Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took the GN out to the track last Saturday with some new chips I have. I was able to run my best times by far. I ran a best of [email protected] with a 1.66 60' time. This was run on 94 octane and alcohol injection with a 100 octane chip (23 degrees of timing) and 23lbs of boost. I would love to be able to get this car into the 11's on pump gas and alcohol with the stock turbo and intercooler. I plan on porting the turbo, going to a 3" downpipe and porting the intercooler. I also have a set of valvesprings to put in as it still has the originals. Currently, this motor is completely stock including the turbo and intercooler. You can see all my mods listed below. I'm hoping with the turbo and intercooler mods I can run a little more timing and maybe with a better launch get this car into the 11's. What do you think? Sound possible? Any other tips/suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.

------------------
------
Rob Andersen
86 GN, Stock turbo and intercooler, Alchohol Injection, 43# Bosch injectors, MM Translator Plus w/3" MAF and extender chip, Hotwired Walbro 307, Hooker 2 1/2" duals, Hooker 2 1/2" Downpipe, Test pipe
12.39 @ 106.9 MPH

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Rob,

do some searching and follow the exploits of Orlando_87GN and his quest to get his almost 3800lb behemoth into the 11s in street trim. He is getting close.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I have a V4 intercooler. I don't know what the car would run Maxed out with the stock intercooler and I am sure the V4 is helping a lot.

I believe it can be done with the right tuning and porting some of the factory restrictions.

Good luck.

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've been following what Orlando_87GN has been doing. He's definately turning some good numbers for his combo. I want to do pretty much the same thing but also with the stock intercooler. I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

------------------
------
Rob Andersen
86 GN, Stock turbo and intercooler, Alchohol Injection, 43# Bosch injectors, MM Translator Plus w/3" MAF and extender chip, Hotwired Walbro 307, Hooker 2 1/2" duals, Hooker 2 1/2" Downpipe, Test pipe
12.39 @ 106.9 MPH

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've seen it done, a buddy here in town went a bunch of 11.90's @ 111-112 on the stock IC Turbo, Injectors and Convertor. Mod's were THDP and Reds XP and lots of tuning

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by G Rolland:
I've seen it done, a buddy here in town went a bunch of 11.90's @ 111-112 on the stock IC Turbo, Injectors and Convertor. Mod's were THDP and Reds XP and lots of tuning
Yeah, I figured it could be done. I assume he was running race gas? I want to try and do it on pump gas and alchohol.

------------------
------
Rob Andersen
12.39 @ 106.9 MPH

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Originally posted by rma119:
Yeah, I figured it could be done. I assume he was running race gas? I want to try and do it on pump gas and alchohol.
I plan on going for the 11's on pump gas and alky next spring, I think the bigger injector and turbo dragon is going to catch me and make me spend money on that though. Good luck.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
How about using a garrett .82 housing for the stock turbo? I have one on the way and will try it out. My car has so much bottom end, I could deal with loosing a *little* spool up.. NOT TOO MUCH THOUGH!!

Question is... Will it still be considered to be a stock turbo'd car???

Anyway.. if I can pick up 1 MPH or 2.. and stay with the same e.t... I think it will be worth it..

------------------

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mike, are you hooking up pretty good? I get alot of spin at the top of first and bottom of second, I feel due to the quick spool-up of the stock turbo. I gotta get some stickies and an airbag or two I guess.

------------------
87 GN
Stock, basic mods, etc.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Originally posted by Orlando_87GN:
How about using a garrett .82 housing for the stock turbo?

Question is... Will it still be considered to be a stock turbo'd car???
I dunno, maybe us BONE stocker guys should get together and lay down some ground rules. I would say all's fair game until spring though. My GN's down for the winter. I need to move to Arizona.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike,

What was your 60' time on the [email protected] run? With that mph I would think your et could be a little lower. I have run a 12.41 at only 105.3mph. This was with a 1.66 60'. I recall you saying you were able to run low 1.6's on the nittos. I wonder if you're actually losing a little on the bottom end, causing the low et for the speed? What psi are you launching at? I leave the line at 10lbs on ET streets and reach the full 23lbs in the first 5 feet. Maybe you could reach the 11's with a little more tuning.....

------------------
------
Rob Andersen
12.39 @ 106.9 MPH

·
Registered
111 Posts
Originally posted by PRSRIZD_V6:
I dunno, maybe us BONE stocker guys should get together and lay down some ground rules. I would say all's fair game until spring though. My GN's down for the winter. I need to move to Arizona.
Hmmmm, that sounds a little iffy...
Technically it's not a stock turbo anymore, BUT you're still using the stock compressor and turbine wheels... Things that make ya go hmmmmm..
Then again, I know you're still using stock parts, but if you port the stock turbo it's not "stock" anymore either...it's modified...
Porting is a given, but changing housings is a little bit different...

------------------
RandyCustomShop
"Firechicken"
1982/86/87/88/89 Firebird
Turbo
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
What was your 60' time on the [email protected] run
I am in the middle of a move, and can not find my timeslips envelope.. It was 1.6x something..

What psi are you launching at?
5psi. No tire spin. Instantly goes to full boost. Don't know how long it takes, but it's quick.

Maybe you could reach the 11's with a little more tuning.....
Ya, it's right there. I have it tuned pretty well, but it could always use more. Unfortunatley the next time I'll probably see the track is for the Moroso event (Jan. 25th.). We just moved into a new house and I can't come out and play anytime soon.

I don't know if I will actually be trying the .82 housing out, as I can not locate one now.

------------------

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've gone 12.10's @ 113mph with my old car, having a stock turbo and intercooler. A current customer runs 7.30's @ 95+ mph in the 1/8 with Ta61 and stock intercooler, stock cam, stock D-5 converter! It's all in the combination.

------------------
NCTURBOS of Charlotte, NC
Specializing in Turbo-Buick performance and drivability!
'87 Turbo-T: New build-up to debut in spring 2001!:cool:

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I've gone 12.10's @ 113mph with my old car, having a stock turbo and intercooler.
That is some big MPH for a stock turbo! Do tell... how much did that car weigh? And what was the 1/8th to 1/4MPH difference??

I can not seem to get more than 21.5MPH difference between the two, using the stock turbo.

Now, when I was using the PTE-51.. I saw 23MPH or more and that is a big difference..

------------------

[This message has been edited by Orlando_87GN (edited December 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Orlando_87GN:
That is some big MPH for a stock turbo! Do tell... how much did that car weigh? And what was the 1/8th to 1/4MPH difference??

I can not seem to get more than 21.5MPH difference between the two, using the stock turbo.

NCTURBOS - yes, please let us in on the secrets.... 113 mph should be plenty for high 11's.

Mike - I usually average a difference of about 21mph between the 1/8 and 1/4 also. I think that might be about the best you can do with the stock setup.

------------------
------
Rob Andersen
12.39 @ 106.9 MPH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm Chris Harrington. I am a new member, this is a interesting thread to me. My t-type is still stock turbo, intercooler, injectors, and converter. For the last year I have been trying to see how far I can go with the stock combo. So far I have ran.

60ft. 1.75
1/8 et. 7.91
1/8mph. 92.2
1/4et. 12.15
1/4mph. 115.6

The track that this was ran at the mph seems to be 1-2mph. fast.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Rats... guess since my STOCK turbo and throttle body are ported, I have a 2.5" neck on my STOCK IC, I have 30# green stripe injectors (often considered "stock replacements"), and my STOCK wastegate elbow is ported I can't call my combo "stock"!

Hmmm... let's see. I'll call it my "stock parts combo"!
Doesn't necessarily mean the PARTS are still stock, just that they are (were) STOCK parts!

Either way, the GN's third trip to the track ever and running 111.97mph and 12.6's on all season radials at 21-21.5 psi boost had me stoked! The H.P. is there, just got to work on the traction (ran one 12.71 with a 2.1 60', 12.6's were 1.9's).

11's?? We'll see! I'd be happier with 114-115 mph, to be honest!

------------------
Jay Jackson
(the 62MM TB guy!)
http://hometown.aol.com/ygettv8/myhomepageindex.html

"YGETV8" '86 gray T-Type 94K... high tens...?? (STILL "some assembly required"!) Girdled stock block, Stealth turbo, 20 row IC, 65mm "stock" TB, PI 9.5" 7-disc, Jimmy's Trans, P&P heads, 218/218, Hooker Headers, 3" D.P., HKS w.g., thumbwheel chip, and more... (ran [email protected] with the stock long block, DOTs, thru the muff, & on pump gas!)

'86 GN "Beater"... 137K driver w/ P&P stock turbo, 21.5 psi boost, K&N, 3" DP and ported elbow, 93 chip, 30# inj., Walbro 307, AFPR, new valve springs, alum. drums, 2.5" IC neck, 62mm TB/upper, and that's about it! Best ET: 12.61 (on 215/65 all season radials!); best MPH: 111.97!

'87 WE4 59K ... GNX wheels, 93 chip, ported stock turbo, 21 psi boost, AFPR, Blue Tops, Borla exhaust, K&N, alum. drums... 'bout it! [email protected] on 265/50-16 radial TAs on it's maiden voyage to the track!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The car went 92+ mph in the 1/8 @ a 7.73 et! That was with a lazy 1.7? 60 foot.

------------------
NCTURBOS of Charlotte, NC
Specializing in Turbo-Buick performance and drivability!
'87 Turbo-T: New build-up to debut in spring 2001!:cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts