To Mod or Not to Mod????????? - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Buick V6 Turbo Tech

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

To Mod or Not to Mod?????????

Basically my signature says it all, but I just want some advice. A little background, I have an 87 GN that I purchased in Jan of this year. I bought it with the intent of just cruising, going to local shows etc., After driving it conservatively for over a month, I am itching to do some modifications. The only things holding me back are that the car is so original and so nice. No modifications. It has the original plugs, plug wires, all the factroy decals, even the paper tags underneath the car are still there, the interior looks new, it has been re-painted (the seller told me 4 years ago), but I would say probably 10 years ago, and there is no paint on the moldings, emblems, etc....honestly if someone told me it was factory paint, I would believe it if the original paint did not have such a bad reputation..........Anyway, the bottom line is should I risk altering a 46K factory original to have more fun and potentially lead to subsequent problems, or leave it alone?? The mods I have in mind after I do a tune-up (Plugs, PCV Valve, Synthetic Oil Change, Fuel Filter Change, TCC Solenoid + Transmission Fluid/Filter Change, Synthetic Rear Axle Fluid Change) are 1. Turbo Buick Power Logger, 2. K&N RE-0870 Cone Air FIlter (CAI), 3. TurboTweak Street Chip, 4. Billet Adjustable Fuel Regulator, 5. Walbro Fuel Pump 6. Hot Wire. To Mod or Not to Mod???????? If I should Mod, should this combination get me into the mid 12, low 13 second 1/4 mile range????????? Thankx
kna4977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Full Head Of Hair!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Gnat352
These cars were meant to be driven. It's only a buick regal.... . But in all honesty Do what you want to do. If you want to keep it stock and go to shows that fine, you can also take it to shows with mods....depends on what you want to do.

I would put a bigger Turbo/Intercooler/Injectors in the car and hold on

JCC RACING MEMBER #1951

87 "T"

PT54,,60# injectors/TT Alky Chip,,ADJ FPR,,ADJ Wastegate,,,RJC Boost Controller,,Razor Alky,,3" SE Turbo DP,,Cotton Performance 3" Dual Exhaust,,5 angle valvjob/bowl work,,340 hotwired,,F-Body Radiator,,Casper's Dual Fans,,ATR Bar,,Comp 980's,,Powerlogger,,ScanMaster 2.1,,RJC Power Plate,,UMi Lowers,,Bilstiens in all corners,,New Springs,,23 ROW SLIC,,ART CARR 9.5 NLU Converter,,DYNOTECH HI-PRO TRANS, Nitto's....thats it for now......

11.90 @110mph with 21PSI on pump and alky...
1.61 60ft on Nitto's...
Gnat352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnat352
These cars were meant to be driven. It's only a buick regal.... . But in all honesty Do what you want to do. If you want to keep it stock and go to shows that fine, you can also take it to shows with mods....depends on what you want to do.

I would put a bigger Turbo/Intercooler/Injectors in the car and hold on
Thankx for your reply. I understand that these cars are meant to be driven and perform well, and have the potential to do much better. I also know what I want to do, but I don't wanna do it if it will compromise the safety, integrity, or honesty of the car itself. With that in mind, I am just looking for a simple yes do mods or no don't (yes or no) answer, based on the given info....thanks

Old 02-28-2007, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

+1 on the above recommended mods. You're adding to the reliability, rather than compromise the integrity of the car. If you start throwing parts at it, you need to match them (turbos to converters, etc).

I'd add a Turbo Tweak chip to the mix, and get rid of the stock muffler; and specifically go with TA-49, 60 lb injectors, 340 with hotwire, and go kill some rice

The above should be good for low 12s, and that's thru the cat! And emissions legal!

87 GN- work in progress...AND COMPLETED!!!!
95 Impala SS- SOLD!
2001 Excursion Limited diesel
2005 Suzuki C-50 Boulevard Cruiser- Sold
2001 Saturn LW300 wagon

More toys on the horizon
1997 540i....turbo setup is in the works!
socalgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgn
+1 on the above recommended mods. You're adding to the reliability, rather than compromise the integrity of the car. If you start throwing parts at it, you need to match them (turbos to converters, etc).

I'd add a Turbo Tweak chip to the mix, and get rid of the stock muffler; and specifically go with TA-49, 60 lb injectors, 340 with hotwire, and go kill some rice

The above should be good for low 12s, and that's thru the cat! And emissions legal!
The #3 Mod in the list is the TurboTweak Chip in the theoretical race-ipe/recipe. I'm ultimately trying to make my car as easy as possible to change back and forth from ultimate performance to a mostly stock car with a few bolt-on's vs. max performance and completely stock. I'm not gonna mess with the exhaust as it is new, or other parameters as they are new or like new...........

Last edited by kna4977; 02-28-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Defender of the Universe

What you are considering as mods most here will consider a necesity. Nothing you are considering will take away from the car. The TT chip, hot wired fuel pump, and regulator are thing IMO should be done regardless of your intentions to mod further or not.

None of those things will add much power.....maybe a lb or two of boost from the chip.

DSR #3
Nasty Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Exactly. If your goal is to be able to return the car to a pure stock status, all the above mods, including the 340 in tank pump, can be removed and replaced with the stock parts you have over about 12 hours of a weekend. Bolts ins, all.

On the other hand, the dramatic gains you'll see with the mods listed will absolutely blow you away! And, more importantly, you'll be able to enjoy the car even more, and be running with known good components, rather that stressing out 20 year old parts.

87 GN- work in progress...AND COMPLETED!!!!
95 Impala SS- SOLD!
2001 Excursion Limited diesel
2005 Suzuki C-50 Boulevard Cruiser- Sold
2001 Saturn LW300 wagon

More toys on the horizon
1997 540i....turbo setup is in the works!
socalgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sneaky PETE

Do a sneaky Pete like said before TA49 60# TurboTweak 3" Terry Huston down pipe and that will bolt to you new exhaust all still looks stock keep you original parts mine are all stored away in case I want to sell car.
Just these modifications just blew me away and it was a pleasure to drive had great street manors and ran great.
But once you get the taste of the dark side look out you'll end up like me spending and spending but loving it.
WiskeyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Wendy
What you are considering as mods most here will consider a necesity. Nothing you are considering will take away from the car. The TT chip, hot wired fuel pump, and regulator are thing IMO should be done regardless of your intentions to mod further or not.

None of those things will add much power.....maybe a lb or two of boost from the chip.
So, what I get from what you say is that the mods in mind won't increase performance that much??? If not, why mod?.....................So..........What gives decent gains for a decent price while keeping it mostly stock and/or making it able to return to stock anytime?

Last edited by kna4977; 03-01-2007 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Do the necessity bolt ons to improve "general performance". Fuel pump, K&N cone filter, TT chip, MAF pipe, Hooker exhaust etc. You don't need a new turbo ($600.00) or new injectors ($300.00) or 3 inch down pipe ($450.00) to go 12's. Once you go beyond the basic mods, you will begin your down ward spiral into the never ending quest of more money for more power. Enjoy the car for what it is. Unless you are committted to become a weekend track warrior wanting 13's, 12's, 11's and eventually 10's.
gnx139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kna4977
So, what I get from what you say is that the mods in mind won't increase performance that much??? If not, why mod

Most of those mods are to make your car more reliable and less prone to breakage. Even a stocker needs to be properly tuned and should run reliably, unless you don't plan on driving it and make it a trailer queen.
V-6 Vegatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

To asnwer your question, those basic mods will increase performance. And improve the reliability with that increase of performance. What are your GOALS. That will have a lot to do with the route you take. With the basic mods and a stock turbo pushing 15-17 lbs of boost, you will have a reliable 13 second car. If you want a bit more, most folks on here will tell you to turn up the boost to 20-22lbs and add alcohol injection. It is a great bang for the buck at $500.00 and will allow you to take full advantage of a stock-ish set up. It will keep you from blowing up the motor with the added boost and horse power. But again, it comes back to what are your GOALS. You sound like you want to keep it some what stock and simple, and there is nothing wrong with that.
gnx139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Keep In Mind

Keep in mind if you start modifying you could start the weakest link chain of events. Tranny, Head Gaskets and so on
WiskeyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Growing my Mullet!

I'd do the basic's and leave the stock turbo on it. It'll run low 12'[email protected] with the stock turbo with the correct tune.

Y2K Pontiac Firebird Formula
M6 - Boltons - 9"
[email protected] w/1.7 60'
Best pass

03 GMC Sierra RCSB 4x4 5.3
CAI - Spal Controlled LS1 EFANS - GMPP Exhaust.
Exhaust Clip
NOCOOLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Wendy
.... The TT chip, hot wired fuel pump, and regulator are thing IMO should be done regardless of your intentions to mod further or not.
I second that...

The only thing i can advise is that once you do start modding, it becomes sort of a disease/obsession. I think a few here would agree with that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement