swaybar help - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Buick V6 Turbo Tech

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to bigturner2006 Send a message via AIM to bigturner2006 Send a message via Yahoo to bigturner2006
swaybar help

I am wanting to get a new swaybar to help the car handle better what do you guys recomend??? . also i am wanting to get a scantool were cant i buy one at ?? thanks
bigturner2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
------------------------

contact mike licht for scanmaster 2.1
http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/Dynamic/
he had put some on ebay recently ,cheap w/ freeship

swaybar
bruce alfred at agressive has the atr bar on sale
http://www.aggressiveauto.com/

if you have eliminated the front bar for drag racing
paul ferry at hrpartsnstuff has an awesome rear bar http://hrpartsnstuff.com/
pacecarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fuhgeddaboudit

I assume you have the factory swaybars now. If your shocks, springs and front end is worn or bad a new swaybar won't help. These cars handle well with new KYB or Bilstein shocks and the rest all stock. So what's the condition of your suspension parts?
BPG#1458
My Photo Page

buickperformancegroup.com

© All Rights Reserved 2000-2011
All posts by Ed Baker
ULYCYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to bigturner2006 Send a message via AIM to bigturner2006 Send a message via Yahoo to bigturner2006
my car only 75,000 miles on it and i say the shocks arent bad i wanted sway bars to make it handle better and get a rear sway for the rear for traction
Old 02-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

GNs understeer a lot stock, i would leave the stock front alone(bigger will make it understeer worse) and just get new bushings and endlinks. For the rear the ATR is a nice setup(will give it a more neutral feel) as long as you upgrade your control arms. Definatly get some bilsteins on all 4 and you'll be very surprised at how well these cars can handle

87 GN, PT61, turbotweak 6.0, .030 over, TRW pistons,, ported and polished iron heads, speed pro 204/214 cam, ATR headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, 3 ATR" downpipe, BGC intercooler, LT1 MAF, billet tranny, RJC powerplate, bilsteins, 36mm 1lE bar,62mm TB from Steve Monroe, and mototron 60s , eaton posi, richmond 3.23s, Zeitronix WBO2, new PTC 9.5" n/u 3000.

Dads 86 GN-ported heads, 204/214, ATR headers/exhaust, PT61, 60s, alky, 3400 9/11, ebay front mount (supporting mods...) 11.09 @126 mph 24 psi.
JDSfastGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Scam Detector Enabled

Shane, if the shocks have 75,000 on them...they have been bad for about 45,000 miles

The ATR bar works very well if you have larger rear tires than stock..it would be overkill with small tires.

As others mentioned, all the bushings, springs, shocks, etc., have to be in good condition in order to get the proper results.

www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

I consider all posts on any Board to be my personal property as per the law and they may be used by anyone freely, but, no one can be charged to access my personal posts.
Steve Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

ok ill try shocks insted of sway bars.. Im not sure if the shock have been changed before
thanks guys
Old 02-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Keep the Rubber Side Down

Send a message via AIM to larobj63 Send a message via Yahoo to larobj63
Biggest part of the handling picture in any set-up is...drum roll...rims and most importantly, tires. That being said, here's the rest of my 2 cents...

I have swapped in bigger sway bars in a few vehichles I have owned, with excellent results. BUT, I deemed it fully unnecessary on this car.

Fresh bushings on the front bar (end links and bar-to-frame bushings), and good quality shocks (Koni or Bilstein or KYB) are first to do.

Second is new, heavier and shorter springs (Suspension Techniques or Hotchkiss or Eibach sells them for G-bodys).

Third is new suspension bushings all around, either poly or del-a-rum. This is when the car starts to get really serious, IMO, and will likely shake your fillings out on nasty potholes or expansion joints...you've got to decide if this is worth it to you...

Another route is to get the complete Hotchkiss setup, with tubular front control arms and "the whole nine yards", but this option is REALLy expensive...

Again, this is all moot with 215/65/r15's on there, or worse - skinny fronts and big giant meats on the back. 245/50/ZR16 is the minimum size for carving corners with a GN, IMO.

Hope that helps - its from someone also just as interested in turning as going fast in a straight line (kind of a minority in here ...)....
· Working Power Antenna
· Hooker 2.5” w/ Aero Chambers
· Hotwired 340
· Koni’s
· Suspension Techniques Springs
· GTA’s w/ BFG KDW’s
larobj63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
------------------------

for what its worth i come from ws6 TAs cars so when i got into my current toy , the GN i wasnt impressed. i actually reconsidered my decision to get one because its handling felt that poor to me , (add to that it was to damn low on performance in its original driver state) .

first order was shocks- still too granma boaty feeling
4 brand new goodyear wihgfoot HP 215 65/15s- better but not tight
then adressed rear controll arms , and went adjustables - no more tailsway, but tires are now floaty compared to the axle
on go 4 goodyear eagle ga 235 55 16s on 16x8 gta style rims.
rear is now super tight but front doesnt quite nail it into turns
so move on to the front -front bushings in the upper control arms and a readjust of alaignment.
now its point and go steering ,no wandering - im likeing it
lastly new bushing and endlinks on the front swaybar
no more front roll.
add new bodybushings and now the body is quite in the twistys and the bumps

i couldnt be happier with the steering and handling of this car and thanks to some bolt ons the hp is now up where it belongs . im likeing this little 6

i could have went with poly bushing boxed stock rear arms but mine were beatup and needed replacement .
and i went with oe bushings (no poly) and stock bars and still acheived remarkable handling .

fix what you got and throw on some good quality tires . and more importantly dont forget about the brakes .
pacecarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Shaker X

Check this out...

Take a peek at this...

This may be of some help...

Oh heck, click here too...

Hot Rod Buick.com 2008 Charger SRT 8

1987 Grand National, Original Owner and now sold! Whew!
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Gn- TType Suspension Tech Info

Check this out, too. Especially the stuff by Preston Marshall.
Ormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fuhgeddaboudit

This is a young kid with a GN he just bought. I don't think he's ready for the Silverstate or road racing. All tips are correct but he needs to start somewhere and cheap. Replacing the Shocks with Bilsteins or KYB's will be the best bang for the buck. I also think a scantool should come before new body bushings. Looks at the vendors listed here. Most sell the Scanmaster. "Full Throttle Speed and Cotton's seem to have the best prices.
BPG#1458
My Photo Page

buickperformancegroup.com

© All Rights Reserved 2000-2011
All posts by Ed Baker
ULYCYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

yes i am young i am 17 i have been around cars as long as i can rember, and i just bought my dream car during summer.. it is all stock ecept for a k&n air filter, i want a true cold air , i put some gauges in it oil press, boost, and water temp.. i have a direct scan but i dont have a laptop, which one is better scan master or direct scan??
Old 02-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Keep the Rubber Side Down

Send a message via AIM to larobj63 Send a message via Yahoo to larobj63
The true cold airs don't seem to be a track proven advantage over the traditional K&N cone on a solid MAF...

That's funny, I have a cheap laptop, and I want Direct Scan ..Really, I bought a Dell Latitude with Win95 some time ago off Ebay for this purpose..laptop is trouble free, and was only $90.oo!

I bought my GN when I was a few weeks from being 20 (8+ yrs ago..)...try not to get too many tickets, bro.....
· Working Power Antenna
· Hooker 2.5” w/ Aero Chambers
· Hotwired 340
· Koni’s
· Suspension Techniques Springs
· GTA’s w/ BFG KDW’s
larobj63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

thanks, i have the K&N cone right on the MAF but i was reading on buickgn.com they said the cold air will help out. I have been stoped 2 times one wheni first bought it i was taking some guy a ride and i got on on it pulling out of a stop sign and it got side ways and the cop saw me , and the other one was for barking second , no tickets though.. i wish i could find a laptop before spring..
Advertisement