Does a bad crank sensor prevent spark? - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Buick V6 Turbo Tech

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2004, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
SoCalSooner

Does a bad crank sensor prevent spark?

If the crank sensor is bad will this prevent spark? So if it does prevent spark and the car will not start, but will backfire, then the crank sensor could be good?
SoCalSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
mrTimbo

Send a message via MSN to mrTimbo
Hey.. look at this. http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/
mrTimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Scott231
TSM Point Series Director

If the engine backfires, the crank sensor is active and is sending a signal to the ECM. Hook up a scan tool and watch the RPM readout if you wanna be sure. If the car won't start, there is a simple set of rules for determining why. I'd send you the link to gnttype, but it is down. You could download the Chassis Manual from Bandit's website and do a search for the diagnosis...which is where the gnttype diagnostic tree on this subject comes from anyway.
Scott231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
SoCalSooner

It does backfire, so I got a new cam sensor cap with a nice 'pin' and installed that. No difference. I installed the Casper Quick Start Module. No difference, but maybe I didn't crank it long enough. There is an LED that blinks at the same rate as the Scanmaster.

I have the shop manuals. I was not sure what the "blinking injector test light" is. Is it just a 12v tail light with two connectors and clips?

I do not get any codes on the ScanMaster while I am cranking the engine. When I check for codes the ScanMaster displays all 8's with periods or dots between them, like

8.8.8. 8.8.8.
_______^ this dot blinks as long as I hold down the recall on the ScanMaster. (the underline is for spacing out the caret)

On http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/ he mentions a Noid Lite. What is a Noid Lite? I guess I could go to the autopart store and ask for one.
SoCalSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Steve Wood
Scam Detector Enabled

small bulb that plugs into the injector harness

I believe all the required trees are on my site

Use the shortcut posted on the troubleshooting page to narrow the problem down.

Visually inspect the crank sensor to make sure its bracket is not partially broken and the sensor is no longer maintaining its gap as well.

www.vortexbuicks-etc.com

I consider all posts on any Board to be my personal property as per the law and they may be used by anyone freely, but, no one can be charged to access my personal posts.
Steve Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement