fox platform :D ), but it does take serious $$$ to wake them up:

From http://www.ultimatez.com/stages.html

1990-1996 Nissan 300ZX Twin-Turbo - Stock: 300 hp @ 6500rpm @ 9.5 psi

Stage $$ Horsepower
1 $800 Performance Exhaust System 320hp @ 10 psi
2 $130 Hi-Flow Intake 340hp @ 10.5 psi
3 $850 Computer Upgrade 396hp @ 13.5 psi
4 $1000 Larger Intercoolers 405hp @ 13.5 psi
5 $600 EVC (Electronic Boost Control) 418hp @ 14.5 psi
6 $3500 Turbo Upgrade & Injectors 445-500hp @ 16.5 psi
7 $500 Twin Hi-Flow Intakes 520hp @ 16.5psi
8 Varies Turbo Upgrade, Injectors, Twin Hi-Flow Intakes 620hp @ variable psi
9 $1700 Nitrous Oxide, NOS Control Board to Computer Upgrade 680-760hp, tuneable

AND....they are a BITCH to work on! Nice daily driver, though (for rice)

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Don't get me wrong, they are a respectable imports and a hell of a daily driver but do me a favor, add up lines 1-7. For those w/o a calculator it equals $7,380. I could take 1/2 of that put into a stock Buick and murder a Twin Turbo 300ZX. And that my folks is one of many reasons why imports suck.

·
Registered
430 Posts
See post #2 of this thread :D

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
I totally agree...so I leave this for ricers to ponder over.

"Why drive foreign plastic, when you can drive an American classic?"

:6:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts