Best stock location intercooler? - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Buick V6 Turbo Tech

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
BooBoo231cu

Question Best stock location intercooler?

I know this has been asked before, but I want the newest info. I want one without having to hack or grind anything! I know most people say a front mount is better, but I can't see how you wouldn't get a little lag with FM. I like the feel of the stock, almost instant spool time. What are you guys running, and how much did you pay. $$ is somewhat important, but when it comes down to it I would pay more for the best. I want to run about #22 of boost. Once I get my engine rebuilt, that is. We will just have to see how long this one lasts.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jake

MPE stuff is nice. They make a monster 24 row stock location intercooler, but I think its over kill.
MAGNA Member
www.MAGNABuick.com
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Russ Merritt

That Thunderfab stock location isn't a bad deal. Bar and plate core and 22 rows. Sweet I/C for the $
Russ Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
BooBoo231cu

Thanks for the reply's guys. Not to many people responding to this one. Is that my indication to get a front mount???
Old 01-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gary Wells

FWIW & IMHO:
I can't really pass any judgement here as I have yet to buy my stock mount, but I have looked at Thunder Fab, Mease/Meese, and 1 other and I have decided that I will stick with the factory mount. I know that the front mounts are more efficient, but i really don't like the looks of the tubes, regardless whether they run on the bottom or the top.
'98 honda CBR1100XX, 1.2K miles
Garage prostitutes to the max
Gary Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Steve Wood
Scam Detector Enabled

There is no best IC, it really depends upon your peformance level and your combination. Most are probably overkill for 75%, or more, of us.

In theory, the front mount should be the best with regard to heat soak, etc. On the other hand, for a driver, it has several potential downsides. In the end, if you are running in the 11s, you may not be able to demonstrate that you got your moneys worth. And then there are the guys that run in the 9's on old stock cores welded together with new tanks...of course, unless they run a new unit in direct comparison, we will never know what they might run with a newer unit.

I believe most of the IC claims are hype. No one will take the time, spend the money, and take the risk of running valid tests. That leaves us to determine if we really need what is being sold, or, can we spend less and go just as fast.

www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

I consider all posts on any Board to be my personal property as per the law and they may be used by anyone freely, but, no one can be charged to access my personal posts.
Steve Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
BooBoo231cu

Talking

I hate to say it, but I stole a good idea from a ricer. We all know the WRX's have the intercooler on top of the engine, and that they get heat soaked. Well this kid at the track was spraying nitrous on his intercooler. I thought "what a great idea." Thats what I am thinking about doing with my stock intercooler. Now thats one efficient stock intercooler. Whats do you guys think of that.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Orlando_87GN
Resident Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Orlando_87GN
I think that's probably very dangerous.

------------------------------------------------
1987 Buick Grand National
Budget 4.1, 204/214 cam, TA-49 Turbo, Stockish Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, Translator plus Extender powered. 3680# with pilot
------------------------------------------------
1993 Mazda RX-7 4.1 Buick Powered
11.20 @ 128mph (2.4 60')!
Orlando_87GN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
forzfed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo231cu
I hate to say it, but I stole a good idea from a ricer. We all know the WRX's have the intercooler on top of the engine, and that they get heat soaked. Well this kid at the track was spraying nitrous on his intercooler. I thought "what a great idea." Thats what I am thinking about doing with my stock intercooler. Now thats one efficient stock intercooler. Whats do you guys think of that.
You'd get kicked off the track! CO2 is much better and won't catch on fire.
forzfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Steve Wood
Scam Detector Enabled

and, if you get it too cold, you may find things cracking that you don't want to crack!

www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

I consider all posts on any Board to be my personal property as per the law and they may be used by anyone freely, but, no one can be charged to access my personal posts.
Steve Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
BooBoo231cu

My bad, maybe it was Co2. He had a little tube with holes drilled in it. and a bottle somewhere in the car. When he sprayed it it kinda froze up and was cold to the touch. Would Co2 be ok? Yeah, that was pretty funny. I sound like a ricer! Gimmie some NAZZ man!
Old 01-20-2005, 11:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
More_Boost!!

Nitrous Oxide Flammable?

This is a misconception dating back a very long time,

Nitrous oxide N2o is not a fuel, it will not burn unless fuel is mixed with it...

The chemical properties of nitrous oxide are two parts nitrogen, one part oxygen, therefore making the oxygen weight roughly around 36%. Nitrous oxide is not combustible, it is an oxidizer. This means that it provides more oxygen to the air so that things can burn. The oxygen in the molecule is not free and is not released until it reaches 565o F. Since combustion temperatures in the cylinder are far greater than this temperature, problems in breakdown never occur.
After being broken down into the nitrogen and oxygen molecules separately, the oxygen is free to combust, while the nitrogen is used to reduce temperature drastically inside the chamber, usually up to 75o F.

But, Still, Track officials will not allow Nitrous to be sprayed on intercoolers, they think extremely dangerous... yet... I've never seen a flammable sticker on a nitrous tank

Thanks
Bill
Old 01-21-2005, 01:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
slo87gn

i dont think nitrous is that flammable by itself?i had a friend who held a cigarette up to nitrous when it was being purged and it didnt do a thing.
slo87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
GNVYUS 1

If you want a big core and great customer service, go with the PTE.

If you want the best bang for the buck, go with the Duttweiler neck and an alky kit. There is no stock location that can match that performance, let alone for that price. 22psi on methanol should not be a problem with moderate timing.

Rebuild #2, BLK/BL Paint w/Custom Metal Flares, VPE Stg 3 Heads, 210/215 Roller Cam, TA49, Billet Drum/Input, PTC 9.5", T Brake, Inland 3.5" DS, KB Plenum/70mm TB, Razor's Post Turbo & Devils Own Pre Turbo Alky Kits, 80lb Inj, Bosch 044 Pump & my custom fitting,-8/-6 SS Fuel Lines, MBC, Pwr Plt, Turbo Protector and -3 Feedline, Preluber, Z06 Maf, Translator, Volt Master, Poston Headers, THSS 3.5" DP/Test Pipe, SS 2.5" Y Pipe w/No Muffs, PST 2" Drop, Poly Bushings, Boxed Upper/Lower Arms, QA1 Rear Shocks, Vacuum Brakes, Aerospace 10.75" Brakes w/SS lines, Alum Drums, Polished Autodrags 15x8/15x10, Nitto 555R 275/60's
GNVYUS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
BooBoo231cu

Question

I have heard people say that the duttweiler neck is a wate of money. Thank you for your info. Can anyone else comment on this? Maybe somone who did the duttweiler neck, and thats all. Then went out and tested it. GNVYUS, do you have the neck? Maybe you are soeaking from experience?
Advertisement