Turbo Buick Forums banner

Need to make a dent.

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Old Buzzard 
#1 ·
Hi Ya'll my downpipe is barely touching the frame and I'd like to dent it. Any suggestions on the best way to approach this?

The car has HR motor mounts.

Thanks,

Bishir

#2 ·
Mark the area, remove pipe, heat it & a Big Hammer should work? :dunno:

#4 ·
fix the problem that is causing the pipe to hit...of course some of these pipes may be built badly...usually engine or tranny mounts

#5 ·
HR motor and tranny mount. Should be set there. Pipe is the 3" from fullthrottle. It would clear if the entire pipe could move towards the drivers side a nudge.

#8 ·
My chinese pipe hit my frame as well. Didn't want to dent the pipe so i made the three header bolt holes a little bigger and clocked the turbo clockwise just enough so the turbo still met the intercooler. 3/4"frame clearance now and the downpipe still mates with the converter.

#10 ·
Drive a metal wedge between the 2 until desired clearance achieved....

#11 ·
That must be some bad foreign crap. I have a 3.5" THDP with Eibach springs car is lowered a bit
it was tight but I got clearance all around. In any regards I did do my motor mounts and tranny mount before I even thought about installing the downpipe. Good luck might use a 5lb hammer with some cardboard if you want to dent it?

Stefan

#12 ·
Well dented it and when I installed it I noticed another problem. Stupid pipe comes out about 40degrees to the ground instead of 180. How the he'll am I supposed to mate this with the exhaust? I'm sending it back!

#15 ·
That'll

work!
It wouldn't fit to begin with. So you beat the snot out of it, & still doesn't fit, and you want to send it back?????:confused:

#13 ·
Picture Time

Now it's everyone's favorite time, picture time!

1st picture shows the dump pipe attached so everyone can see the awesome angle this thing exits the engine compartment with. Now everyone can see my shiny dump pipe! :headbang:

2nd picture shows the downpipe snugged against the frame feeling all cozy.

Final picture shows where I had to cut the inner fender for the pipe to clear. At this point I didn't really pay attention to the angle the pipe exited the engine compartment or I wouldn't have cut to begin with... Anyways notice the shiny sticker... that's the HR motor mount..

Attachments

#14 ·
Holycrap the used Mease pipe i baught fit like a glove and my motor mounts are worn and in no way was mine like that. Had to be welded wrong on the jig

#16 ·
Thinking along the same lines, after you alter it in any way, it's yours for keeps..... the vendor won't be able to send it back to the supplier for correction/refund.

Chuck

#17 ·
I would think the vendor will take it back as well the supplier in the case of one that is clearly made incorrectly as this one was.

I also think the supplier should start comparing them to a jig to prevent one like this from making it to the marketplace as well as raise heck with the manufacturer as to the lack of quality control.

#18 ·
I don't disagree, I'm working with a deadline and I tried to make something fit that now clearly is shown would not. I don't see how Ol Buzzard determined I beat the snot out of the pipe in the pictures, but oh well. :rolleyes:
I also ordered the pipe with a wideband bung which it did not come with but I had one welded on at my own expense. I guess I try to make things work when I should just be more of an ass about it. Clearly some folks have no problems with that.

I've never had bad dealings with Mike and Full Throttle and they've received plenty of my money in the past. I'm pretty sure they'll take care of it. I don't really see how this pipe could have been fixed now that I've buttoned up the exhaust and dump pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.