Wet shot or dry shot with Turbo Buick 350 - TurboBuicks.com

TurboBuicks.com  
Go Back   TurboBuicks.com > Technical Forums > Alcohol, Propane & Nitrous

TurboBuicks.com is the premier Buick Regal Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Turbo Skylark

Wet shot or dry shot with Turbo Buick 350

I am trying to decide whether to use a wet or dry shot of nitrous on my 70 Skylark powered by a Twin Turbo Buick 350. I am using a custom sheet metal intake manifold and BT CSU carb... I am having direct port nitrous bungs put into the intake runners of the intake and trying to decide if a wet shot would be best. I am thinking that if I spray the car out of the hole with a 120 shot then it will help get the turbos into the boost and then at 5 psi I can have the nitrous shut off and go off the boost from there...

Anyone with nitrous experience please chime in and tell me how it worked for you.

Here is a run down on the car and my goals:

70 Skylark
3900 pounds race weight
6 point cage
355 cid Buick 350 engine at 8.5:1 compression (last dyno was 398 hp NA hoping for more like 440 hp next dyno run then to the chassis dyno with the boost)
T3/T4 hybrid turbos, fabricated tube headers, air/air intercooler, CSU BT carb, alum sheet metal single plane intake, $3000 in head porting and work done to stock Buick 350 heads, SBC 1.6 ratio roller rockers on custom conversion kit to fit, mild street cam (2500-6500 rpm range), Diamond racing pistons for nitrous use, custom forged rods build to handle 1200 hp, lightened crank, ballanced assembly, block girdle ect

4L80E trans, 4.11 gear in 12 bolt, 30X10.5" tires

The car is a street car that I plan to drive every weekend and race a few times a year.... So let me know what you think about the nitrous options and how it will go with the turbos.
Turbo Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Old Buzzard
Older than dirt

Send a message via AIM to Old Buzzard
Dry shot?? How do you propose to add the fuel, using a carb??
440FW w/ a "mild cam" and 8.5 compression, N/A???
706-342-3152
86 GN.. Gone, but not forgotten
55 Chevy/LQ9 tyr fryer
Old Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Turbo Skylark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Buzzard View Post
Dry shot?? How do you propose to add the fuel, using a carb??
440FW w/ a "mild cam" and 8.5 compression, N/A???
Yes, it looks like adding the wet shot into the runners would be easier to tune than adding the extra fuel through the carb.

Yes, the engine made 398 hp with 8.5:1 NA and I have made MANY improvements since then... The rods and pistons are tons lighter than the ones used in the last dyno run... The old heads were home ported and my intake manifold was a alum dual plane that choked the power... Now I have heads that made 540 hp NA on a Buick 350 with higher compression. From what I have read with the lower compession I should loose about 100 hp vs the 12.5:1 that the guy was running when he made 540 hp. The custom sheet metal intake should be worth about 40 hp NA and tons more under boost. Yes it is a mild cam, smooth idle but the 1.6 roller rockers get me enough lift.

Here is a link to another 350 Buick that I was involved with... Just an example of the 350 potential. My heads are MUCH better than the ones in the following build:

This was built by Finnishline Motorsports in MI, the owners 16 year old son did all the work.

Well we just got home from the dyno with the 370 inch motor. you can't wipe the smile off my sons face. He built this thing with a little guidance from me but he did all the core work he bored, honed, ported the heads and intake. He did all the over size valve cutting and assembly. I did the Burton rocker conversion on the heads but for the most part he did it all. This is the basics of the combo.

The crank was cut for a set of Yates NASCAR take out rods the crank was stroke to reach a stroke of 370 inches.
Pistons are a set of wiscoe pro tru 3.8 Buick forged pieces we used the rings that came with them.
The rods are steel 6.300 1.850 big end with pressure oiled pins.
Cam is a custom competition components pieces ground for us as a blower motor cam
roll master 9 key way
new front cover
73 iron heads ported by a 16 year old to 235 intake 195 exhaust Burton machine rocker conversion with prw roller rockers
ta dual plane intake ported by my son also
carbs
with no boost we used a 750 vacuum secondary pro series Proform
and when we but it on boost we used a 650 quick fuel blow thru unit (thanks Doug)
So here are the numbers

N/A it made peak torque at 4800 @ 449 ftlbs HP was at 5300 and was 422.
this thing was an animal with torque at 3500 it made 423 and never dropped below 400 until 5500 and was still 396

Then we added a P1SC procharger and with 6LBS yes I said 6LBS it made 588 FTLBS of torque and 630 HP all of that on 92 octane peak HP was at 6000 and peak torque was at 5200 but once again 4000 it had 549 ft-lbs and at 6000 it had 551. we started the pull with the charger at 4000 we figured not point in pulling it down lower than that we set cruise and idle AFR's

I LOVE BOOST

Video of the dyno run

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zktYYQhCtqU

Last edited by Turbo Skylark; 10-06-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Turbo Skylark

Keep in mind that we can not just buy perfomance heads and intakes ect for these engines... It takes some custom stuff to make power.. It sure is cool to make power with an engine that no one knows anything about though!

There was another procharged Buick 350 that made over 1000 hp and ran 8s in the quarter!

It is after all very similar to the 3.8 Turbo engine with two more cylinders...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Turbo Skylark

I am doing the engine work and my good friend is doing all the fabrication, machine work, and welding since he owns a full fab shop. Burton Machine in Wenatchee Washington is the shop!

He specializes in turbo-charging Buicks, Olds and Pontiacs since he likes cars that are neglected by after-market and different! If anyone wants a Turbo kit for a Pontiac all they need to do is get him a car to make the first kit then he can make more for order!

Here is HIS Twin Turbo Buick 350 powered Skylark that weighs 3150 pounds! He is building a tube chassis and shooting for 9s with 350 cid!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...009/twins5.jpg

YouTube - Twin Turbo Buick 350 Skylark Cruising
he built the turbo kit for this car too! Turbo Buick 455 in Camaro!!!

YouTube - Twin Turbo 455 Buick Skymaro

His work is incredible and without him this would be impossible!! Speaking of which he built the dual 3" exhaust that he made himself.. This guy has talent!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Old Buzzard
Older than dirt

Send a message via AIM to Old Buzzard
Good luck... sounds like a fun project....
706-342-3152
86 GN.. Gone, but not forgotten
55 Chevy/LQ9 tyr fryer
Old Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement