race gas - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Alcohol, Propane & Nitrous

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

race gas

im new to the turbo stuff...bought a car that has alot of stuff done to it...boost guage in car only reads 20 psi and it pegs it out(new guage on the way)...my question is,in the higher boost (15 psi and higher) i had detonation,which in turn from my racing days,i thought was lack of octane...so i have been running 110 octane race gas,but i was told that the 110 race gas was not good for the o2 sensor and would cause my motor to go lean....i need helpful advice because as u can see i am lost...any help would be greatly appreciated
Superhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Lost you are.. first thing is read read on these forums. Learn to use the search feature.

Then if the car does not have a scanmaster.. buy one. This is very first step 1.

Then.. turn the boost down before your rebuilding an engine

Then.. get the motor to run cleanly at a lower boost level. That may be 15 psi.. maybe 20 psi. Dont start high and work your way down.. start low and work your way up.

Any knock and you'll be rebuilding the motor in short time. If its audible.. you'll be in a bunch of trouble quickly.

lastly.. technically.. with 110 you should be able and run past 20 PSI boost "IF" all the things are setup to do so correctly. Having a 20 PSI gauge and pegging it is a big NO NO when your new to the car.

Yes lead kills the O2. There are ways around it.. alcohol injection is one.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

110 wont cause it to go lean.. boost will.

You need to have a matching chip for the intended boost your running as the chip controls the injectors.

The chip is on your step 2 things to get.. after step 1 scanmaster.

You may even have a weak fuel pump..
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

It sounds like you're hearing the knock, not good, see post above for Scanmaster.

The lead in racegas will eat away at most sensors in weeks, get a Denso and you'll be able to keep it alive for months. When the Scanmaster millivolt numbers start to get lazy and hover around 000 then you know your 02 went bad.

20psi boost gauge might be a good sign, maybe the previous owner didn't care much about racing it. Though the mods comment is odd with that presumption?

Rebuild #2, BLK/BL Paint w/Custom Metal Flares, VPE Stg 3 Heads, 210/215 Roller Cam, TA49, Billet Drum/Input, PTC 9.5", T Brake, Inland 3.5" DS, KB Plenum/70mm TB, Razor's Post Turbo & Devils Own Pre Turbo Alky Kits, 80lb Inj, Bosch 044 Pump & my custom fitting,-8/-6 SS Fuel Lines, MBC, Pwr Plt, Turbo Protector and -3 Feedline, Preluber, Z06 Maf, Translator, Volt Master, Poston Headers, THSS 3.5" DP/Test Pipe, SS 2.5" Y Pipe w/No Muffs, PST 2" Drop, Poly Bushings, Boxed Upper/Lower Arms, QA1 Rear Shocks, Vacuum Brakes, Aerospace 10.75" Brakes w/SS lines, Alum Drums, Polished Autodrags 15x8/15x10, Nitto 555R 275/60's
GNVYUS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
"High Boost" Plug Wires

KABOOM! Watch that boost!

On the Fastest of the Fast

JD......................TAI Champion
Jason White.........TSM Champion Now in the 8's
Don Cruz.............TSO 180mph!!!!
Sean Hayes.........THS
Richie Balcom.......TSM
Dave Fiscus.........TSO

SHANE TAI 61
Dual Nozzel AlkyControl
blackgn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
local 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgn1 View Post
KABOOM! Watch that boost!

MORE LIKE DABOOM!!!!!!
210/210 DLS roller cam kit,Razor Alky, [email protected] ,42LB,scanmaster,pte stock location ic,knockguage,boostguage,Lt1maf,ttchip,hooker 2 1/2exhaust,testpipe,adj wastegate actuator,9.5vigilante convertor,trans cooler,Jimmy's rebuild trans, k&n filter,billet adj fuel regulator,casper fuel pump hot wire kit,39,000 miles

http://www.gnttype.org/
http://www.bradpennracing.com/
http://www.hydrodynamicsplumbing.com/index.html
DIAZ 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement