Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've read tons of info on the forums and I know that these cars easily break 12's with a little work and alot of expensive gas.

My challenge is to build a 86-87 GN that that can easily run mid 12's on pump gas. Yet still be somewhat streetable. (but by no means has to be a daily driver)Slicks will be a must I'm sure. And so will weight reduction.

I realize this same car will probably be capable of 11's or faster with some 112 and timing. But I'm interested in doing it with some simple 93 octane. Give or take a little toluene. So I'd say 95 octane max.

From what I've read it seems these cars pull these incredable times because of the massive amount of torque and traction they are capable of. I think I'll have to make up for this and try to create more HP and less torque. Is this possible?

Now it's all you experts turn.... HELP ME PLEASE? Tell me what I have to do. I'm new to these powerplants. I'm a certified aircraft mechanic and have the means.

Thanks everyone

------------------
Nasty a$$ GST mitsubishi.13.80's though! Looking everywhere for a GN help!!

[This message has been edited by VxTurboxV (edited October 21, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by VxTurboxV (edited October 21, 2002).]

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
No slicks needed just some good Drag Radials.

Alky. and 94 pump gas.

Street car driven every day.

11's are the numbers that are difficult.

------------------
WE4, 140K, Daily Driver, PTE51, 43lb. Bosch, THDP hollow cat., Postons Headers, 2 1/2"SS Ultraflows and pipes, 16 pos. Maxeffort thumbwheel 20*, EGT/Bilsteins, Boxed Cont. arms/Airbags/snubber,Blizzak snows, Nittos DR, 307, adj.reg./ SMC alky, 9 gauges,scamaster and D.Scan,BSTC, translator and 31/2"MAF, V4 inter. DYNO. TESTED!!!: 356RWHP 529ft.lb. Torque PROVEN!!!

GN loaded, car #2. 112K miles. Accufab reg. 160stat.,Scanmaster, Reds 93 chip, Mease downpipe, hollow cat., stock muff., SMC alky., J.J. 62mm.T.B., RJC power plate, Bilsteins, Moog springs, HR Parts mount and rear arms, Nittos.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
You should shoot for 11's on pump gas as 12's on pump gas is too easy.

I remember my best time on pump gas was 12.2 or 12.3.. can't recall the exact MPH. Nittos, V4 IC, Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, MaxEffort Chip.. it's really not that difficult with the proper tuning..

------------------

'87 GN - Stock Block, Stock Cam, Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
11.92 @ 111.77mph

'87 Mazda RX-7 w/GN Powerplant
12.37 @ 122.26 MPH
Visit : http://www.MisRed.com

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My combo (see signature) will run high 11's at 117 mph.

------------------

Jim: 87 GN with: TA-49/PTE .63 housing; stock motor, transmission and converter; MSD 50#; CAS V-4; 3" DP; ATR 2.5" SS exhaust; 62 JJ TB/stock plenum; RJC power plate; Translator w/3" MAF; Bigmouth air system; SMC alcohol; Walbro 340; BFG DRs; and Extender 100 chip with 23* timing. Best ET/mph with w/93 octane + alcohol were 11.961/117.05.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by GNCOL:
My combo (see signature) will run high 11's at 117 mph.

What degree of knock are you running GNVOL?
How much are does your car weigh?
Are you running the 100 chip on pump gas???
Are you running 50/50 water mix with your alcohol?
Stock head gaskets?
How long have you been running this setup?
What is your short times...60ft?
How much boost psi U running?
Thanks alot. Your setup sounds perfect.

------------------
Currently driving a Nasty A$$ GST mitsubishi.13.80's though! Looking everywhere for a GN help!!

[This message has been edited by VxTurboxV (edited October 22, 2002).]

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I've run [email protected] on pump gas. With a 93 chip and 17lbs of boost on drag radials. The catch is you should plan and build the car to run high 10's in pure race trim. I drive the car daily with the A/C and still get 26mpg on trips. My car weighs 3815 with me in it.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll try and give you some constructive info on what to do to get into the 12s on pure pump gas.
1) HI Po fuel pump like Red's XP
2) Gut the converter
3) K&N filter - no need for ram air
4) adjustable fuel pressure regulator
5) Hot wire kit for fuel pump
6) new valve springs - even if low mileage
7) Drag radials - Nittos, recaps or BFG
8) Good street chip like Thrasher or Reds
9) Good mandrel bent exhaust system
10) adjustable wastegate rod

This combo should get you into the very high 12s on 93 octane if you learn to launch the car well.

Now, to get into the low 12s and possibly 11s go with a 3" downpipe and add an alchy system. IF you want some insurance a turbo and intercooler upgrade would be nice.

The basic recipe should cost you $1000 or so. The alchy system and downpipe will set you back another $650 or so and the turbo/intercooler upgrade another $1300. Have fun.

And don't believe that low 12s is a snap. It takes really knowing your car, lots of 1/4 mile passes and lots of tuning. Good luck.

------------------

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Ray Kammer:
I'll try and give you some constructive info on what to do to get into the 12s on pure pump gas.

Thanks for the info. I was wanting to go a little more this route with the exhaust and tires. Everything else looks perfect. Would it be beneficial to run the following?

Remove all stock exhaust downpipe back. Install 2.5" open downpipe with dumps.
Would you really lose much between 3" and 2.5" if your running open downpipe?? I Can get the 2.5 installed for $120.

And some M/T 26x10 slicks.

And what boost were you suggesting I run?

------------------
Currently driving a Nasty A$$ GST mitsubishi.13.80's though! Looking everywhere for a GN help!!

[This message has been edited by VxTurboxV (edited October 23, 2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts