Turbo Buick Forums banner

Buick v6 solid roller lifter?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  JoeHorvith 
#1 ·
Is there a Buick v6 solid roller lifter available that drops into a production style
block with no machine work required or oiling system worries? I think the brand x lifters cause the oil gallery to become "uncovered" briefly because they don't have all the required dimensions for the Buick v6.

Alternatively, anyone tried the converted hyd roller lifters? And who does the conversion again? TIA

Todd

#2 ·
I tried solid lifters on my Pontiac & the knock sensor retarded timing so bad it wouldn't even run. I haven't tried solids in my TR, however I believe the same problem would appear. There are many hydraulic roller cams available for the TR. I plan on going with one of the hydraulic rollers later.

#5 ·
The Power Source book mentions this, and says you need "shielded foot" lifters, "available from a variety of aftermarket sources". Now who those sources are, I dunno.
Comp Cams lists a variety of (Chebby) solid rollers in their catalog, including some with an "oil band" for small base circle cams; maybe if you call their tech line they could tell you what'd work?

BTW, I checked some production GM hydraulic rollers in my 4.1 block; the oil hole on the lifter came out of the lifter bore at full lift. Not good...the 853-12 Comp hydraulics feature an oil bleed further down on the lifter body which fixes this.

Good luck!

------------------
Kendall Frederick
Orange Park, FL
various cars, some running

#6 ·
I responded to this on the "other board"
Comp Cams #868-12

Louie
'84 GN

------------------
TA33 (John Craig), ported modified stock intake, ATR Headers, Uppipe, CrossOver, and 3" Single Shot exhaust, Champion 14 bolt Aluminum heads, Schneider Solid roller camshaft, Steve Chlupsa Alky System, NOS adjustable system set at 75 horses, Balanced short block assembly overbored .030 TRW Forged, polished Rods, Race Jase Main Stud girdled block, high volume oil pump aftermarket timing chain cover, double roller timing chain set, 36lb "Blue Top" Ford injectors,walbro 340 fuel pump, Translator Plus MAF conversion with extender chip, TLink, Scanmaster-2, (Spearco intercooler conversion Front Mount-awaiting install), Caspers knock noise meter, and knock guage, Turbo 400 Switch pitch trans, Centerline rims, and IRACEIT license plate.

"Banned from BuickGN"

#7 ·
Been running a soild roller in my car now for over 3 years with no problems... Driven daily on the street to this last year.. Just had no time to drive it... Also Harry at PTE makes a nice roller cam that just drops in with no mods and the price is alot cheaper than other roller cams out there..
Joe Horvith... Noslo6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.