Starts then stalls, runs rich?? Please help. - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Buick V6 Turbo Tech

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Danny

Unhappy Starts then stalls, runs rich?? Please help.

Hey guys i have and 87 grand national that starts fine then dies. It will run for about 2 seconds then dies instantly, it will restart everytime. It seems to be running rich when it starts, I have checked almost everything on this car. The tach is out on the dash it reads about 2000 rpm when its at 900 rpm, and always shows boost on the boost gauge, about 5 psi or so. I can get it to idle by pulling out the prom chip. whats with that? it runs very rich though, it will not run with the prom in, just will start and run great then stall after 2 seconds. i can sometimes get it warm with the prom out and then once warm put the factory prom in and it will idle good. but then it will just cut out when i give it gas, sometimes sputters and spools up into high rpm. I need some help has anybody experienced this with their car??? tps is set up right and range is good, fuel is in block 128, maf data is good. has no codes. ignition side of things is all good. injectors pulse good. fuel pressure set up at 39 psi, ????? It should run.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
shmed

faulty ecm??
Old 05-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
ES

It runs because it goes into the limp mode.

Did it just start doing this?
Any changes?
ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Danny

Unhappy

tried another ecm and a bunch of different proms no change in anything, everything acts exactly the same, shmed. I did not change anything, i bought the car like this on the back of a tow truck about 6 month ago, now i want to get it running proper, i am stumped?! ES. i had a few other techs over as well. any other ideas?????? anybody???????? thanks for the help so far guys. when i unplug the crank sensor it does not start, when i unplug the cam sensor it does not start, do you think its possable the cam sensor is not adjusted right though???? cant be a bad o2 sensor???? I think its definently a air/fuel issue, but it has a new maf and the readings are good.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
gbsean
Not a Democrat any more..

Send a message via Yahoo to gbsean
who's chip...is it matched to injectors....is it a anti-theft chip....

www.buickperformancegroup.com

gbsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Just a Six??
OK! Who Farted Again??

Sounds like Anti-Theft but he tried other chips & ECM with same results. Maybe fuel?
The sticker on AC shows a V-8 Carb car.
Special order by the VP (maybe President?) of GM Canada! Not another like it! Starting to look up details & google has some. Still looking for current contact info for Mr. Nick Hall The phone number from build order is now expired. Any help is Appreciatted!!
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-12-...anadian-plants

Lots of Go Fast goodies!
11.5 is as Fast as I go! Thats what the track told me!
2004 Black with 2 tone tan leather Yukon Denali for towing needs. Drives like a couch on wheels!

It's a Small World, but I wouldn't want to Paint It!!

BPG Member #2040

Just a Six?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Danny

I tried the pitbull and turbo tweek chips matched to these injectors, then tried my friends other 40 lbs injector chips, same results with all, even with the stock chip/prom. the fuel is good, ???? how does the anti-theft work, i never knew they had it in these cars??????
Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
ES

1) I would try unplugging the MAF and see what it does.

2) I would clean & check the IAC.
ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Danny

I unplugged the MAF and it runs now, it's even drivable but sputters and misses, i drove it and it just has very poor drivability, you have to ease into the gas, but it still runs very poor, even at an idle, the factory tach is still reading too high??? I guess the main issue is that it runs now but runs with very poor drivability. obviously has a check engine light on now, did not even check the IAC yet, should i? Does this mean it needs a MAF?? This one is a new one right now. I will try my friends MAF out of his TTA. What are your thoughts???
Old 06-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Danny

oh ya i forgot to mention that when i unplug the maf like i said it runs, when i plug it back in with it running it stalls. with it plugged in it starts then stalls as it did before. it has no codes with it plugged in and maf readings look good.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
gbsean
Not a Democrat any more..

Send a message via Yahoo to gbsean
try friends maf....the rebuilt ones are a crap shoot at best....what do maf#'s read...ign on engine off...and engine @ idle

www.buickperformancegroup.com

gbsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Danny

Talking

Thanks all you guys who helped me out, my friends MAF has fixed the car. I wish i would have just bought the new one from gm, the rebuilt piece of $hit is exactly what you said it is.a"piece of $hit" thanks gbsean, ES, Just a six, shmed. I kinda feel stuipid for having trust in jobber junk parts, it wasted my time and made me start to doubt my drivability skills. really though how often do you get junk parts. oh well....Thanks again boys!!!!! One last question, Is it worth it to put on the Maf translator and use the new style 5.7 vortec MAF??????? Any issues???? or should i stay stock. Does anybody have one of these????? i am also looking for maf piping from the turbo to the maf and from the maf to a filter, anybody got something for sale??? thanx Danny. I already have the 98 5.7 vortec maf available to me.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
djjm06
Ted Nugent for president

I use the LT1 Maf and translator..get rid of the stock one there nothing but trouble.
djjm06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement