Turbo link 4.0 question - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Chip Talk

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Turbo link 4.0 question

I've been trying to get turbo link 4.0 to connect to my car. I have a aldl cable obd1to USB cable from my 94 trans am but it won't connect. I have a cheesy obd1 reader that flashes the check engine light which works on the car. For some reason the turbo link on laptop won't connect. It's most likely something set up on my computer wrong but I'm not very computer literate. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
grazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
KILRV6, Chris Fasulo

The cable for Turbo Link is specific to Turbo link. As I recall it went from the ALDL to a serial connector. Inside of the serial connector was a resistor or something that made it work with the software. You need a Turbo link cable not just a cable that mates to the OBD1 ALDL. Anybody could copy the software and load it on a laptop but without the cable it did not work.
v6turbo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
KILRV6, Chris Fasulo

BTW---you can use a paper clip to get the check engine light to flash the OBD1 codes. That is all those "cheesy" readers were--a plug that jumped 2 pins together in the ALDL!
v6turbo87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6turbo87 View Post
The cable for Turbo Link is specific to Turbo link. As I recall it went from the ALDL to a serial connector. Inside of the serial connector was a resistor or something that made it work with the software. You need a Turbo link cable not just a cable that mates to the OBD1 ALDL. Anybody could copy the software and load it on a laptop but without the cable it did not work.
Got it thanks. My cable actually has the 10k resistor and jumpers in it. I noticed that one pin was bent down and it happened to be the same one that sends the data on our car. I'll try it later but maybe if you or somebody can send me a link to the cable I need, that would help a lot. Thanks for the help!!
grazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement