Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i ran 10 psi on a stock wastegate and switched out wastegates with one that is proven to hit 15 psi on my neighbors car then why can i only get 10 psi with his wastegate? what other things would cause my boost to be stuck at 10? also, when i put it to the floor the boost guage climbs to 12 psi for like 1/4 sec and then settles back down to 10 psi.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Maybe one of those faulty Y hoses or it is improperly installed. Have you done anything recently? Every car is different, so you cannot depend upon the wastegate on one car to work the same on another. It sounds like you've proven that it is not your wastegat and need to look elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by shaunchrisc (edited May 29, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
There's a lot of other factors involved here. How are you controlling boost, chip controlled stock wastegate solenoid? That would mean the chips are different and perhaps even the solenoid is faulty.

The Y-hose is metered and if installed the wrong way will screw up.

If using a bleeder valve that would be a simple adjustment of the valve.

Also if you have a very bad exhasut leak before the turbo it will not spool.

The 2 psi overshoot is normal.

HTH

[This message has been edited by PRSRIZD_V6 (edited May 29, 2002).]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can someone tell me exactly how the Y hose os to be positioned so i can go see if its on right

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
the straight side of the "y" goes to the port on the turbo housing.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Do not base your boost reading off of the factory LED boost gauge in the dash. These are severely inaccurate. Hook up a VDO mechanical boost gauge and report back.

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i already hooked up my mechanical autometer phantom guages and it reads 10 psi

·
Registered
507 Posts
After swapping the actuator, did you swap the solenoid?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no i did not. can i swap solenoids with my neighbor and if it works give it back with out ruining one of the cars?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
shouldn't hurt a thing.

Check for a major vacuum leak somewhere too, and if the gauge is near the leak it cousld cause your reading.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sure. Try your neighbor's solenoid in your car. My theory is that your solenoid is plugged or non-functional. But, if it is non-functional, I think it would set a code. ??
Did your car make 15psi, then all of the sudden go to 10?
By that I mean from one day to the next, not while driving.

[This message has been edited by scottyb (edited May 29, 2002).]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the only actual boost numbers i have seen were 10 psi b/c my guages were put in a day ago. but i did notice that my SES light is on now and it could either be my O2 sensor which i know is bad, my boost solenoid, or both. would the size of the tubing for the boost guage affect the reading that much if at all. also, how much is a new boost solenoid? i just won the bid on ebay for a manual boost controller which can hold up to 60 psi and offers quicker spool so i will see if that works when it comes in

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If the car stops at the 10psi. maybe an intercooler hose is loose and not allowing the increase in boost. Check all hoses and fittings on the turbocharger system including the vacuum and the pressure ones.

I had one regulate me once to a perfect 15 psi. Took me 2 months to find the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts