Radio for the GN - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Turbo Buick Car Clubs > Mid Atlantic Grand National Association (MAGNA)

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
87GN5litrebeater
Help computer!

Send a message via AIM to 87GN5litrebeater
Radio for the GN

Ok... So I'm now giving some attention to the GN now that the Formy is sold and I have some extra play money I want to do wheels, darker tint etc... on the GN. But how sad is it now that the 4 cars I have not one has a CD player The Formy was the only one I could play my discs in! So with all these CD's I want to put a CD player in the GN. What have you guys used? I just want simple CD player I don't need amps and bomb boxs tubes etc... just simple... What did you guys spend and how easy or hard was it to put in? I thought about taking it to a sound place but I hate to pay people to do things I think I can do
TA 49 + a few things.. Blue and chrome with a bench!
1986 Grand National
Low mile car.. Next restoration project
1984 T-Type
Completely restored hot air.. Silver surfer
1978 Sport Coupe turbo
Restored & FOR SALE
1997 GTP 2 door
Supercharged daily driver
2005 Infiniti G35 Sport coupe 6 speed
(My favorite)
-Adam-
87GN5litrebeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
mjdwyer23
Money Pit

Very easy, a good one can be had for under 200 bucks. If you get the wire harness adapter and know how to match colors and crimp connections, you are set. Phillyturbosix likes his newer GM monsoon unit I think.
SOLD -- 1987 WE4, PT52, PTE front mount, 50 Lbs., 70mm TB/Hemco upper, Razor's Alky, THDP, RJC EVERYTHING! ATR stainless 3" exhaust, Test pipe with electric cutout, GN spoiler, Turbo Tweak chip, Scanmaster, 11.58@120 1.8 60'

SOLD -- 70 Chevelle -- 427, solid roller, forged.
mjdwyer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
1of1547
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GN5litrebeater View Post
Ok... So I'm now giving some attention to the GN now that the Formy is sold and I have some extra play money I want to do wheels, darker tint etc... on the GN. But how sad is it now that the 4 cars I have not one has a CD player The Formy was the only one I could play my discs in! So with all these CD's I want to put a CD player in the GN. What have you guys used? I just want simple CD player I don't need amps and bomb boxs tubes etc... just simple... What did you guys spend and how easy or hard was it to put in? I thought about taking it to a sound place but I hate to pay people to do things I think I can do
I prefer the hum of six cylinders with a little turbo whine on top. We got a nice JVC from Crutchfields for Mary's Liberty. It has a digital tuner, remote, and an Ipod connector. If you get one let me know, we can put it in one evening or weekend.
Tuned by Anderson Performance
1of1547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
87GN5litrebeater
Help computer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of1547 View Post
I prefer the hum of six cylinders with a little turbo whine on top. We got a nice JVC from Crutchfields for Mary's Liberty. It has a digital tuner, remote, and an Ipod connector. If you get one let me know, we can put it in one evening or weekend.

Sweeeeeeeeet thanks Dougie! I might patrol ebay for a good deal
1986 Grand National
1984 T-Type
1978 Sport Coupe turbo
Restored & FOR SALE
1997 GTP 2 door
(My favorite)
-Adam-
Old 02-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Purple87SS
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!

Send a message via AIM to Purple87SS
I prefer Pioneer brand CD players. I have had.one in my SS since I installed it in 2000 and also the T since 05. Oh yeah also my first car in 98 too. No problems whatsoever. Go to best buy/tweeter/ etc and play and see what you like, then go to ebay for a better deal. Make sure its not a refurb unit too. Let's us know what u decide to go with.

1987 TURBO T WE4(1 of 1547)
"Yeah, it's only a !"
11.27@121.74, 1.76 60'

2010 CTS-V "Cadzilla" 11 second DD
1987 Monte Carlo SS- "Purple People Eater"-SOLD
2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS- "Daily Driver"- SOLD
Purple87SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
gnetic86
Registered Luser

I have an Alpine in my GTP - excellent sound quality but expensive as $hit. I used to have one in my GN, but someone else liked it better. Alpines have the benefit of really being expandable, but if you just want basic stuff then I'd second Jay's Pioneer recommendation - good bang for the buck, or a Sony.

Some of you may cringe, but I have a Dual in my beater VW that rocks! For under $200 it plays MP3 CDs, has an Ipod interface, AND connects to my phone via bluetooth. If the car ever dies I can park it in the back yard and use it as an office! I'm considering one for the GN.

If you get a radio locally - you can prob get the harness adapters from Circuit $hitty pretty cheap right now since they're going out of business.

Last but not least, it has to be said, DO NOT GET THE *GOSH DARN* CHEAP MOUNTING KIT THAT MAKES THE RADIO STICK OUT 6 FEET! If you go online you can find GM flush-mount kits that mount the radio flat like the stock radio.

PS - Check out HUMOUNT.COM, they make some AWESOME mounts but only fit newer cars. I'm going to ask them about making one for G-bodies.
Mods: Hotwired Walbro 340 Fuel Pump, 009 inj (42lb),
Billet Adj. FPR, Turbotweak 5.6 Chip
160 deg. 'stat, K&N Cone Intake, RJC Power Plate
TA-49 Turbo, Powerlogger
MAGNA Assistant Director & PA Rep

Last edited by gnetic86; 02-17-2009 at 02:37 PM.
gnetic86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Scott89TTA

Adam,

Go to Cructchfield Find Car Audio/Video Gear that Fits Your Vehicle at Crutchfield! to find out what fits...search for a model that fits your needs and then shop: ebay, BestBuy, Circuit City (good deals now do to closing down), etc. Chrutchfield tends to be a little expensive but a good place to find what fits and get a starting point on cost.

We put a cheap Sony from Wal-Mart in my son's explorer that has ipod input and also plays mp3's...works and sounds great...I think he only paid about $120. Make sure it is mp3 compatable...you can burn your own CD's with hundreds of songs instead of 15-20 per CD.

Scott
1989 TTA #1376

Best ET 11.18 @ 119.73 w/1.53 60ft (locked converter 95-100 mph 26" tires)
Best MPH 11.23 @ 124.18 w/1.48 60ft (forgot to lock converter 28" tires)

48K...GT6776e, Alky Control, TurboTweak, Scanmaster, PowerLogger, LT1 MAF w/Translator, 3" MAF pipe, Up-Pipe, DP, QTP electric cutout, 60# Motrons, Walbro 340M w/Racetronix hotwire, Anderson Trans w/StageRite Brake, TCS Billet 9/11 3400-3600 converter, M/T DR's 295/55-15, Custom 15x4 & 15x9 Weld RT Vitesse wheels.

MAGNA member

1987 Fiero GT Turbo 2009 Crusin' OC Ice Cream Castle/Hooters Top 10 Honors Winner www.icecreamcastle.com/car_shows.htm
40K...Burgundy, 5-Spd, Miller-Woods Stage II Turbo kit, Center Force clutch, Bilsteins, heavy sway bars, IRM side scoops, Michelin Pilots.
Scott89TTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
gn85
Gotta love the autobahn!

Adam,

Just uncap the test pipe so you can't hear yourself singing. See, I just saved you money for that next performance mod.

Seriously, I had a Pioneer cassette player in the Buick for the longest time and finally gave it up for a Sony Xplod. I was amazed at the difference in sound that I was missing. Not to say that the newer Pioneers don't have good sound.. I don't know. I just came across a deal on the Sony and it's like my amp and sub woke up.

Very good advice on this thread for a low cost unit.
Support Education
gn85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Purple87SS
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!

Send a message via AIM to Purple87SS
Sony has been mentioned a few times here... and you shold buy what you like but I have had several friends with Sony Xplod crap and thats what it did- Xplod when my one budy threw it out the window of a moving truck. He had nothing but problems(sounds quality, new CDs skipping, faceplate issues, pre amp outputs).
IMO stay away from Sony.

1987 TURBO T WE4(1 of 1547)
"Yeah, it's only a !"
11.27@121.74, 1.76 60'

2010 CTS-V "Cadzilla" 11 second DD
1987 Monte Carlo SS- "Purple People Eater"-SOLD
2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS- "Daily Driver"- SOLD
Purple87SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
fireberd350
Newly a Cheater

Send a message via AIM to fireberd350
I bought a stocker Buick radio with an AUX port modification from eBay. Costs like $85 plus $40 for a new harness adapter. I haven't tried it yet but it allows me to keep the stock look and have great tunes. I skipped over the whole Disc playing era and went right to digital

Personally I'm not a fan of any aftermarket radio i've seen in a GN. I like the classic look.

fireberd350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
87GN5litrebeater
Help computer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple87SS View Post
I prefer Pioneer brand CD players. I have had.one in my SS since I installed it in 2000 and also the T since 05. Oh yeah also my first car in 98 too. No problems whatsoever. Go to best buy/tweeter/ etc and play and see what you like, then go to ebay for a better deal. Make sure its not a refurb unit too. Let's us know what u decide to go with.
I had a nice Alpine installed in my Camaro years ago... Never had a problem with it. I might stick with Alpine they are priced right and seem to play good. I'll get some pics up once I get one and install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnetic86 View Post

Last but not least, it has to be said, DO NOT GET THE *GOSH DARN* CHEAP MOUNTING KIT THAT MAKES THE RADIO STICK OUT 6 FEET! If you go online you can find GM flush-mount kits that mount the radio flat like the stock radio.

PS - Check out HUMOUNT.COM, they make some AWESOME mounts but only fit newer cars. I'm going to ask them about making one for G-bodies.
Do you know of any flush mounts Jeff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott89TTA View Post
Adam,

Go to Cructchfield Find Car Audio/Video Gear that Fits Your Vehicle at Crutchfield! to find out what fits...search for a model that fits your needs and then shop: ebay, BestBuy, Circuit City (good deals now do to closing down), etc. Chrutchfield tends to be a little expensive but a good place to find what fits and get a starting point on cost.

We put a cheap Sony from Wal-Mart in my son's explorer that has ipod input and also plays mp3's...works and sounds great...I think he only paid about $120. Make sure it is mp3 compatable...you can burn your own CD's with hundreds of songs instead of 15-20 per CD.

Scott
Scott, Good call! I didnt even think about Crutchfield. Then off to Wally World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn85 View Post
Adam,

Just uncap the test pipe so you can't hear yourself singing. See, I just saved you money for that next performance mod.

Seriously, I had a Pioneer cassette player in the Buick for the longest time and finally gave it up for a Sony Xplod. I was amazed at the difference in sound that I was missing. Not to say that the newer Pioneers don't have good sound.. I don't know. I just came across a deal on the Sony and it's like my amp and sub woke up.

Very good advice on this thread for a low cost unit.
Thanks Chris I owe you one problem is after 5 years of the turbo spool and dirt bike drone I need some tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireberd350 View Post
I bought a stocker Buick radio with an AUX port modification from eBay. Costs like $85 plus $40 for a new harness adapter. I haven't tried it yet but it allows me to keep the stock look and have great tunes. I skipped over the whole Disc playing era and went right to digital

Personally I'm not a fan of any aftermarket radio i've seen in a GN. I like the classic look.
I looked at these on ebay and they want around $250 for the "clean fit" stockers I just want a low cost juke box I told myself that I was going to leave the stock radio in to give that "unaltered" interior look but I think I killed that with all the gauges a few years ago. Time for tunes!
1986 Grand National
1984 T-Type
1978 Sport Coupe turbo
Restored & FOR SALE
1997 GTP 2 door
(My favorite)
-Adam-
Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
87GN5litrebeater
Help computer!

It's not stock looking but I like this one! Sony Xplod CDX-GT130 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
1986 Grand National
1984 T-Type
1978 Sport Coupe turbo
Restored & FOR SALE
1997 GTP 2 door
(My favorite)
-Adam-
Old 02-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
1of1547
Village Idiot

Her is the replacement for the one in Mary's Jeep JVC KD-HDR30 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com . It has a digital tuner in it. You can tell when it converts to digital. The sound quality instantly gets better and static is gone. Plus in digital mode most stations have 2 or 3 substations.
Tuned by Anderson Performance
1of1547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
GNBYGM
"Who You Crappin?"

Awesome Factory Radio for GN

Hi,

I saw your post and thought of my situation a while back. When I bought my car it had a POS, malfunctioning Alpine in it. I hated the way that big, clunky plastic dash adapter/filler looked so I got rid of it and installed a stock factory cassette player. I soon remembered how bad the radios in the 80's were. I tried a couple of them and had varying results. Either the amp was too weak and the tuner was crap, or the tuner was good and the cassette player was bad.

Long story short was that I wanted a unit with factory appearance, but with a CD player. I found a guy on Ebay that refurbs and sells them. They are a direct fit, no screwing around with adapters or splicing and they have a nice powerful amp. The factory knobs off my old unit fit on this one and make it even look "correct". I don't know how nuts you are with the whole factory appearance vs. performance. I can say this, I couldn't be happier and it sounds WAAAY better than the stock unit from that year.

He's got one listed right now if you wanted to check it out. Just so you know, it's not me - and I don't have a stake in his sales. He's just a guy who sells great stuff and treats his customers right.

GM RADIO CD PLAYER BUICK GRAND NATIONAL/ MONTE CARLO SS - eBay (item 190287170034 end time Feb-24-09 20:29:16 PST)

- 1987 GN w/ T-Tops. Basically stock. Mods are TT 42 lb. injectors & chip, Hooker 2.5" catback w/ test pipe. Vacuum conversion kit. (3rd owner - purchased 08/07 with 17,000 miles)
- 1967 Camaro RS/SS. Too much to list. Owned since 1990.
GNBYGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
87GN5litrebeater
Help computer!

Thanks for the info bud. I'm sure it is a nice radio but its about $125 overpriced in my book. Espc. for a refurb
1986 Grand National
1984 T-Type
1978 Sport Coupe turbo
Restored & FOR SALE
1997 GTP 2 door
(My favorite)
-Adam-