Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im newish to the whole grand national sceen so baer with me here

ok guys heres the deal im going to look at a 1984 buick t type which came factor black and somone put grand national badges on. Heres what im going to need:

1. what is a 1984 buick t type regal worth with 53,000 miles and no rust a solid car but needs new tires its on the original factoer installed tires

2. What would it be worth if it was a grand national rather than a t type

3. And finally because it is lacking an intercooler how much of a differnet will that make in price and power

thanks again
John

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
The non '86-'87 turbo regals aren't worth much. Some guys have a hard on for them, but in terms of resell values and parts availability they are severely limited and not worth much. An '84 T-Type is probably worth $1500 and that might be generous.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the guy wants 6500 for i and we went to look at it and put it on a lift and the chasis is dead straight with zero rust would it really only be worth 1500?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
You can buy a decent '86-'87 turbo regal for that. Run.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
They are not.

The real problems with the 84/85s is that it is very difficult to improve the performance on due to the way they are put together under the hood, and the almost total lack of performance parts.

Most of us have the yen to go faster, and these cars don't provide a platform to do so. The intercooled cars are much quicker to begin with and are much easier to improve upon without spending that much money.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The condition of the car is real important. If it was all original and not made into a clone, it would have more value. Also if your looking for a car to take to a cruise night and not looking for a race, it's not a bad car. If you are lucky it still may run low 15's. If your looking for a car to add performance upgrades then buy a 86-87 turbo buick.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
well check out NADA pricing guide...never thought they were that high

Did you notice that NADA knocked 10% off for having a V6? Even the GNX took a 10% beating.

The market will show what those cars are worth not NADA.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some very low mileage 84-85 GNs in mint condition have brought in some good money on ebay.

Although they are hot air cars, these early GNs in nice condition are nice cars.

I like the alloy rims and all 84s and early 85s had the highly sought after reliable Hydroboost braking system.

The choice is yours. 86-87s will be worth more money but if the car is in nice shape, it might be worth looking at.

Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks like a nice car, but need better pics. Not worth $6,500. - It needs some work.- AC, tires, rear brakes, valve cover gaskets.- This is money. Repairs can be very expensive.

If u like the car, u need to see it in person, inspect the condition and take it for a test drive and preferably bring a knowledgeable mechanic with u. I dont buy the line that he's receiving emails n calls.

These cars can become like a bank. I have not seen the car but I would probably say between $2,000 and $5,000 depending on shape, paint condition, rust, mechanics, price of repairs, etc.

And i dont think that he is the original owner.

Good luck- Educate yourself before going to look at the car.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
All I see is a hood and some blackout trim. The additional options didn't include a posi rear end so that one doesn't help.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
Did you notice that NADA knocked 10% off for having a V6? Even the GNX took a 10% beating.

The market will show what those cars are worth not NADA.
I saw that..,,but thats what dealers and insurance companies look at....I just posted what I found....there is an old saying "there is a seat for every arse"

If the car was mint and had zero issues and I wanted an 84 knowing that it would never be as quick or fast as an 86/87 then I would buy it...but I would buy it knowing it is not an 86/87

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
thanks for the advise here is the link and take a look at it 1984 BUICK T TYPE

john
looks nice but would question the date of pictures...one set the wheels are clean...next set wheels are dirty...I would not pay asking price...needs closer inspection...car is in CT so would check for rust

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
looks nice but would question the date of pictures...one set the wheels are clean...next set wheels are dirty...I would not pay asking price...needs closer inspection...car is in CT so would check for rust
Fronts are probably dirty because of the brake dust. I don't like how they painted the grill. Poor pictures, hard to tell anything.:dunno:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the car was from Georgia until two years ago and is pretty clean acording to the owner im going down on friday to take a look

i no its not a 86/87 but its for my first car so it doesnt need to be perfect

1 - 20 of 26 Posts