TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com (https://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Stage II, DFI & SpeedPro (https://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   TA BLOCK/HEADS STREET MOTOR BUILD-UP (https://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90477)

william brophy 04-06-2010 11:51 PM

TA BLOCK/HEADS STREET MOTOR BUILD-UP

5 Attachment(s)
I hope you enjoy the pics. Center pic has tapers ground on the oil plug bolt heads for rear of cam "block surface bearing" clearance.

william brophy 04-07-2010 12:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
#2 set of pics. I used custom Ross pistons with the sides coated.

william brophy 04-07-2010 12:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
#3 set of pics. I used a TA front cover and Fel-pro #1007 o-ringed head gaskets with extra cooling holes drilled in them.

william brophy 04-07-2010 12:31 AM

5 Attachment(s)
#4 set of pics, dipstick is more out of the way than on the stocker.

william brophy 04-07-2010 12:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
#5 set of pics. Aftermarket Champion intake. Engine has been on the street for a while now with no oil leaks or burning. Using OEM oil pump gears, pressure hot at 900 rpm idle= 25/28 psi, pressure at W.O.T.= 65 psi (pressure of relief spring) using 15/50 wt. oil.

william brophy 04-07-2010 01:01 AM

Some extra car pics.

3 Attachment(s)
S-10 front brakes and a Poston dash install.

motorhead 04-07-2010 12:59 PM

Wow... all that work and you stick a Fram filter on it?

william brophy 04-07-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 796154)
Wow... all that work and you stick a Fram filter on it?

I used the HP fram because at first I had the relief valve plugged in the "SAE" filter housing (larger threads) and the fram hp's have a relief valve built in.

I changed back to a stock OEM "Metric" filter housing & even hooked the OEM oil cooler back up and now the oil pan is a little cooler to the touch.

PS: IMHO I think the HP series of Fram is better than thier standard filters, they have a high flow rate too.

lazaris 04-07-2010 09:17 PM

William very nice build. Can I ask what the machine cost's were for the block to prepare it ?

william brophy 04-07-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazaris (Post 796258)
William very nice build. Can I ask what the machine cost's were for the block to prepare it ?

I don't have the paper work in front of me but no more than any normal engine work or I would of remember!!!! but read on.

The machine shop that I use was known as Coleman Bros. on RT.1 in Maryland. Bill Coleman now runs his shop from a large shop behind his residence and he has over 40+ years experience. He has done tons of aluminum blocks over the years and checks/catches & knows many things that other so called experts miss which have cost customers money even to the point of really messing the motors up, this you can't buy!!!

Some blocks are not machined correctly form the various manufactures from time to time.

On the other web site I have talked or read a few of the other knowledgeable TA block owners that have had a few mistakes made in preparing their blocks.

I have had a few 109 blocks and small block Chevy's done at Coleman's and he charges the same for any operation such as boring, decking, etc. aluminum or cast iron. His prices are in line or "less" than other machine shops in the area. If your engine does not need it, Coleman will tell you along with maybe something you where not aware of that needs to be done. He's honest, that's why he is still in business with a backlog.

proheader 04-09-2010 12:04 AM

I am from the Eastern Shore originally and I can tell you that Coleman Bros was huge back in the day when it came to racing....

That name carries weight out there anywhere and any race track you go to.....

nice build.....

proheader

cruzn57 04-10-2010 02:43 PM

very nice!

wow you sure set high standards!
I'm still gathering parts, hopefully will be half as nice as your build.
any idea on weight of complete motor?

Grumpy 04-10-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by william brophy (Post 796290)
He's honest, that's why he is still in business with a backlog.

must be an old "thing" :D Guess there are some good guys left !! Project looks great !:headbang:

EightSecV6 04-10-2010 07:11 PM

Looks good Billy, I'm sure it will fly! You know for sure that anything you get from Bill Coleman's shop will be nothing less than perfect.

william brophy 04-10-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzn57 (Post 796795)
any idea on weight of complete motor?

TA Performance 25 th anniversary catalog has a complete motor weighing in at 285 lbs.