Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock turbo...I was thinking of a 3" downpipe directly to the turbo for better flow and better spool up and less restriction. what's the best 3" downpipe that fits easily on a stock 87 gn turbo with no problems to install. I only run 16-17psi of boost. I was thinking gbodyparts.com but not sure.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Down pipe

Your better off with RJC down pipe GBody down pipes will hit the frame trust me i know, Also change out the motor mounts that will help out big time.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Actually, The RJC and G body down pipe are now one and the same

either pipe you buy will hit your frame.

We sent one back because the fit was horrible, they put the pipe on a "test" car and found the fit was perfect...:rolleyes: (car had ATR headers and H&R mounts)
What they don't tell you is this pipe requires H&R parts engine mounts to get the clearance required at the frame.

Too bad it fits so poorly. its a nice pipe otherwise.

Your best bet is to find a used Terry Houston pipe, they fit very well.

:cheers:

·
Registered
684 Posts
I installed an RJC 3" in the summer of 2010 and it does not hit the frame. Don't know if any changes have been made to the design of the pipe since then......I highly doubt it.
I run just the stock motor mounts (new). I think one has to keep in mind each car will be slightly different.
All in all I'm very happy with the RJC, It's a well made piece.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I installed an RJC 3" in the summer of 2010 and it does not hit the frame. Don't know if any changes have been made to the design of the pipe since then......I highly doubt it.
I run just the stock motor mounts (new). I think one has to keep in mind each car will be slightly different.
All in all I'm very happy with the RJC, It's a well made piece.
They do batches of them perhaps you got a good one.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have a stock elbow and down pipe with an aftermarket converter 4 sale. Port the elbow and hollow out the cat and your good to go. I would take $100 for everything.

Kevin:cheers:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How can the downpipe not fit...

guys thx for the replys and offers...I have a stock downpipe on the car now, there's no holes or dents, works just fine I guess..It just looks old. I'm keeping the cat, maybe just get a high flow one. When I rebuild the stock turbo hopefully this year, I wanted a new pipe. I have stock headers and engine mounts on the car..Doesn't the rjc 3" pipe have a larger puck, Will it work o.k bolted to a stock turbo. would it line up...I might just go with kirban's 3" downpipe, not sure yet

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
.I might just go with kirban's 3" downpipe, not sure yet
sorry POS !!! fits like crap and leaks !!! Did I say a POS :dunno::yup:

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Mease.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
alright then...So far what I gathered for advice, Is keep the same pipe in the car, regardless how old it is. Don't buy another one......If I spend 500 bucks on a 3" gbody/rjc plus shipping it might not fit depending on the engine motor mounts or puck size...

·
cakefarts.com
821 Posts
What you want to do requires a hollowed out cat.

Just put a pipe through it. You will feel a huge difference once it can breath.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Or use a cutout and save the cat.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.