Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the benefits of running a 160 thermostat? would it be a good idea cause i heard that your car would run hotter...didnt make sence but i live in AZ and its hot as hell here so what do you guys think?

·
140 Posts
When I bought my '87 T it still had the original thermostat(180* or 185*?) with running temps of 190* - 210*, after installing a 160* thermostat I now average between 165* -180*. Be sure and purchase a new thermostat housing beforehand, the original will more than likely be mangled after removal. I purchased my thermostat and housing from Kirban BTW - http://www.kirbanperformance.com/ .

<small>[ June 21, 2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: KENNE-BILL ]</small>

·
Registered
683 Posts
KB is correct but some thermostats i tested opened at 170* to 177* and supposed to be 160* stats. Quad Airs are the best I tested so far! My tests. Gene

·
Registered
507 Posts
The benefit is that most performance chips expect at 160 tstat and turn on the fan at ~170, depending on the chip. The boost and timing is somewhat dependent on a cooler engine. If you get a chip and don't change the tstat, the fan will always run, even on cold days.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
ILBCNU6:
KB is correct but some thermostats i tested opened at 170* to 177* and supposed to be 160* stats. Quad Airs are the best I tested so far! My tests. Gene
That's strange. I bought thermostats from other vendors and never had that problem. But you should always test it before installation as Gene mentioned.

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
The hotter the engine is the more prone to detonation it is. Keeping the engine cooler will keep the underhood temps down so the air getting taken it will be cooler and the IC will stay cooler.

Living in AZ you NEED a 160.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts