Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, i'm going to start with my setup. I switched from a th-350 last July to a Monster Motorsports Mega-Monster 200-4R, that supposedly can handle 450hp/tq. You can visit eatmyshift.com to see what is done to the transmission. I got the 1650stall convertor free with the trans and a "universal" TV cable with the Edelbrock geometry correction bracket. I also got a large trans. cooler from bulkpart.com. At first I ran my lines only to the cooler. I put about 500 miles on it before I put it away for the winter.

Before I put it away it started ticking from around the flywheel. I thought it might be a cracked/out of round flywheel. So last winter i dropped the trans. to change to a SFI spec flywheel from Summit. I also swapped to a higher stall TCI convertor, for when I put a bigger cam etc. in my motor. I got the 12" lock-up convertor(2200-2400stal) from a MonteSS member with roughly 1500miles on it. When I got that finished up I decided to run my trans. lines in the radiator as well as the cooler for colder weather driving. I have a DeRale Trans. Temp. Gauge as well.

This sping I have driven it about 500-1000 miles. All was well up until a week or 2 ago. My trans. generally doesn't get above 180 unless it's extremely hot and i'm getting on it. But even then I see the temp. drop after the fluid cycles trhough the cooler.

One day I was cruising around when I start to notice the temp start to rise about 180 with normal driving. It continues to rise to 220, so I hurried to my local Marathon Service Staion to put it on the lift. I couldn't see much but I beleive it was boiling out of the tube on top of the trans. I let it cool down to 180. Then I drove maybe 2 miles home and it was up to 220 again. By the time I got home it was up to 240 and I get out to check the fluid level when I notice I was dripping in my driveway, looking under my car I see a large pool of fluid. I shut it down for a few days frustrated with all the troubles i've had with my car.

I readjusted the TV cable to where the 1-2 shift was about 18, 2-3 around 30 and 3-4 around 50. Now after about 30-45 mins. of cruising around in 80degree weather in the counrty. It got up to about 220 and by the time i got home it was at 240. It wasn't shifting firm like it usually would. It would hesitate maybe a sec. or so shifting from park to drive(definetly more of a pause than normal). Fluid level was fine before I headed out and I was maybe dripping a rop or so now(nothing major).

Now I am stumped. I think I am going to run the trans. lines just to the cooler. But I know something else is wrong. I just don't know where to start. Sorry for the long post I thought it was neccesary to explain my trans. troubles. Hopefully somebody can give me a hand. Thanks -Ethan

·
Legend in my own Mind
981 Posts
Sounds Bad

Where do you have the gauge connected? Inline somewhere? Before the cooler, after the cooler?

Have you dropped the plan yet to see what, if anything is in it besides fluid?
What does the fluid look like, and smell like?
I think I'd be calling the builder up about the warranty.

Let us know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The temp. sensor is in the pan. I should drop the pan to see whats in it. Hopefully nothing but fluid. The fluid is a little burnt but I didn't let it stay hot for long. I'm going to run my lines jus to the external cooler and blow the cooler and lines out. We'll see where this puts me. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Do you have some sort of circuit to lock the convertor?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the same overheating problem and it was the pedal switch was not locking up. I fixed that and now it runs around 150-180 max but now when it shifts it will bypass 3rd and go straight to 4th and lock up so I have a tci streetfighter and 3000 stall. I have tci and another trans builder working on it and when I find out I will give the results to you and if you figure it out hope youll do the same. its hair pullin :dunno:

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
It sounds almost as if the fluid isn't circulating through the cooler. I might suggest to take the cooler out of the equation completely by looping the 2 lines on the outside of the transmission together. Since you have a way to monitor temperature it should be immediately obvious if that made a difference or not. BTW - don't be worried about normal driving without a cooler. It will work just fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I switched my lines to run just through the aux. trans. cooler and it never got above 180 so far. And when it does it goes down to 160 or even less. This is good news for me. It seems like it shifts later than it normally would sometimes.(I don't have a high-po govenor so it doesn't redline before i shift) But one time it redlined and wouldnt shift until i let off the gas a little. But it seems to be ok most of the time.

·
trans tech
78 Posts
have you checked coolor flo? you should have at least one quart in 20 seconds with return line disconnected & car running in drive! and i always plumb external cooler to recieve oil after it goes through radiator cooler :6:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts