Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
You might be speaking of the TurboBuicks.com 200 amp alternator upgrade kit that is about to be released. This is a kit that I put together that replaces (3) components in the Buick GN's original 120amp alternator bringing it to a 200amp rating.

One Upgraded Stator with more/thicker windings.
One Brand New rear bearing (non-serviceable)
One Brand New Brush Kit with holder
One New Heavy Duty Internal Regulator

The installation of these pieces take about 10 minutes once the alternator is on the bench. The process is easy and you'll be back charging in no time. Initial testing shows less voltage drop when using a lot of accessories, faster charging of the battery ect. I have used an upgraded alternator on my Buick for quite some time now as the test mule. It doesn't seem to run any warmer then a regular alternator and looks completely factory from the outside.

I will be offering these kits to fund the TurboBuicks.com website once I get a few in stock and get some installation instructions posted here on the website. Price will be ~$75 and will be offered here.

Thanks

------------------

'87 GN - Stock Block, Stock Cam, Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
11.92 @ 111.77mph

'87 Mazda RX-7 w/GN Powerplant
12.37 @ 122.26 MPH
Visit : http://www.MisRed.com

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by Orlando_87GN (edited October 07, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Sounds good Mike. Just wondering if you have thought about adding a heavy duty voltage regulator to the kit.

Paul
72 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train

G

·
I think i saw some of these kits at the BOP nationals. should be a hot seller........

------------------
87 Gn
vacuum brakes,rear s-10 brake cylinders and big shoes. ss lift bars, 275 50 bfg drag radials on stock rims.
Ported stock elbow with bigger puck,3" downpipe, test, and atr's 3" single shot.
bellmouthed stock intercooler, ported stock maf sensor
009 injectors,pte 110 chip,H'n R's driverside poly mount.stock turbo with boost on 20 psi. Steady diet of sonoco 114 fuel...no times yet

·
Registered
683 Posts
I just spoke with my alternator rebuilder yesterday about doing this. He said it only works at a higher RPM range and actually lowers the near idle charging rate. (I'm not knocking anyone just telling his advice on the matter) A late model Riv used a 140a CS144 alternator which might work better than the stock alt. A stock TR alternator charges at 60a at 1000 rpm. To do it correctly would be installing a much larger alternator (physical size) that would charge more at all rpms. I'm going to compare mine to the Riv alt and see if the charging rate is better. I'll post my results so you can decide on which way to change the rate of charge. Gene

1 - 6 of 6 Posts