Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that once you reach mid 11's or faster a 26" tall tire is too short. I was told that with a taller tire (28") hook up would be easier and mph would easily go up! Is this true, anyone make the change and see difference?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I gained 1.5-2.0 mph but I did not gain any traction. I went from 115+ to 117+ mph.

<small>[ April 09, 2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: GNCOL ]</small>

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Once you hit the 11's you should also run slicks.
Drag radials or ET streets are fun on the street or you like to play around in the street tire classes. But not if you are looking to run your best times. Yes 28" tires are best for 11.99 or faster.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have only made 4 passes with the car on 26" ET streets. All done last summer. With a low timing chip and 20psi i went 11.90 @ 115 mph. But the car was wraping each gear so fast that i hit OD about 200ft. before the traps. I shift the car right at 5400 rpms. The tires seem to just spin through 1st gear with a 5psi launch on the tbrake. I figured that a change to a taller tire would keep me in 3rd through the traps and put a harder load on the car netting more mph in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm running 28" ET drags. I cut a 1.62 60' on a 3psi launch. I defninitely picked up some MPH from goin to the taller tire. I was running out of gear with a 26" tall tire.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Wht87T.... what type/timing chip do you use to run the #'s in your sig. Also what size exhaust housing and stall do you run? Impressive #'s for only 20psi. I would like to get 119mph with only 20psi. I need to step up on timing and tune some more.

<small>[ April 09, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Spoolish ]</small>

·
Turbo Buick Tweaker
1,125 Posts
skip both and get some 27" hossier quick time pros wink

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm currently running a race chip from Jim testa. 24 degrees of timing for 114 octane. MY CPT65 has a .63 exhaust housing from precision. I got my stall from Jack cotton, its a vigilante zero pump. Stalls between 3100-3300. Definitely takes some getting used to on the street. Pulls like mad at the track. I ran a 119.74 on ET drags (full slick) very close to 120. I cant wait to get my new injectors and go back to the track. I would like to make a 10.90 pass. headbang

1 - 8 of 8 Posts