mixing methanol with gasoline? - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Alcohol, Propane & Nitrous

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

mixing methanol with gasoline?

anybody ever try this? can it even be done, mixing a lil bit of meth with pump gas..

Cant fix'em, but i can drive'em......
BOOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Boost Addict?

That's what alky kit's do for you... seriously if you mean mixing meth like in your gas tank? I wouldn't. Meth is really corrosive.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Scam Detector Enabled

Most pump gas has at least 10% ethanol in it today.....other than perhaps some corrosion, there is no reason one could not put methanol in as well....

On the other hand, why would you want to do that? Adding alky means one needs more total fuel injected into the engine to get the same number of btus worth of energy as is provided by straight gasoline.

As we use alky injection in the form of a supplement, we obtain two benefits....charge cooling (chemical intercooling) and some extra octane. It's not the same as adding it to the gas tank.

www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

I consider all posts on any Board to be my personal property as per the law and they may be used by anyone freely, but, no one can be charged to access my personal posts.
Steve Wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Methanol and ethanol are not the same. Methanol can be very corrosive to parts in the fuel system, you wouldn't want methanol mixed with gas in your tank. Ethanol is OK as many fuels today already contain a percentage of Ethanol, usually 10%.

Methanol in your alky kit injection kit is fine. I use Methyl Hydrate.
1987 GN PP irons, TE-61, Cotton's Front Mount, ATR Double Pumpers, 60#'s, TT Chip, ATR Dual 3 inch exhaust. THDP, SMC Alky Kit, UMI Upper and lower control arms, Bilstein shocks, ATR Coil springs, ATR front and rear sway bars, Built Tranny with Pat's 10 inch 3,200 stall, Vacuum conversion, SS brake hoses, and what ever else I forgot
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement