pre-injection video footage. (with test results) - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Alcohol, Propane & Nitrous

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

pre-injection video footage. (with test results)

This is copied from over on the DSM forums. You can go see the original post here. Not sure why the pics don't load automatically on my post.

Pre-compressor injection test results - DSM Forums

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...00221-1717.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...221-1308RS.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...00221-1309.jpg

A view from down the throat of the intake tube:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...00221-1309.jpg

And here's a shot of the engine on the dyno:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...00221-1521.jpg

Quote:
Set-up specifics: The engine on the dyno was a relatively stock 2.3L Ford engine out of a late 80's Thunderbird. The turbo was a Holset HX-35 running at 22-23 psi. The engine was producing roughly 450HP and 389 ft/lb torque. The nozzles were all mounted in the same location throughout the tests - about 4" away from the compressor nut. The pump used was the Devil's Own 250 psi pump.

Quote:
Here are the results that we gathered:

No injection;
Before IC temp increase - 29 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 4 deg/sec
Peak boost 22.09 PSI
------------------------------------------------------
1GPH 50/50 mix;
Before IC temp increase - 19.1 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.0 deg/sec
Peak boost 22.88 PSI

1GPH H20;
Before ic temp increase - 24.2 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.4 deg/sec
Peak boost 23.21 PSI

1GPH Washer Solvent;
Before IC temp increase - 24 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3 deg/sec
Peak boost 22.96 PSI

---------------------------------------------------
7GPH 50/50 mix;
Before IC temp increase - 16.9 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 4.5 deg/sec
Peak boost 22.96 PSI

7GPH Water;
Before IC temp increase - 13 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 4.7 deg/sec <---no IC fan - OOPS!
Peak boost 22.92 PSI

7GPH Methanol;
Before IC temp increase - 19.3 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.5 deg/sec
Peak boost 23.0 PSI

7GPH Washer Solvent;
Before IC temp increase - 11 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.8 deg/sec
Peak boost 23.3 PSI
-----------------------------------------------------------
10GPH Methanol;
Before IC temp increase - 14.3 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.2 deg/sec
Peak boost 23.05 PSI

10GPH Washer Solvent
Before IC temp increase - 11.2 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.4 deg/sec
Peak boost 22.71 PSI

So, surprisingly enough, our best results were using the 7GPH nozzle and injecting the windshield washer solvent. The "after IC" temp measurements are probably not too important as they only show that the intercooler was doing its job. We did remove the intercooler after the testing and found a small puddle of water right after the intercooler. It was pure water, but it was a very small amount (not enough to cause worry).

YouTube - Pre-compressor water injection

And here's a video of one of the pulls:

YouTube - Engine Dyno Pull @ Street & Strip

Anf just because we like having pyro fun, this was using the 10 GPH nozzle with straight methanol.

YouTube - Pyro fun with methanol and 250 psi
86 Rx-7 GXL Hybrid 86 Grand National motor. (9:1) TRW pistons, Webber ported IRONS, Turbo Tweak E85chip,Translator plus,PT68 turbo,CPT 9" Competition converter, Powerglide, 83lb inj's, Magna Flow 650HP fuel pump, 218/218 flat tapp. cam, 10mm Race Wires, Adj. FP Regulator,RJC PP ,FMIC 18x32 spearco bar&plate, Custom 3 inch mandrel DP, postons X-over pipe. deltagate WG, 3.27 gears, WB 02, 26"x9 slicks,

Best... 10.24 at 133

Last edited by VxTurboxV; 02-24-2010 at 06:19 PM.
VxTurboxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yep, hopefully this will ease more peoples worries about it and the positive affect it has on the turbo.

Surprisingly, 7gph of Washer Fluid showed the best results with a 250psi pump, wow.

I'm 50/50 Water/Meth at 2gph and the data is pretty much showing my results but at 1gph so my eyes saw the same thing on the Boost Gauge.

The puddle brings up an interesting find, most likely the 7gph Water, Washer Fluid and the 10gph Washer could all be the culprits there. More data will be needed to see how larger turbos do with larger nozzles and how turn on points could effect the puddle since there is more compressor heat at higher psi levels. I'd bet a 70mm turbo running a 7gph of Washer Fluid at a 15psi turn on wouldn't puddle.

If puddlings a worry, just run pure Meth or a 50/50 no bigger than 2gph until further data comes through.

Rebuild #2, BLK/BL Paint w/Custom Metal Flares, VPE Stg 3 Heads, 210/215 Roller Cam, TA49, Billet Drum/Input, PTC 9.5", T Brake, Inland 3.5" DS, KB Plenum/70mm TB, Razor's Post Turbo & Devils Own Pre Turbo Alky Kits, 80lb Inj, Bosch 044 Pump & my custom fitting,-8/-6 SS Fuel Lines, MBC, Pwr Plt, Turbo Protector and -3 Feedline, Preluber, Z06 Maf, Translator, Volt Master, Poston Headers, THSS 3.5" DP/Test Pipe, SS 2.5" Y Pipe w/No Muffs, PST 2" Drop, Poly Bushings, Boxed Upper/Lower Arms, QA1 Rear Shocks, Vacuum Brakes, Aerospace 10.75" Brakes w/SS lines, Alum Drums, Polished Autodrags 15x8/15x10, Nitto 555R 275/60's

Last edited by GNVYUS 1; 03-09-2010 at 04:29 PM.
GNVYUS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Older than dirt

Send a message via AIM to Old Buzzard
Was there a noticeable difference in HP and TQ w/ the different fluid combos?
706-342-3152
USAF vet. 1960-1966
86 GN.. Gone, but not forgotten
Replaced w/ 87 Turbo T, and 86T/LS
55 Chevy/LQ9 tyr fryer Gone, but missed.
86 T Type/turbo LS...Under construction.
Old Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Pump used was a 250 PSI pump.. but that doesnt mean it made 250 PSI pressure. So the data is bad becuase no pressure readings where used.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Older than dirt

Send a message via AIM to Old Buzzard
Question ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Pump used was a 250 PSI pump.. but that doesnt mean it made 250 PSI pressure. So the data is bad becuase no pressure readings where used.

Given that there were different size nozzles used, I'd agree, to a point, w/ Razor's comment.
However, the "end game" appears to be:
A. Does the compressor inlet spray method work?
B. Were there serious downside effects?
C. What effect[s] do different fluids have?
The GPH flows stated would not be accurate, unless the pressure was controlled at that particular nozzle's rating. I'd think that the nozzle mfgr would state an op psi, if they were to publish a flow number. Did they do so?
As razor stated, psi?? The actual flow could be determined if that was known. This info would be a necessary step to help w/ validation of the test..
I would even venture a guess that the nozzle mfgr has flow charts @ various pressures, sp gr....Y/N??
It would be interesting to see the tests re-run w/ pressure data being gathered.

Another ??
Does the "venturi effect" apply w/ the nozzle facing downstream?
Just my $.02..
Back under my inj bench.
706-342-3152
USAF vet. 1960-1966
86 GN.. Gone, but not forgotten
Replaced w/ 87 Turbo T, and 86T/LS
55 Chevy/LQ9 tyr fryer Gone, but missed.
86 T Type/turbo LS...Under construction.

Last edited by Old Buzzard; 03-12-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

See I use a pump that is larger and has a more agressive cam angle and it can barely make 250 PSI on water.

The flow rates on the nozzles is easy. The M7 flows 7 GPH at 100 PSI. Knowing the pressure you can then interpret the flow. Not having the pressure I dont know how much was flowing. Maybe it only made 80 PSI or 135 PSI. To which we'll never know.

Flow data without pressure is not data. Its a guess.

Next is what happens on a dyno and what happens going down a track. After all the reason we all do this is to increase performance down the track. Guys with Diesels know that water works great, but bogs the **** out of the motor until they can get it over the hump.

I dont say pre-injection doesnt work, just saying that once you do this kind of stuff, make sure you've exhuasted all other means due to the possibility of developing an issue with the turbo.

Not be on the bandwagon "let me start by doing it this way" which is the bandwagon now days. Time will tell as it always has

Personally I think its great for very small turbo's to extend their range.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

The dyno the engine was on had "issues" so they don't have accurate power numbers. As you can tell the setup they were using is pretty "rough".

The original poster has designed a compound system for his car and will be testing on a nice dyno very soon. I requested he get some gauges on the line this time and record power and pressure for us. I'll post the results.

I run a small turbo on my daily driver and as julio said, this is where pre-injection really shines.

Here is the setup on my 16g mitsu turbo. I have since fab'd up a SS 2.75" intake that works much better.

Couple vids too.

1993 Talon TSI :: dual75.flv video by Hybridgnx - Photobucket

1993 Talon TSI :: holding25psi6krpm.flv video by Hybridgnx - Photobucket
Attached Thumbnails
pre-injection video footage. (with test results)-img_3740.jpg   pre-injection video footage. (with test results)-img_3744.jpg  
86 Rx-7 GXL Hybrid 86 Grand National motor. (9:1) TRW pistons, Webber ported IRONS, Turbo Tweak E85chip,Translator plus,PT68 turbo,CPT 9" Competition converter, Powerglide, 83lb inj's, Magna Flow 650HP fuel pump, 218/218 flat tapp. cam, 10mm Race Wires, Adj. FP Regulator,RJC PP ,FMIC 18x32 spearco bar&plate, Custom 3 inch mandrel DP, postons X-over pipe. deltagate WG, 3.27 gears, WB 02, 26"x9 slicks,

Best... 10.24 at 133
Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

"So the data is bad becuase no pressure readings where used."

Common Julio, really, bad, like this info says nothing due to lack of a pump pressure reading?

But doesn't it show how one Shureflow 250psi pump with these different nozzle sizes and mixtures will increase psi and decrease outlet temps? This is pretty solid data that Preturbo is doing what those who run it claimed, it increases compressor efficiency. It could've proven spool up increase but he didn't map the boost vs rpm. But he mentions how spool up increased and others have shown it on their tests. This is no longer opinion, more data is coming in to back up these claims.

We already know the pressure is going to change with nozzle size, how much would've been just extra info, but you're saying exact pressure info is the data that really makes this test valid?
Isn't this data more than what customers of Alky kits had in the very beginning, weren't customers buying kits because installer A said, "I'm now able to run 5 more psi with the M15 nozzle and Shureflow 150psi pump". No one asked, "Ya but how much pressure is the Shureflow pump putting out with the M15 nozzle to gain 5psi of boost on pump gas"?

No, customer A is going to buy the test pump, chose one of the test fluids, run one of the test nozzles and get those results on a turbo around that size. If 7gph Washer Fluid is more effective than 2gph Meth, what does knowing it pushes say 225psi through a 7gph nozzle vs 240psi through a 2gph do for the tuner or change the results? It's the same pump used in all the tests and you can't make the pressure stay at a given psi regardless of nozzle size anyways so we're all in the same boat on the test pumps pressure.

Test proves,
Pump A + Nozzle Size + Fluid = This Result

A. Does the compressor inlet spray method work?
If your compressor was pushing 22psi without the Preturbo and then pushing 23psi with a lower outlet temp, wouldn't that be considering working in a positive way? Don't we already say getting the Dutt Neck for the intercooler is good because it increases boost 2psi due to a freeing of backpressure and resulting in a more efficient compressor? The test proves that Preturbo increases compressor efficiency, that's a good start.

B. Were there serious downside effects?
Looks like anyone of the 10gph nozzles could've been causing a puddling in the intercooler. That would be something they could test in the future if they wanted, seeing which one or all of the mixtures that wasn't evaporating.

C. What effect[s] do different fluids have?
Aside from Water, Water/Meth, Washer Fluid and Meth, not sure as those would be the top 4 fluids and blends to test aside from Nitrous and Isopropyl.

Rebuild #2, BLK/BL Paint w/Custom Metal Flares, VPE Stg 3 Heads, 210/215 Roller Cam, TA49, Billet Drum/Input, PTC 9.5", T Brake, Inland 3.5" DS, KB Plenum/70mm TB, Razor's Post Turbo & Devils Own Pre Turbo Alky Kits, 80lb Inj, Bosch 044 Pump & my custom fitting,-8/-6 SS Fuel Lines, MBC, Pwr Plt, Turbo Protector and -3 Feedline, Preluber, Z06 Maf, Translator, Volt Master, Poston Headers, THSS 3.5" DP/Test Pipe, SS 2.5" Y Pipe w/No Muffs, PST 2" Drop, Poly Bushings, Boxed Upper/Lower Arms, QA1 Rear Shocks, Vacuum Brakes, Aerospace 10.75" Brakes w/SS lines, Alum Drums, Polished Autodrags 15x8/15x10, Nitto 555R 275/60's
Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Point I have is I test pumps. Just like Chuck test's injectors. The small pumps never make it over 150 PSI. When they're on a controller that number may even be less.

If a pump does 250 PSI on an M1 nozzle doesnt mean it will do it on an M15 nozzle.

Nozzles need a certain amount of pressure to atomize. Its just good data to see the pressure applied coupled with the reaction.

I have 2000 PSI pumps on my kits. So for now on everybody who refers to my pump can call it a 2000 PSI pump.

Just like those 6x9's they sell at the flea market rated at 1000watts. Same deceptive stuff.

I never argue it doesnt work. Just that when some says we used the 250 PSI pump it assummes the pump makes 250 PSI on the tests.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm not saying the information is great, I was just putting it up there for those interested. If anything the video was fun to watch.

The more I talk to the guy who ran those tests, the more I hear odd variables were thrown in. Now he tells me they were also running 33% methanol in the fuel to start with.

Also, the turbo was not being pushed to the limits where pre-injection would really benefit. Get a GN with the stock turbo up on the rollers at 21-25psi and I bet we'd see some good results!

Best... 10.24 at 133

Last edited by VxTurboxV; 03-13-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

"If a pump does 250 PSI on an M1 nozzle doesnt mean it will do it on an M15 nozzle."
Sure I agree if you're testing Postturbo Injection with twins involved too, but it's testing single and smaller Preturbo nozzle sizes and in the end the results are what we have to go by and what should matter.
250 pump, 1gph noz, 50/50 fluid, 1psi gain. Call the pump 250GOD, doesn't matter, that combo produced this positive result. Maybe 2000psi pump does the exact same thing, cool, customers buy results, not model name stickers on pumps so you'd have to test 2000psi pump for this to be valid.

The goal of the Preturbo Injection test wasn't pressure through an M15 so why bring that up again? What alky pump being sold by any of the Alky kit company's can't atomize through 1-7gph nozzles?

"Now he tells me they were also running 33% methanol in the fuel to start with."

Are you implying that info will affect his Preturbo Injection results?

"Get a GN with the stock turbo up on the rollers at 21-25psi and I bet we'd see some good results!"
1) A dyno test before and after is secondary data to the initial test data he supplied. I'd rather have his initial data vs the dyno data.
2) Is dyno data what the GN community needs to make a test valid now? Would that really change anyone's mind around here? It hasn't in the past and I've yet to see dyno data used to sell a product. PTE's turbo session is probably the 1st of it's kind to do so, and it's the year 2010.

I fear no test is good around here unless it's done on a GN, by a GN owner.

Last edited by GNVYUS 1; 03-14-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNVYUS 1 View Post
"[B]
I fear no test is good around here unless it's done on a GN, by a GN owner.
well with all the BS on the net I want to see track #s to .. same thing goes for taking the intercooler out with alky

RX 7 ... Dual nozzle Alky is IN !! 27#s is a hell of a ride

92 Olds barge wagon .. Buick powered of course with Julio's Alkycontrol !! Billet 200R4 coming soon

Melissa's STREET GN with a dash of alky from ALKYCONTROL 9.94 @ 138.17. New junk coming soon

People swaping insults and other wise-ass remarks on the internet are like two dogs barking at each other thru a fence.
They usually start waging their tails when they come to an open gate.

86/87 GN and 89 TTA .. lots of parts !! Stuff has to go !!! email [email protected]
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
"Now he tells me they were also running 33% methanol in the fuel to start with."
Are you implying that info will affect his Preturbo Injection results?
No. Iím just saying the test could have given us more useful information than what it did. While the initial fuel may not change the pre-injection temp results or compressor efficiency, It will determine the total knock threshold of the motor, which IMO is the main reason people run any type of aux injection to start with. If one could eliminate knock without any sort of post injection, that would be good to know as well. Also if your looking at spool-up time, it will be slower with 33% meth mix compared to pump fuel.

Quote:
"Get a GN with the stock turbo up on the rollers at 21-25psi and I bet we'd see some good results!*"

1) A dyno test before and after is secondary data to the initial test data he supplied. I'd rather have his initial data vs the dyno data.
2) Is dyno data what the GN community needs to make a test valid now? Would that really change anyone's mind around here? It hasn't in the past and I've yet to see dyno data used to sell a product. PTE's turbo session is probably the 1st of it's kind to do so, and it's the year 2010.

Well, yes and no. I see where your coming from. (believe me Iím with you!)

Seems everyone wants HP gains, not inlet temps and not total boost increase. Yes, obviously it is improving the efficiency if boost is able to increase. But then one would argue they could simply turn the boost controller up another tic and get an additional pound of boost. So what makes pre-injection worth while? IMO, unless your pushing your current turbo past it's effeciency island on the comp map it's not going to make much of a difference power wise and is not worth the time/effort.

Say you are able to gain 20% compressor efficiency with the pre-injection. People want to know how this relates to total power output. The most common method of doing that these days is with a dyno. Which is ridiculous Iíll agree, because no 2 engines will dyno the same. I was just saying it would show the best results on a turbo currently being maxed out airflow wise. Thats where the real HP gains can bee seen. A setup like tested Isn't going to show stellar results because they weren't pushing the setup to the limit to start with.

I've done it and it works, thats all the "proof" I need.

To me itís the poor mans 10-20% larger turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
well with all the BS on the net I want to see track #s to .. same thing goes for taking the intercooler out with alky
IMO theres to many variables in track #'s. Thats the point of a dyno, to try and remove some of the variables. (even though there will still be a ton).

Best... 10.24 at 133

Last edited by VxTurboxV; 03-15-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Scam Detector Enabled

[QUOTE=GNVYUS 1;792142

I fear no test is good around here unless it's done on a GN, by a GN owner. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like global warming to me.

Science is verifiable and the data has to be there to support the results.

When one takes the time to read thru the above, one sees there is very little verifiable data available to support the advertising.

This is the reason that the ricer market is so attractive to vendors.....the squeal of the pig is often more important than the quality of the bacon.

Hopefully there will be continued testing with more pertinent data produced to substantiate, or moderate, the claims as well as what actually created any performance gains.

Progress does not come without someone daring to be different. Progress is not real unless one can verify that it is indeed progress.

www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

I consider all posts on any Board to be my personal property as per the law and they may be used by anyone freely, but, no one can be charged to access my personal posts.
Steve Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Steve, I take it you don't think that the test PROVED that nozzle A, through pump B nets result C due to lack of a pump pressure reading also or do you need additional info like, multiple test days, a track or dyno before and after etc to help solidify it?

FWIW, the Devils Own Shureflow 250 pumps are set to 200psi, internally regulated with a pulse free flow, so the 1gph nozzle @ 12v is 1.41gph and around 1.6 at 13.4v. These pumps have a more predictable pressure vs the 150's due to the info above which makes the results more universal from tuner A to B.

So these post lead me to ask, what data was in the GN market in say, 2005, that proved any of the GN vendors alky kits supported (with the test data everyone in here is saying is missing in the Preturbo test) the results customers were claiming?

This Import Tuners data is WAY more than what we all had when we bought an alky kit 4-5 years ago and no one said those kits weren't proven.

"same thing goes for taking the intercooler out with alky"

This one is more cut and dry, if you can get the inlet temps to equal what the intercooler was doing, then you gain back the piping volume and core backpressure while saving a butt load of $$ to convert to E85.

Last edited by GNVYUS 1; 03-25-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement