Street racing update - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Turbo Buick Car Clubs > Buick Racers in Toronto and Surrounding Areas

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
fantasy tuner/investor

Street racing update

Street Racing Walkers Call on McGuinty Liberals to Act Now !

(Queen’s Park) Oak Ridges MPP Frank Klees today welcomed Adrienne Seggie to Queen’s Park at a media conference on street racing. Adrienne’s son, Matthew, was killed in Hamilton in November, 2006, by a street racer. Adrienne and her family are now on a protest walk from Hamilton to Ottawa to push for tougher penalties for street racers.

Klees, a former transportation minister, also took the opportunity to call on the government to do more than just talk about the issue, and to immediately implement his private member’s Bill 122, “An Act to Enhance Safety on Ontario’s Roads and to Empower Police Officers to Shut Down Street Racing,” introduced by Klees on June 7, 2006.

"There is no good reason why the government did not pass the Street Racing Bill months ago" said Klees. "We have to send a clear message that deadly street racing will not be tolerated in this province".

Klees took up the street racing issue following the tragic death of his constituents Rob and Lisa Manchester who were the innocent victims of a street race in York Region.

Although he called on the government to implement the legislation before its summer recess, the government refused to grant the unanimous consent required to put the Bill into law.

Klees' Bill would empower front line police officers to issue on the spot licence suspensions and vehicle impoundments in cases where street racing is suspected. The bill also bans driving with a connected nitrous oxide fuel system on all streets and highways, and increases fines and imposes licence suspensions and jail terms for anyone convicted of street racing.

Joining Adrienne Seggie at the Queen’s Park media conference was John Hickey, whose daughter Allison and her fiancé Mark Radman were badly injured in a street racing incident. Lawyers Darcy Merkur and Michael Bennett of the Toronto law firm Thomson, Rogers, who represented victims of street racing, also appeared at the conference to support the walkers and to join with Klees in calling on the McGuinty Liberals to implement Bill 122.

Seizure and disposal of nitrous oxide
(3) A police officer exercising his or her powers under section 82 may,

(a) remove nitrous oxide, or the part of the nitrous oxide fuel system comprising the canister, bottle, tank or other store of nitrous oxide, from a vehicle and dispose of them, or cause their removal and disposal, at the cost and risk of the driver and owner, who are jointly and severally liable; or

(b) order the driver or owner of the vehicle to remove nitrous oxide, or the part of the nitrous oxide fuel system comprising the canister, bottle, tank or other store of nitrous oxide, from a vehicle and dispose of them appropriately

(5) Every person who contravenes or fails to comply with subsection (1) or an order of a police officer under clause (3) (b) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both.

Last edited by norbs; 03-14-2007 at 07:47 PM.
norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
OK! Who Farted Again??

I'm for having fun but some of these kids are out of control!! Too much money for parts & not enuf brains! I know that this gives police powers to be a-holes if they like but I dont see them picking on someone thats driving normal? Take it to the track!! You run my wife over & the cops are the LAST THING you gotta worry about!!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car.
Special order by the VP of GM Canada not another like it! Still looking for current contact info for Mr. Nick Hall The phone number from build order is now expired. Any help is Appreciatted!!
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-...anadian-plants

Lots of Go Fast goodies!
11.5 is as Fast as I go!
2004 Black with 2 tone tan leather Yukon Denali for towing needs. Drives like a couch on wheels!

It's a Small World, but I wouldn't want to Paint It!!

BPG Member #2040

Just a Six?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
fantasy tuner/investor

I agree get the punks off the road .I may have to go to Shannonville now , but I'm worried about stopping!.ack

Old 03-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
cakefarts.com

Well you'd better take off that turbo, super-charger or any other power adder you've got.

Street racing can be done with 100h/p or 1000h/p.

Won't be long before picking your nose or farting in your car is going to be illegal.

F'king unreal

Only a memory now.

'87 Olds Cutlass

New Toy.

1 RARE T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
OK! Who Farted Again??

Its making people have purpose built race cars with safety eqipment for the track which is good. I dont like that a cop in a bad mood can screw you over but lets face it, they already can! I'm more worried about the cop "wanna be" with the sniff machine that can fine you till the cows come home!
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car.
Special order by the VP of GM Canada not another like it! Still looking for current contact info for Mr. Nick Hall The phone number from build order is now expired. Any help is Appreciatted!!
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-...anadian-plants

Lots of Go Fast goodies!
11.5 is as Fast as I go!
2004 Black with 2 tone tan leather Yukon Denali for towing needs. Drives like a couch on wheels!

It's a Small World, but I wouldn't want to Paint It!!

BPG Member #2040

Just a Six?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Neigbours r sleeping?

Unhappy

"Witnesses said it looked like the cars were racing."

I am getting sick and tired of these bleeding blow hards.

Don't get me wrong, I was hurt because of some person that was flying down the road and forgot to stop.

It is simple with the existing laws, let the cops do what they are supposed to.

My grandfathers fought in the WARS to give me freedom NOW we have all these freedoms are taken away one by one.

New LAWS are not going to stop street racing, it has been around since the first auto was made and will continue.

When are we gonna start charging people for walking across a intersection , ooops we already do that.

Bottom line is we have so many laws that are made and never enforce but for a short period of time.

All you have to do is drive down a side street in Hamilton and look at the cars. Parked on the wrong side of the street etc. Ok so it's bylaws issue.

But you get the point new laws are not going to stop this.

Existing Canadian Law.

* Dangerous operation not causing bodily harm or death committed while street racing.

* Dangerous operation causing bodily harm committed while street racing.

* Dangerous operation causing death while street racing.

* Criminal negligence causing bodily harm and criminal negligence causing death while street racing.

These cover it all as I see it.

Later AJ

Tell me and I will forget. Teach me and I may learn. Involve me and I shall understand. ___AJ___
Experts are too often gimp by what they spawn, leading to the belief that; __I know it all.__ You know who you are.
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right. ~Mark Twain

Last edited by $1987 GN$; 03-15-2007 at 09:17 AM.
$1987 GN$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbs
I agree get the punks off the road .I may have to go to Shannonville now , but I'm worried about stopping!.ack

I'd say your fine Norbs, you'll be running the 1/8th anyway....
Old 03-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Why have one ?

Quote:

not to worry norbs . this season Shannonville will have a NEW "Safe Stop" feature . they will be attaching a 1/4 mile lenght of 2" rope to the back bumpers of cars at the starting line . and now will use the unused portion of the track for live stock auctions and tractor sales .

Last edited by KWIKR 1; 03-15-2007 at 04:10 PM.
KWIKR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
fantasy tuner/investor

WHat is at the end of the track if you can't stop in time?

Old 03-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
THE MILF MAGNET

A herd of buffalo.

THEY CALL ME DOCTOR LOVE...I'VE GOT THE CURE THE MILFS ARE THINKING OF.
beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Why have one ?

Quote:
WHat is at the end of the track if you can't stop in time?

The Beer TENT !!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
it will run one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by $1987 GN$
New LAWS are not going to stop street racing, it has been around since the first auto was made and will continue.
Been around since the second car was made.
First guy did not have anyone to race.
Thats is why the second car was built

That lady who`s son was killed in Hamilton in November is walking to Ottawa to take her fight against street racing to the government.
The sad part about that is her son was not killed by a street racer.
It was some kid from out of town in a neon going too fast. Single car.

Witnesses said there was a second car but they were too far apart to be racing.
I know the intersection and yes there have been more than a few races off those lights and I think some people who live around there told the media that it was a popular racing spot and it was blow out of proportion after that.
The media was saying street racing but the police said it was not and was no evidence leading them to believe it was.
I`m sorry this lady lost her son but she is blaming the wrong people.

When ever the media talk about street racing in the GTA, they like to mention that 36 (I think) deaths have been blamed on street racing in the last 6 or 7 years.
Alot of these death were just the result of some kid driving too fast and were single car wrecks, but they always try to tie it to street racing. Makes for a better story I guess

I have been around street racing for 20 + years and do not remember one person being hurt let alone killed that whole time.

Last edited by R/T kota; 03-15-2007 at 08:10 PM.
R/T kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
fantasy tuner/investor

I'm sure there was some deaths contributed to it. There's risks to alot of things, going down the 401 with wheels coming off rigs, etc They won;t build a race track in Toronto and the local community people are too worried about noise and pollution. The result is increased street racing as the consequence. THe air force base on has lots of nice empty land, but i think its going to houses/condo's because it makes the goverment more taxes.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Norbs

If you run the 1/4 there is a sharp left at the end, if you don't make it there is a fence and a feild..

I still think they will ask you to run the 1/8

I understand you'll be running single digits anyway... thats way too fast for that track....
Old 03-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Why have one ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by More_Boost!!
Norbs

If you run the 1/4 there is a sharp left at the end, if you don't make it there is a fence and a feild..

I still think they will ask you to run the 1/8

I understand you'll be running single digits anyway... thats way too fast for that track....

there are cars that run "single digits" at Shannonville .