Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Risky Business
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was already a thread on this subject, but it just disappeared...

I'm going to assume my current 02 sensor is a Delco. When is a recommended increment to replace them as far as regular maintence? What should I look at as far as 02 voltage and cross counts on the scanmaster that may indicate that its going bad.

As rich as my car runs, especially idle (thrasher), I wouldnt be surprised if its fouling up pretty quick. I'm probably going to order a Denso and have it ready. Or I might just throw it in anyway for peace of mind. If the Delco is still in good shape, I'll hang onto it in the trunk as a spare.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Nothing wrong with spare parts! I have a Denso installed with a spare Denso & a GM unit! They take up little room & at the track they can come in handy!
I put in a fresh one every spring so I know its good!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Usually if they cross count somewhere between 10-40 times per frame (about 1.4 seconds) they are still good.

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Matt,

With my Denso, I get a soft error (Check engine light for 15 seconds, then clears). Also, on the scanmaster the cycle is usually limited to +/- 75 and isn't displaying the huge swings you see when you throttle up or down hard. These are signs it is on it's way out for my car..

Also - With Denso, they tend to go slowley so per the other advice I read on this thread, I carry a spare and the correct wrench in the trunk at all times. I can change one in 10 minutes after I did the 4th one.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
my scanmasters are older and don't have crosscounts...as long as that is not a cumulative number...getting larger each frame until it reaches 255 and then starting over, I guess it is fine. Normally ten or more per scanmaster frame is fine.

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
My crosscounts were not moving at all so I changed mine.I used a Bosch from the local parts store.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
teamgn87:
My crosscounts were not moving at all so I changed mine.I used a Bosch from the local parts store.
Bosch seems to be the worst O2 sensors for our cars. Get a Denso or a AC Delco.

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Yeah - What he said.
Lots of bad press on Bosch from those in the know.
Very happy customers with Denso. Especially if you run a lot of lead through your system. I get mine at sparkplug.com

Cheap, effective, and easy to change..Longer life than anything else I have used.

Not many parts for our cars that have all these charcteristics.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
What's the part number on the denso,is it heated?Thanks :)

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I'd like to state my experience with the Bosch ones have been fine. I buy them at AutoZone for $20 and they just keep replacing them under warranty for free. The cross counts and O2 readings seem just fine! I guess my planets are aligned... :rolleyes:

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
I will admit, I have never used Bosch, so my opinion is based only on what I have heard while waiting in staging lanes, and reading on Bulletin Boards like ours.

That said - The Denso part is 234-1001 and it is about $20.00 on Sparkplug.com. Also a good place to pick up some NGK spark plugs...I have been using Denso o2 and the NGK spark plugs, and have been very pleased.

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Uh-oh !!
ONE MORE THING - This is NOT the heated o2 plug. I just re-read your question. This is the part number for the direct replacement.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The initial questioner (GrndNatnl) was concerned because his car ran rich. As far as I know, running rich will not affect the O2 sensor. A Thrasher runs a little rich at idle, but I don't think they affect the O2 sensor, and once it gets in close loop, it's no richer than a stock chip. (with more boost, of course) But unless you're running leaded gas, the O2 sensor should last for a few years, anyway. The Denso sensors appear to be more resistant to lead fouling, if that's important.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts