Engine rebuild. Questions - which bearings, etc... - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Buick V6 Turbo Tech

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
87 WE2
Buick Turbo Performance

Engine rebuild. Questions - which bearings, etc...

I pulled the motor out of my car due to drop in oil pressure, & slight bottom end noise when hot. Upon disassembly I found the thrust surface of the crank torn up and the thrust bearing worn on the thrust surface. Everything else in the engine looks good, mains & rod, cam bearings were in good shape. No damage to the cam, lifters, etc... No metal in the pan, nothing on the pick-up, nothing in the filter, or pre-turbo filter. So it looks like I caught it in time. The oil that came out of it had a silver sheen to it which I am sure was the thrust bearing.

I probably could have the crank fixed and run an oversized thrust bearing but I picked up a fresh std/std crank just magged & polished to use instead.

This for a street car, none or maybe some test & tune passes at the track thatís it. The BUDGET plan is to leave the block std bore if it checks out which it looks like it will, hot tank, mag & hone, and re-use the stock pistons, new rings, recondition rods, reuse stock rod bolts, install new crank, re-use stock main caps and bolts, re-use the stock cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers. I am going to have the heads reconditioned, with comp valve job & ARP head bolts, I do not plan on porting them.

Mods on the car, xp fuel pump, 009's, adj reg, te44 turbo, dutt neck ic, 3" exhaust, d5 converter, 95lb valve springs.

I am up in the air on:
Which brand head gaskets to use, felpro, victors, cometics?
Having the bottom end balanced or not?
Which brand of cam bearings, coated or uncoated?
Which brand of main bearings, coated or- uncoated?
Which brand of rod bearings, coated or uncoated?
Which rings are best replacements for stock pistons?

I have been reading up on bearings but everyone does something different and every shop uses different brands/types which has me confused as which way to go.
What's the deal with the Calico CT-1 coated Rod/Main bearings, I hear they are Speed Pro Sealed Power bearings that are just coated, are these better for race/street or both? What does the coated bearing do for me?

I need to know the best bearing for daily street application with stock rods/crank/mains/& cam. My machine shop will use whatever they or I decide. I am sure there pick of bearing would be fine but I would like to better understand my choices for my application instead of just picking one... Please help

Main Bearings:
CT-1 4M960P Calico CT-1 coated main bearings
SEA 107M Sealed Power Speed Pro main bearings
King bearings
Cleivite bearings

Rod Bearings:
CT-1 6B1228P Calico CT-1 coated rod bearings
Sealed Power Speed Pro SEA 6-7120CH
King bearings
Cleivite bearings

Cam bearings:
BP13T Durabond cam bearings
TA performance's bearings, which ones through TA and why?
1755M Sealed Power Speed PRO bearings
King bearings
Cleivite bearings

Rings
Best replacements for stock pistons?
87 WE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
william brophy

Thumbs up IMHO

I have tried different brands of bearing and now I swing with King! Compared to the other race brand bearing that I have tried I have found that the kings can take more of a lick-en and keep on tick-en like a Timex watch. Seriously I have found that the Kings (rod & main) stand up better in hard use or abuse.

Last edited by william brophy; 01-20-2010 at 12:10 AM.
william brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
artrenee10

Quote:
Originally Posted by william brophy View Post
I have tried different brands of bearing and now I swing with King! Compared to the other race brand bearing that I have tried I have found that the kings can take more of a lick-en and keep on tick-en like a Timex watch. Seriously I have found that the Kings (rod & main) stand up better in hard use or abuse.
X2...I compared a King Cam Bearing with an old Fed Mogul bearing that I had and the results were noticeably different. The King bearing had a grove at the top and bottom of the cam bearing that is for greater oiling. Also the material from King seemed to be much better quality as well...

Completed....Now Sold.....Now Depressed...

90 LX Baby Blue 302
Soon to be a 306 on laughing/happy stuff....Towed.....It was only a parts car not missed..

New Project
87 Cutlass prewired for a LC2

The Torture/Fun Begins.......
artrenee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
williambavila

Send a message via Yahoo to williambavila
WHOLY CRAP I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE TO USE THOSE. they are great for oil pressure and work great, i used them in every circle track car i ran from the time i was 14years old to now. thats 16 years with the king.lol they are the best and not too expensive
williambavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mark Leigh

Loss of thrust bearing

Hi, I'm curious as to why the thrust surface was damaged . Did you make any changes to the transmission, flexplate to cause a loss of end play ?
Mark Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
87 WE2
Buick Turbo Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Leigh View Post
Hi, I'm curious as to why the thrust surface was damaged . Did you make any changes to the transmission, flexplate to cause a loss of end play ?
It was rebuilt by our trans builder, shift kit, billet servo, accumulator plugged, deep pan were the only changes. Running the stock D5 converter, large B&M trans cooler. The converter looks ok phiscally but I am going to have it opened up and checked or go with a new aftermarket converter not sure yet. When we fire it up after the rebuild I am going to have pressure gauge on the trans cooler line to check the pressures and make sure there is not an issue there.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
PhillyTurboSix
Director & PA rep. MAGNA

Send a message via AIM to PhillyTurboSix Send a message via MSN to PhillyTurboSix
Quote:
Originally Posted by william brophy View Post
I've been keeping an eye on this thread as I'm in the same boat as Ed right now so I'm doing research as well. My build is going to be all stock but I want to make it as strong as I can and use the best where and when I can. On these King bearings, where is a good source to get them and does anyone have the part number for the kit for a GN engine? Just figured I'd ask.

Now Ed stop posting and get over there and get my engine out gently!
89 Turbo Trans AM #396 w/ 30K on it. T-tops leather. Featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines. Feb. 06 issue #29 & High Performance Pontiac August 2012
2009 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 6.0L 6L90E Graystone metallic to haul it all around!

BPG Board Of Directors Member #2050
http://www.buickperformancegroup.com/

GSCA #5314

Club Director & Pennsylvania State Representative for MAGNA
Join Today!
http://www.magnabuick.com/

TTA owners sign in..
http://www.turbotransam.com

Have turbo Buick problems? Want your engine bay to look sexy? Click here and e-mail Jim or Ed today!

PhillyTurboSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
87 WE2
Buick Turbo Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyTurboSix View Post
I've been keeping an eye on this thread as I'm in the same boat as Ed right now so I'm doing research as well. My build is going to be all stock but I want to make it as strong as I can and use the best where and when I can. On these King bearings, where is a good source to get them and does anyone have the part number for the kit for a GN engine? Just figured I'd ask.

Now Ed stop posting and get over there and get my engine out gently!
Full throttle stocks the king bearings, probably the way I am going to go. I have been told to have all the King main bearings drilled out to 1/4 and deburred for a stock build.
You will not be able to order the bearings untill the machine shop specs the sizes you will need. They may be able to get the King bearings, I havent asked them yet.
It will be out Saturday morning, can I paint the rusty power master bracket while its out?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
PhillyTurboSix
Director & PA rep. MAGNA

Send a message via AIM to PhillyTurboSix Send a message via MSN to PhillyTurboSix
lol I painted some of that already! I only did half the firewall you can finish that up for me tho!
89 Turbo Trans AM #396 w/ 30K on it. T-tops leather. Featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines. Feb. 06 issue #29 & High Performance Pontiac August 2012
2009 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 6.0L 6L90E Graystone metallic to haul it all around!

BPG Board Of Directors Member #2050
http://www.buickperformancegroup.com/

GSCA #5314

Club Director & Pennsylvania State Representative for MAGNA
Join Today!
http://www.magnabuick.com/

TTA owners sign in..
http://www.turbotransam.com

Have turbo Buick problems? Want your engine bay to look sexy? Click here and e-mail Jim or Ed today!

PhillyTurboSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
gnetic86
Registered Luser

WHAT?? No POWDER COATING? Great its really going to snow tonight isn't it...
Mods: Hotwired Walbro 340 Fuel Pump, 009 inj (42lb),
Billet Adj. FPR, Turbotweak 5.6 Chip
160 deg. 'stat, K&N Cone Intake, RJC Power Plate
TA-49 Turbo, Powerlogger
MAGNA Assistant Director & PA Rep
gnetic86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
gnetic86
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 WE2 View Post
It was rebuilt by our trans builder, shift kit, billet servo, accumulator plugged, deep pan were the only changes. Running the stock D5 converter, large B&M trans cooler. The converter looks ok phiscally but I am going to have it opened up and checked or go with a new aftermarket converter not sure yet. When we fire it up after the rebuild I am going to have pressure gauge on the trans cooler line to check the pressures and make sure there is not an issue there.
Hey Ed I remember Pauly saying something about the D5 converters having ballooning issues causing thrust bearing failure. Mentioned something about a service bulletin or recall on it way back when, you may want to check with him.
Mods: Hotwired Walbro 340 Fuel Pump, 009 inj (42lb),
Billet Adj. FPR, Turbotweak 5.6 Chip
160 deg. 'stat, K&N Cone Intake, RJC Power Plate
TA-49 Turbo, Powerlogger
MAGNA Assistant Director & PA Rep
gnetic86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
turbomonte2
Older--but Getting Wiser

All King for me--as selected by my well-known engine builder...
83 Riviera Convert--42k Orig'l mi...
51 Ford Victoria (HT)--350/350...

Some remaining GN stuff for sale: Boxed stock LCAs, ECM (for Hot Air), Rad'r Fan/Shroud, AC condnsr, Misc. Wheels,,,

Some other stuff still laying around:
51 Merc Cpe (302, C4)
49 Ford (steel-not kit) on 87 T-Bird chassis
64 Corvair Spyder (GM Turbo6)--mostly stock
41 Ford 2dr (350, 700R4, 4whl disks)--recent purchase
>> Wealth cannot multiply by dividing it...<<
turbomonte2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
william brophy

"I" would not modify the bearings. Most machine shops can get them for you.

Last edited by william brophy; 01-21-2010 at 11:29 PM.
william brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement