Who Needs An Intercooler When You Have Alky And E85!! - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Alcohol, Propane & Nitrous

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Who Needs An Intercooler When You Have Alky And E85!!

Since converting to E85 and twin M15 Post Alky and 2gph Pre, I was able to sell my FMIC and 60lb injectors to pay for the bigger 80lb Injectors, TT Chip, Denso Pump and Racetronix Hot Wire Kit that was needed for this E85 conversion.

I'm now running more boost and timing than ever before and it's cheaper to do since I buy E85 at $2.29 a gal vs 110 at $6.50. I could probably push this more but I don't have an MAT sensor so I'd rather play it safe. I know it didn't like 28psi so there isn't that much left in this combo.

I have a full right up on the other board but all in all, this is worth doing for those of you like me that don't plan on being at the track often but want the most of your street driving (need E85 stations of course). Most of us already have Alky on the car, running the extra M15 isn't expensive or a big deal.

Eric at TurboTweak crafted a chip for this setup that literally puts you back to gas perimeters injector wise. We had to pull out 30% at WOT since the Pre-Post injection was making it so rich. I now pulled out 10% more in 1st and 3% in 2nd and 3rd to get it close to the 10.8 AFR that makes great power and is still safe.

I have Razors alky knob at 3pm so it's almost maxed out with the turn on at 8psi since E85 can handle the low end and would drown out. Preturbo turns on around 6psi and added 1psi of compressor map back to me.

Alky IMO is the right hand man to E85, if I want to go to the track and lay down a 32psi run now, I'll just call up Rockett Brand and get their 112 Octane brew.

All you stock turbo guys, this would free up at least 5psi making the stock turbo a little beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Who Needs An Intercooler When You Have Alky And E85!!-gn-meth-twin-2.jpg  

Rebuild #2, BLK/BL Paint w/Custom Metal Flares, VPE Stg 3 Heads, 210/215 Roller Cam, TA49, Billet Drum/Input, PTC 9.5", T Brake, Inland 3.5" DS, KB Plenum/70mm TB, Razor's Post Turbo & Devils Own Pre Turbo Alky Kits, 80lb Inj, Bosch 044 Pump & my custom fitting,-8/-6 SS Fuel Lines, MBC, Pwr Plt, Turbo Protector and -3 Feedline, Preluber, Z06 Maf, Translator, Volt Master, Poston Headers, THSS 3.5" DP/Test Pipe, SS 2.5" Y Pipe w/No Muffs, PST 2" Drop, Poly Bushings, Boxed Upper/Lower Arms, QA1 Rear Shocks, Vacuum Brakes, Aerospace 10.75" Brakes w/SS lines, Alum Drums, Polished Autodrags 15x8/15x10, Nitto 555R 275/60's
GNVYUS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

That's a cool(pun intended) setup! Have you taken it to the track or dynoed that setup?
forzfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Scam Detector Enabled

Does the alky injection do anything significant? Other than make it say...E92 or such?

www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

I consider all posts on any Board to be my personal property as per the law and they may be used by anyone freely, but, no one can be charged to access my personal posts.
Steve Wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2010, 04:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm going back to the track this year, I had a Walbro that messed my track and dyno session up in 08' and I have some issues resolved. I plan on seeing what this setup and my Nittos can do. I also have a PTC and QA1's now so this combo should woop on my old one.

Since I'm using the twin M15's as my intercooler I think at this boost level that I'm definitely close to low 100 MATs. Then the E85 supposedly cools that MAT temp another 30 degrees (Carbs see 50-60 degrees) so if I had an MAT sensor I'd want to get it around 105 degrees. Good thing about ditching the FMIC is you gain back a bunch of lbs at the compressor map so the turbo's probably pushing at least 3psi less boost which could be around 36 degrees off the table at the same psi. Then I have Preturbo which gained me another 1psi at the comp map so this TA49 is definitely breathing colder than ever and ready for mid 30psi boost levels if I had the Cahones to do it.

I have a post on the other board, but with the piping this short, I had a hell of a time getting the Manual Boost Controller and the adjustable wastegate rod to get back to normal levels. I had a few holy $hit moments tuning the boost level since I only pulled out 3psi because I figured that was what the FMIC was choking back, well, not even close. This setup was so different I pulled out like 12 turns on the rod and my MBC screw was so different now that I had to find a new 0 psi and start over on it.

Rebuild #2, BLK/BL Paint w/Custom Metal Flares, VPE Stg 3 Heads, 210/215 Roller Cam, TA49, Billet Drum/Input, PTC 9.5", T Brake, Inland 3.5" DS, KB Plenum/70mm TB, Razor's Post Turbo & Devils Own Pre Turbo Alky Kits, 80lb Inj, Bosch 044 Pump & my custom fitting,-8/-6 SS Fuel Lines, MBC, Pwr Plt, Turbo Protector and -3 Feedline, Preluber, Z06 Maf, Translator, Volt Master, Poston Headers, THSS 3.5" DP/Test Pipe, SS 2.5" Y Pipe w/No Muffs, PST 2" Drop, Poly Bushings, Boxed Upper/Lower Arms, QA1 Rear Shocks, Vacuum Brakes, Aerospace 10.75" Brakes w/SS lines, Alum Drums, Polished Autodrags 15x8/15x10, Nitto 555R 275/60's
Old 07-24-2010, 05:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

so did you run the car before ya did all this ?? what was the cost ?? a few guys around me were lookin to E85 BUT it isn't plentiful around us. so I just converted them to alky an pump gas.. I know other guys with different cars ran good with E85 BUT I haven't really read much about Buick guys usin it.. Oh why did ya use alky ??? I thought E 85 could be used straight without anything else ??

RX 7 ... Dual nozzle Alky is IN !! 27#s is a hell of a ride

92 Olds barge wagon .. Buick powered of course with Julio's Alkycontrol !! Billet 200R4 coming soon

Melissa's STREET GN with a dash of alky from ALKYCONTROL 9.94 @ 138.17. New junk coming soon

People swaping insults and other wise-ass remarks on the internet are like two dogs barking at each other thru a fence.
They usually start waging their tails when they come to an open gate.

86/87 GN and 89 TTA .. lots of parts !! Stuff has to go !!! email [email protected]
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

E85 could be used straight, but he eliminated the IC as well. He's using the alky to compensate for no IC. Lots of locals doing it here. (mainly carb'd guys). Supposedly this speeds up spool time a ton as well. I don't see it making that much of a difference on an auto in the 1/4 mile since we are building our boost on the brake first. Other than a bit of weight/space savings I really don't see the point in no IC. Would be a nice idea if you had an extremly small engine compartment.

I just got my motor back together and I'm converting to e85 this time. (9:1 CR)

I'll be running my IC though. Eric's chip just arrived yesterday. I'm still waiting on the "special" fuel filter. Magnafuel 650 hp pump and 1/2" SS hardline and braided lines installed. Modified pickup is done. 83lb injectors installed. Haven't decided if I'm going to use the meth injection or not. It is already installed so if there are any gains to be had I might as well.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b1...fuelpickup.jpg
86 Rx-7 GXL Hybrid 86 Grand National motor. (9:1) TRW pistons, Webber ported IRONS, Turbo Tweak E85chip,Translator plus,PT68 turbo,CPT 9" Competition converter, Powerglide, 83lb inj's, Magna Flow 650HP fuel pump, 218/218 flat tapp. cam, 10mm Race Wires, Adj. FP Regulator,RJC PP ,FMIC 18x32 spearco bar&plate, Custom 3 inch mandrel DP, postons X-over pipe. deltagate WG, 3.27 gears, WB 02, 26"x9 slicks,

Best... 10.24 at 133

Last edited by VxTurboxV; 07-28-2010 at 12:05 PM.
VxTurboxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nasty.

I love water/meth.

What size nozzle is in the intake pipe? did you run that when you still had the intercooler? Ever have water/meth puddle in the IC?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Never tracked the car before I ditched the FMIC, but I was never able to run 25psi and 25 degrees with pump gas and alky so I'd assume this setup is faster.

I'm using the alky as the intercooler and the E85 is aiding in octane and extra cooling on top of the alky.

I sold the intercooler and saved money doing this. The expenses were the inlet pipe, 90 degree hose, beading to the pipe ends and the extra nozzle and line from Julio since I already had the alky kit. Of course the Preturbo setup was more, but most aren't going to do that anyways.

It not only spools up way faster, but you gain back the compressor map that the intercooler eats up. I'd imagine if I had the guts to run 33psi with this turbo I'd still be making power.

I believe this dropped off 28lbs, but it's another side benefit along with much cooler temps, it never goes over 175 even in the 90's.

But I just ran into a corrosion issue with E85, hunting down the culprits and a solution as I type this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement