Knock Retard ??'s - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Buick V6 Turbo Tech

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Need....more...ammo!!!

Knock Retard ??'s

Hello All,

Took out the butlass (85 Cutlass W/ 86GN goodies) today for some run time, just around the block as it's not registered, and bare metal.

Figured I'd do a 1st gear boost test to see if the alky worked... everything worked great..

Checking the DS logs after getting back into the garage quick I noticed something weird.

I had no knock going into boost... and while in boost.. but started getting knock counts when I let off the throttle.

From 3.5 to 2.5 volts on the TPS, I went from 3 knock counts to 35 and had a 14deg. of knock retard... then it was fine

Is this normal for our cars... I don't have ANY real street time with this car yet, and it's my first turbo car. So I'm still learning it.

Another question.. Does DS sense boost?? I noticed on the log that it has a boost light that light up, and a bost %... It was at 99% during the run. Actual run only lasted 2-4 sec. short street.

Is that just a reading from the MAP sensor.. and IF so, can I get a 3-4 BAR map to work with it. IE.. IF 50% on a 2bar = 7.5psi... will 50% on a 3 BAR= 15psi?

Thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Scam Detector Enabled

sounds like something is hitting when you let off....it is not normal...not detonation either...

Steve Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Need....more...ammo!!!

Could a noisy valve train cause it... I've heard it rattling a few times, didn't hear it then though.. but that doesn't mean it's not there.

I'm thinking the 5w30 synthetic is a little too light for this engine

There has to be a load on the engine for SK to occur right??